It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O'Reilly's analysis of Gangnam Style

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I know, I know. Gangnam Style has hit that point in popularity where it has been overplayed and beat to death. Still a guilty pleasure of mine though. Anyway, I found this video of The Young Turks' Cenk Uygur discusses a portion of Mr. Bill O'Reilly's show where Keith Ablow, a psychiatrist, and him analyze PSY's Gangnam Style. I found it pretty darn funny to say the least and Cenk did help fuel the laughter.

For the record, I do not like The Young Turks or Mr. Bill O'Reilly AT ALL. Anything that's pro-democrat or pro-republican these days confuses and disgusts(just a little) me.

Should it really surprise anyone that Mr. Bill O'Reilly and this Keith Ablow, psychiatrist for FoxNews, and whom is no longer a part of the American Psychiatric Association and apparently are a number of ethical concerns with his practice. But, as stated, Keith Ablow is not bound by the APA ethics code. Here's a little something straight from the horses mouth about his "resigning in protest" from the APA and his views on them: Be wary of the American Psychiatric Association.

What's the point of me bringing this up? Well, for one it's just funny. And quite pathetic that some people cannot comprehend simple things. They have to over-analyze in extreme ways for....well hell, I don't even know why. Maybe it's just that they're so out of touch with everyday people. I mean, they seriously compared this video to being a drug. Wait, no, they actually called the video a drug.

One last thing. I don't want this to turn in to a partisan war, so keep your democrat/republican/liberal/conservative/left/right crap out of here. Lets just enjoy laughing at stupid people, with heavy degrees, that are somehow on national television.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I'm no O'Reilly fan, but I thought that was a pretty interesting analysis.

Still love the video though...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Here is the video without the turks commentary:

link   
Haven’t heard this “track” in its entirety. That’s not going to change. If this is the musical bench mark, then all hope is lost... This is like the ARIA’s in Australia not recognising Tame Impala’s new, absolute banger of an album.

link   
reply to post by Pseudonaut

Interesting how? I found it lacking any kind of, how can I say it, thought from outside their box. It seemed they looked down at it from their nests high above everyone else and decided to degrade it because they don't understand why it's become popular. And to have a man who is an educated psychiatrist basically call it a drug is just down right ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

I found this part the most ironic:

Is there anything wrong with it? Uh... I guess I'd say this. To the extent that you revel in things that don't speak to you, that you use something to transport you away from real thought and deep feeling... yeah there's something wrong with it.

I get more meaning and deep thought from Gangnam style than from Fox news.

edit on 30/11/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Thanks for that boncho. I think the video without the commentary just makes it sad and somewhat infuriating.

reply to post by BlindBastards

It's not so much that the song is a bench mark, but that it was a catchy song and people enjoyed it and the dance. And these guys are out there being OVERLY analytical of a youtube video that has almost 1 billion views.

reply to post by ChaoticOrder

No kidding. I feel dumber after watching any news on TV. I'd rather watch Gangnam Style all day than flip on the TV to watch the news.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

The reason people liked for one reason is because there is a pudgy Korean singer dancing around like a sex symbol. If anything, it's initial popularity was due to the fact that people saw something completely outside the norm. (Opposite in many aspects of western stereotypes in media) And it's viewed somewhat satirically as well.

Also, I should add, that if the internet was as prevalent when the macarena came out, it too probably would have received more attention than it did. But even then I remember seeing it in so many different countries because the dance was entertaining to replicate at bars, social events and family gatherings. Just as Gangnum Style does with its choreography.

I find The psychiatrist and O'Reilly's views on it dim witted, and borderline racist. Their ignorance to other cultures is also a contributing factor into the popularity of it. A younger version of themselves would probably be mystified that other cultures even sing in their native languages. (What, not everyone sings in English?)

Seriously, songs like "I whip my hair back and forth." make Gangnam Style seem like an Opera Ballad. But that's not the point, the overall appeal is not so shallow and you have to have serious problems to classify it as, a drug.

edit on 30-11-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

I found this part the most ironic:

Is there anything wrong with it? Uh... I guess I'd say this. To the extent that you revel in things that don't speak to you, that you use something to transport you away from real thought and deep feeling... yeah there's something wrong with it.

I get more meaning and deep thought from Gangnam style than from Fox news.

edit on 30/11/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

I was just going to say, I have a very limited vocabulary in Korean, half the words are all mixed dialects and make little sense to me, yet... I understand more coming out of Gangnam style than I ever have watching full episodes of O' Reilly.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

lol
Guy doesn't speak Korean so he thinks it has no meaning.
Or perhaps Mr.O'Reilly believes English is the only language on Earth and thinks anyone speaking anything else has no intellect,are not actually talking/talking gibberish,and have no meaning in their Life.

