It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban To Attend Paris Meeting On Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

So these men.

Taliban as they're called, or at least some call them, from this country...

The country of Afghanistan. Well... These men are coming here...

To the city of lights, Paris. To have a chat...

Here's a link to the news STORY that initially caught my attention and prompted me to make this thread.

I have deliberately kept my thread vague, and made sure not to ask any questions of the reader, in the hopes of generating a different kind of discussion.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- The Taliban say they will attend a meeting in France to discuss Afghanistan's future but will not talk about peace and reconciliation. Spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said by telephone on Monday that two of the group's representatives will attend next week's meeting, which is being organized by a French think tank on the outskirts of Paris.

The meeting is not expected to produce results, but it will represent a rare-face-to-face gathering of Afghanistan's major players. French Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Vincent Floreani says an intra-Afghan conference will be held this month and organized by the Foundation for Strategic Research.

Thoughts ATS.

SS

edit on 033131p://pm3146 by Spike Spiegle because: added text

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It's a good thing. Any chance to end the war in Afghanistan should be taken. It's been going on longer than the first and second world war combined. I hope something constructive comes from this. So we can finally end this thing without the loss of more lives. I don't expect much, but its a start maybe.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It's been going on longer than the first and second world war combined

I cannot recount the amount of times I have said the EXACT same thing, that single fact alone should turn heads.

SS

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

I'm always interested to hear the reasoning behind wanting to stay there any longer. You would have thought a look at the history of trying to occupy Afghanistan would be enough for anyone to realise it's well over time we left.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Indeed.

One quick look and the reader soon realizes that Afghanistan has never been " easy " to hold shall we say...

Afghanistan

SS

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
what has always surprised me is the rate at which foreign entities have wanted to seize and hold Afghanistan

what is it about this goat herding country that makes it so appealing?

the great game anyone?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

what is it about this goat herding country that makes it so appealing?

Agreed, if it were but one or two invasions it could be explained off.

But.

One can go back two thousand years and more, wars have been fought constantly over this piece of land...
Alexander is famous for having decided to fall back from the Area as a poster mentioned above.
I for one am curious when it comes to the continued occupation of said country, throughout the ages.

SS
edit on 043131p://pm3144 by Spike Spiegle because: can't spell

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
What I find wierd is that this seems to have made the rounds in the American press, but it has not been revealed at all in France!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I would say opium is the reason for the interest in afghanistan and france is one of the largest producers of morphine which is made from opium along with heroin and codiene.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
and opium is a fine modern reason, but in antiquity this place has been occupied and reoccupied.

opium wasnt always the cash crop it is today

so what made so many nations decide afghanistan was worth the blood?

as previous poster stated, even alexander the great eyed it up

new topics

top topics

join