It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Build a Death Star’ petition clears threshold for Obama response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Being a big Star Wars fan, I found this very amusing. I wonder what the cost would be for such a project? Would it even be attainable with the the current technology available? I'm not sure, but its kind of fun to think about. However, something like this would most likely fall into the wrong hands, of course, and there would be a new "technological terror" out there.

Those who sign here petition the United States government to secure funding and resources, and begin construction on a Death Star by 2016," the petition reads. "By focusing our defense resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense." Some estimates put the cost of doing so at around $852 quadrillion, roughly 13,000 times the gross domestic product of the entire Earth—even when factoring in the savings of not putting any guardrails around any of the facility's seemingly endless number of bridges, spans, shafts and pits. And history cautions against being too proud of the technological terror thus constructed, because the ability to destroy a planet, or even a whole system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Anyway, just thought I would share it with other science fiction enthusiasts and/ or Star Wars fans.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

Nope, not possible. We can't even maintain an adequate space program, let alone build a planet sized space craft.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Response from the White House, "ah, no."

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What's so funny, is my brother was dumb enough to sign this. He even plastered the petition everywhere to get people to sign it.

I still can't stop laughing.

He's such a moron.

edit on 13-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I guess these people don't know it's illegal to weaponize space.

Outer Space Treaty

The Outer Space Treaty represents the basic legal framework of international space law. Among its principles, it bars States Parties to the Treaty from placing nuclear weapons or any other weapons of mass destruction in orbit of Earth, installing them on the Moon or any other celestial body, or to otherwise station them in outer space. It exclusively limits the use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes and expressly prohibits their use for testing weapons of any kind, conducting military maneuvers, or establishing military bases, installations, and fortifications (Art.IV). However, the Treaty does not prohibit the placement of conventional weapons in orbit. The treaty also states that the exploration of outer space shall be done to benefit all countries and shall be free for exploration and use by all the States.

Besides who wants a piece of crap like a death star anyway? It's slow to fire and can be taken out with one shot. You should go for something useful like a galaxy class star cruiser.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
I guess these people don't know it's illegal to weaponize space.

Outer Space Treaty

Who's going to enforce it when there's a Death Star up there?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
ha ha, I know this is not a feasable option at this point, maybe 50 to a hundred years down the road, possibly. However, its kind of fun to think about, Im just not sure its the best thing to petition the government for. I mean really, do we want the government building a death star for one? and for 2, there are some other ridiculous things on the petition site as well. Kind of funny, if you think about it

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Go for it America!
Might I suggest incorporating a small unshielded thermal exhaust port, say maybe oh I dunno....um.. two meters wide at the end of a long equatorial trench?

No reason. Sure what could go wrong?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

This....

... petition? Is exactly why the concept of direct Democracy is a bad idea.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Too late I already built one…..

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well, look at it this way guys. A Death Star built to today's system of military contractors and to low bid contracts wouldn't need a futuristic Luke Skywalker to fly in and make the 1:1 Billion shot down the tail pipe.

They'd just need to power up and use the main weapon once....and the sheer stress not properly accounted for, combined with shoddy equipment and material people figured would be good enough for Government work would leave the poor thing coming apart in mid-space right in the middle of the shot. They'd spend years trying to figure out if the test caused the breakup or the break up was just kinda happening anyway and the light from the shot was coincidental.

Oh...and I forgot.. We'd naturally need to pretty much mortgage the whole planet to build the little one here by the time cost over-runs and 'We've come this far...might as well....." costs got figured in.

Why not? The Obama campaign symbol would even fit right in the main deflector array.

*Hey, look what I found on the net! Someone has a special view to the future and caught a glimpse of Obama-1!

(Sorry.. couldn't resist. )
edit on 13-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: I did see a Death Star!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Please add any comments to existing thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join