What an idiot.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ArtOfTrance

What did "Dr." Ablow say?

The meaning is it has no meaning.

What? What? If the meaning is that it has no meaning....then there is no meaning. So, therefore, the meaning cannot be that it has no meaning because, technically, there is no meaning. Oh man, I just gave myself a headache with that one.

Here's something that I didn't put out there because I didn't want to spark partisan wars, but people will actually listen to this guy, Keith Ablow, speak and think he's 100% correct. Much the same with Mr. Bill O'Reilly. I'll go on record and say there have been times I agreed with O'Reilly, maybe once or twice, but he's as much of a brainless bafoon as this so called doctor. I'll give O'Reilly credit for saying it is harmless and even disagreed with Ablow as he attempted to call it the same with getting high. Billy gets a point for that. Then I take that point away when I remember how he was being unnecessarily rude in his criticism of the video and PSY.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Seems that nobody ... not even the young turks ... googled for the LYRICS and what they REALLY MEAN!

I like the song .. it is very well packaged and finely engineered!

However OL doesnt speak any asian languages and so I was at a disadvantage when it comes to understanding the nuances ... until i went and looked up the lyrics directly.

The song is endorsed by the Communist Paarty of China and they are very prudish even at the best of times.

So if the song was in any way crass or demeaning ... they wouldnt have a bar of soap to do with it.

The song is extremely clean regardless of the video clips visual implications.

The bit that struck me as being the hook for those in the west is the chorus .. in english ...

"Eh! Sexy Lady!"

And here is what is really ment by that ...

A girl who looks quiet but plays when she plays
A girl who puts her hair down when the right time comes
A girl who covers herself but is more sexy than a girl who bares it all
A sensable girl like that

I’m a guy
A guy who seems calm but plays when he plays
A guy who goes completely crazy when the right time comes
A guy who has bulging ideas rather than muscles
That kind of guy

Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Now let’s go until the end

Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style

Eh- Sexy Lady, Oppa is Gangnam style
Eh- Sexy Lady oh oh oh oh

The Young Turks did have a great analysis of the videos characterization of the NK Gangnam district [which i was unaware of until this thread] but, IMO, they failed to see that the song is hidden behind all that eye candy and is an even deeper satyrization of the entire wests MSM smutty ghoulish overblown and overhyped wares and fares, and not just a parody of stuff going on in the east.

Personal Disclosure: I haven't linked any of the websites containing the lyrics as they all tend to have a barrage of ads and I feel they are not hard to track down if one requires that. However kudo's to kpopslyrics.net for helping me source the lyrics for this thread.

edit on 30-11-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix broken bbcodes.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

That's an interesting analysis, however, I think you're wrong.

I knew what this song was about just from the title. It's about the Gangnam district in southeast Seoul. The song and the video represent the very classy and upscale style of those in the Gangnam district. Only reason I can come to that conclusion is because I've been to Gangnam-gu.

Unless you know something I don't know.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
In general, it's about having fun and being comfortable with who you are. Something O'Rielly would know nothing about.

And this is a total different music industry than Elvis'. You shouldn't compare stats and sales of today to the "oldies". But poeple will anyway. Besides, in a few months the most viewed YouTube video ever will be a cute kitten or a drunk celebrity.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Just want to share a blogpost I wrote about Gangnam Style, and it's connection to the Illuminati:
themacchoi.blogspot.com...

A lot of what I wrote seems far-fetched, but if you look into it, it's not so hard to believe.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I must be doing something right.
I have only seen this Gangham Style guy on South Park and had no idea who he is. I have not heard the song or seen the dance.

If anyone would like any pointers as how to best avoid the popular garbage, just U2U me and I'll send ya some great tips.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Just keep on avoiding change. Stay stuck in your old ways. Even if something is fun and good for your soul... pay no attention if it is popular. At no point should you expand your horizon. Put your Elvis records on, drink some warm milk and go back to sleep.

edit on 4-12-2012 by Chi-and-Me because: (worm milk) although I considered leaving it in.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Have Fox News reported on the PSY protests in Korea? I want to read what Fox News say about the PSY protesting.

busanhaps.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PSYboy

Actually when wouldn't he have Anti-American Military protest in the past? Do Americans not make fun of them and criticize them?

"I want sex" song track.... why is that sooo weird, he was a 24 yr old guy lol.. compare to our NA songs nowadays?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Definiely see some psyco bs with this gangam guy

new topics

top topics

join