It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Book That Will Make You Question Everything You Know About Dinosaurs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
So I guess most of you have never heard of "forensic's"

Did you know they can take a Human skull and reconstruct a human face, without ANY skin on it and be about 75% plus accuracy??

Did you know that they can take a person's picture at age 10 , and age it to 20 years or more?? again with 75% or more accuracy?

Did you know the if you dig a hole you are looking into the past, the deeper you dig, the further back in time it is??

This is FACT!

Did you know that the Sciences, is the only study that makes corrections??

Did you know that some folks believe in a book that is over 2000 years old, and is contradictory yet is taken as FACT???

Did you know there is a world repository of Knowledge at your finger tips, but most folks Don't use it??

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The dinosaur topic is a fascinating one at that. I understand that human have only speculation and no concrete evidence of anything about the dino-age. Yet people take mainstream ideas of dinosaurs so literally like we no all about it.
Having bones is just the surface of these creatures. If we were able to look through a window of Earth's history, the dino-age, we would see how alien WE are to this planet. The human being did not belong to Earth, the human IS the alien.

Something people never think about because they blindly consider that we own this planet, we run this planet, and its always been that way.. its called ignorance if you didnt catch it.

I have a belief that most dinosaurs were gentle and passive creatures; but the mainstream for SOME reason wants us to percieve beasts who ate eachother.. this is so bias and bad imaging/profiling of a RACE (dino-race)that we know little about.

Makes you wonder if those dinos being whiped out was intentional, to make human seeding more secure on this planet? hmm..
well thats something we will remain ignorant for, for a very long time.

OP - cool book, the pictures were deffinately 'alien' in perception lol! It was amusing and a different approach of the dinos.
Dinosaurs, wether humans care or not, were a HUGE part of this planet's history. Its probable they were here much longer then the humans were in terms of age. This planet is STILL a huge puzzle/mystery to us so called intelligent-dominating race.
If we run this planet, why do we know so little about it... oh thats right ignorance. We're too focused on making society work and controlling eachother, we dont spend enough time with the nature and all it gives us (which is everything around you).

"deny ignorance"

Thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by downunderET

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
reply to post by GrandStrategy

What you know is what you have been taught, it does not make it fact.

You are indeed correct, also the fact that all we know is from what we have dug up or read.

It is a good thread, BUT, once again the really difficult questions are not addressed.

ie Where did the dinosaurs come from?

Since I work with paleontologists, I can tell you -- from something called archosaurs: en.wikipedia.org...

Because this information is freely available but isn't taught in schools (it really takes YEARS to get around to the complexities here -- the geology, digs, comparative anatomy studies, museum research, etc (and I am speaking from real hardcore experience)) most folks don't actually look it up even when it is out there in a fairly reliable source.

Wikipedia's a good start for some of these things that are glossed over (or presented as "mysterious") by certain cultures.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveisanArt
The dinosaur topic is a fascinating one at that. I understand that human have only speculation and no concrete evidence of anything about the dino-age.

I worked for three years on some pretty darn concrete evidence of dinosaurs (take a look at MY dinosaur that I worked on! The dinky thing on the floor is a full-sized mammoth. There's a T-rex standing next to her that's as tall as the roof in your room... but that's only belly high to the giant I worked on.)

(Here's a non-YouTube video of the process, including comments by the paleontologists I work with: vimeo.com/53907709)

I've had my hands on a lot of material in the years I've worked there, from the famous "clumsy hadrosaur footprint cast" to T-Rex teeth and pachyrhinosaurus cheek parts. I've watched the Smithsonian fossil preparators working on micro fossils and seen the sauropods and the back lab at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History (among others.)

And I've worked on dinosaur digs and hauled crocs out of rock beds.

So... you haven't had this kind of experience, but -- trust me -- it's out there and it's actually available for the "average person with a little time and no training" to go and experience.

Yet people take mainstream ideas of dinosaurs so literally like we no all about it.

No kidding. I see lots of people talk about it as though they know lots. After working on dinosaurs for over 5 years, I know how much I do NOT know... and it's kind of sad and amusing to see people who have never even read anything more than the occasional website when they start spouting off what they know about dinosaurs.

The human being did not belong to Earth, the human IS the alien.

Actually, if that was true, we would be genetically different from every other creature on earth instead of being very similar to other living creatures on earth (and about 98.5% similar to great apes like the chimp.)

I have a belief that most dinosaurs were gentle and passive creatures; but the mainstream for SOME reason wants us to percieve beasts who ate eachother.. this is so bias and bad imaging/profiling of a RACE (dino-race)that we know little about.

