It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there an exact time the mayan calndar ends ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Just wondering if anyone has an App or something counting down to the exact timing of the end of the Mayan calendar? I want to hold an "End of Time" party and this would be very kewl.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Here's a countdown clock.

www.december212012.com...

It's supposed to end on 11:11 GMT. I don't know if that's AM or PM though.

Oh, and here's a countdown thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

They found a new calender that goes past 2012 with 7000 years...

www.theatlanticwire.com...

However, the archeologists say that these the newly discovered tables — which pre-date the oldest known codex by as much as 500 years — span over 7,000 years of time, stretching far beyond of present age. So, you can breathe a little easier, though the news will come as a big shock to the tourism industry in Belize and other "entreprenuers" who are willing to take all your money off your hands before the big one hits.

edit on 1-12-2012 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
For what it's worth, the Mayan calender should logically come to an end at the end of the Mayan day (or else it would be incomplete).
What time is sunset in Yucatan?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

As much as I believe the end of the world thing is a load of old twaddle..........it's 11:11am GMT

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I'm all for being patriotic (and I agree with you that it's a load of old twaddle), but why should the forces of the universe be governed by GMT?
For the sake of consistency, it would have to be Mayan time.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Chances are, if that time is correct, it will have been based from the Mayan time. GMT though, seems to be the dominant time for some reason. (hence why you always see GMT +/-).

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is a time system originally referring to mean solar time at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, London, which later became adopted as a global time standard.

Greenwich Mean Time

I guess Greenwich is just the centre of the universe.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
11:11 seems to be baseless New Age claim. I have the same question actually. It would be interesting to know is the exact time of the day in their calender, when it changes to 13.0000. I have studdied Mayan chalender a bit, but the smallest unit I know is one day. Logically the exact time is Yucatan time, noon or sunset. Probably sunset, because then the last day of 13th baktun ends. But I haven´t found any trustworthy source for this information.
edit on 1-12-2012 by Amandla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I am in no way an expert on the subject matter but from what I've read, the Mayan considered a "day" beginning at sunrise. Some of their pyramids have shadow/sunlight effects as the sun is rising at certain times of the year. So if I were to guess I would say at sunrise on 12/21/12 in the region they lived. So adjust your countdown to your timezone from there. Just a suggestion.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
No-one knows when the mayan calendar ends. Theres even controversy surrounding the 21st of December.. If your going to have a party, just have a party, get drunk and get laid just in case

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What if the Mayans implemented Daylight savings?

We're screwed if we can't even get the end of the world right... crikey..

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
What if the Mayans implemented Daylight savings?

We're screwed if we can't even get the end of the world right... crikey..

I bet they didn't take it into account. We better start recalculating and fast

new topics

top topics

join