It's more exciting to show big nasty dinosaurs than the rest of them, yes. The ratio of meat eaters to herbivores and omnivores seems to be similar to the proportions of meat eaters/herbivores/omnivores anywhere in the wild. The smallest dinosaurs (we have one in our museum) that we have skeletons of are about the size of a chicken... and there were undoubtedly much smaller ones. The average dinosaur was not much bigger than a large dog.

Makes you wonder if those dinos being whiped out was intentional, to make human seeding more secure on this planet?

Dinosaurs were in decline before the asteroid hit -- and it was a combination of asteroid and the Deccan Traps (supervolcano that erupted for millions of years) that did them in. (note... this is actually something that paleontologists and geologists have believed for decades, but there wasn't enough good evidence to actually say this with any degree of confidence... until recently: abclocal.go.com.../national_world&id=8913838)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShotGunRum
All Yesterdays: Unique and Speculative Views of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals

How did dinosaurs look? The only way any of us know is from looking at images created by paleoartists, people who specialize in imagining extinct creatures by studying their skeletons.

Uhm... no. And I can (as you've seen above) say this based on experience. The illustrations are interesting and as an artist, I love some of what they've done.

BUT... as someone who works on dinosaurs and works with paleontologists and who has met paleoartists, I really have to note that the artists here don't seem to have much awareness of comparative vertebrate anatomy. The "cow" is a classic example -- the bones alone tell you that it's not a sleek deer-like animal and that it actually weighs a ton or more. Even if we'd never seen a live cow, we'd know that it was a very heavy-bodied animal.

So this book is based off half science half imagination. But isn't that what all dinosaur re-creation art is?

No. And again, I'm saying this as someone who's talked with paleoartists and works with paleontologists.

I love some of the ideas, but I'd like them a whole lot better if they put top hats and gears in the drawing or other things to show how much of it was purely fantasy derived.

We actually know some of the skin colors (and it was a paleoartist who (studying the fossils directly) noted the color pattern on the mososaur. Traces of it still remained on the fossil (very faint traces, but traces.) Impressions of feathers are left both on the bones and on the rocks, and there are many fossils that show skin impressions (including the skin texture of feet.)

Great fantasy, but didn't do much of a service to the world of paleoart.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
cool art work and cool idea.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

nice dr wheelo avatar, (the main reason i commented in thread)

and for op speculation,guestimation, bs unless we find a dino completely preserved or travel through time, or make one from retrieved dna we will never know the facts

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I was hoping you'd reply in this thread. Very interesting input from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Do you think there could have been fuzzy dinosaurs though, like this bird?

edit on 12-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Where are the baby dinosaurs? In a spellbinding talk from TEDxVancouver paleontologist Jack Horner describes how slicing open fossil skulls revealed a shocking secret about some of our most beloved dinosaurs.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
So I guess most of you have never heard of "forensic's"

Did you know they can take a Human skull and reconstruct a human face, without ANY skin on it and be about 75% plus accuracy??

Did you know that they can take a person's picture at age 10 , and age it to 20 years or more?? again with 75% or more accuracy?

Did you know the if you dig a hole you are looking into the past, the deeper you dig, the further back in time it is??

This is FACT!

Did you know that the Sciences, is the only study that makes corrections??

Did you know that some folks believe in a book that is over 2000 years old, and is contradictory yet is taken as FACT???

Did you know there is a world repository of Knowledge at your finger tips, but most folks Don't use it??

Fact people arent 1billion years old and we have no living dino`s around to base a Forensic model on. And if your only getting it %75 right on something that is present what percent do you think we get right on our reptilian brothers. You can go by say something like an elephant,alligator or rhino but is it %75? I dont know but hmmm. And wow you had to throw in your atheists veiws on a dino discussion,lol

Bill

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

Yes, we have evidence of feather like structures on juvenile T-Rexes and a number of other dinosaurs. However, not all of them were feathered and the largest ones didn't need feathers (it would have caused body heat problems for them.)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Just a footnote for this.

ATS is the source of many interesting discoveries, and gets me into some interesting stuff. Irregular Books is having paleoart competition, and since I am (among other things) an artist who occasionally turns out paleoart, I'll be submitting to them. What's wanted is a "take it beyond the bounds and show behavior."

The one piece I started (Dire Wolf as a velociraptor (using the dire wolf skeleton and muscles and skin of a velociraptor)) isn't quite what they wanted, so I'll be doing a Sifrhippus family group (because they're cute, and because I can.) If they'll allow me to submit hominids for a second piece, I want to do a tribal dance with either Australopithecus or the Neanderthals.

The hominid paleoart I've seen seems to revolve around hunting, killing, firesides, and walking. They don't show flirting or dancing. I'm thinking it's time to show Neanderthals as party animals.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join