It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finlands education system ranked number one. #2 South Korea #3 Hong Kong.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund
Yet one of the most significant things Sahlberg said passed practically unnoticed. "Oh," he mentioned at one point, "and there are no private schools in Finland.

^^^^^^^^^

But isn't the right wing talking point that the market and privatization makes everything better?

edit on 28-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

If making money is involved in anything, it will corrupt the process. It is inevitable, it is the nature of the society we live in. When the first private universities started business in Finland, they were and are still are something akin to a joke.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

are you kidding, half this countries kids cant even graduate lol. which is exactly what this country wants.

sign name, punch in punch out go home watch tv, do what told, buy what told, rinse wash repeat. either that or we a ramping up for huge wars for the next 50 years so they want a really dumb population. they dont ask questions, and will kill anything that moves.^^

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

It takes about 3 years to get Bachelor of Education and then 2 to 3 years to master's degree, so basicly it takes 5-6 years to qualification.

Many universities offer 1 year to 2 year masters in teaching/education, in fact I almost did a 1 year masters in teaching program myself. I was working at an office supply store and worked with many stupid teachers that could not figure out pricing, and were quite rude or just overall crazy. Some of our staff were in school to be teachers as well and they were quite dumb
This made me want to change my career options

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
UK sixth? higher than I thought, thing's have changed since I was in school. But then again I went to a messed up up public school, and often had substitute teachers because teachers kept leaving. So my experience might be an exception.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'm a Brit but the (admittedly little) that I know about the Finnish education system is that teaching is a highly respected profession and thus attracts the most able graduates. It used to be like that here until teaching became just a job, attracting only people who were unable to do anything else - that and the politically correct attitudes fostered by the last Labour administration that destroyed the last elements of respect that pupils had for their teachers. I'm surprised the UK is as high as 6th, to be honest.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeneathBaseStupidity
Finland values and rewards its teachers--that's its secret.

Koreans are obsessive compulsive--that's theirs.

Can't vouch for Hong Kong... possibly the communist robot automaton influence from China.

Actually, Finland values equality and its people.

en.wikipedia.org...

Education in Finland is an egalitarian system, with no tuition fees and with free meals served to full-time students. The present Finnish education system consists of well-funded and carefully thought out daycare programs (for babies and toddlers) and a one-year "pre-school" (or kindergarten for six-year olds); a nine-year compulsory basic comprehensive school (starting at age seven and ending at the age of fifteen); post-compulsory secondary general academic and vocational education; higher education (University and Polytechnical); and adult (lifelong, continuing) education. The Nordic strategy for achieving equality and excellence in education has been based on constructing a publicly funded comprehensive school system without selecting, tracking, or streaming students during their common basic education.[1] Part of the strategy has been to spread the school network so that pupils have a school near their homes whenever possible or, if this is not feasible, e.g. in rural areas, to provide free transportation to more widely dispersed schools. Inclusive special education within the classroom and instructional efforts to minimize low achievement are also typical of Nordic educational systems.[1]

For years I used to dream about which Nordic Country I wanted to move to, Finland or Norway basically? And they're both beautiful.

And civilized.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If the child is normal and healthy, it is always the parents fault for them not doing well.

Some cultures put emphasis on education more than others, my childhood it was "get to university or you are dead to me" lol

My mom likes to compare me and my cousins along with their mothers... Like we are prized trophies.

She was a good mother, but had 0 tolerance when it came to education.

Oh yeah and i have B.Sc Degree

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Yes. I too had that desire and fulfilled it by moving to Sweden, which pretty much looks like Finland and Norway. I ve been here for over ten years now and do not look back to that violent, dog eat dog society I left back in ol US.

Scandinavia is a paradise for a family with a good education and high hopes for their children. I mean what do we have in US. The mad jungle of LA, the decay of Detroit, the corruption on all levels of society, the super eilte on the top stealing every dollar from the sheeple? You tell me.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
USA ranked 17?

USA! USA! USA!

GREAT COUNTRY IN THE WORLD! WOOOOOOOOOOO

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Doesn't Finland have a very high suicide rate?
BTW OP, who do you like more: Andy or Spike? Or Vicious?
edit on 29-11-2012 by kingomar69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
reply to post by deessell

Nope, kids gets a lot written math questions, like " farmer had three chicken and in the morning farmer gathered nine eggs, how many eggs each chicked layed" question was about multiplication.
Multiplication, they start with 1,2,5 and 10 then they start filling 3,4,6,7 and 8, not much memorizing most of the questions are written.
Many times their homework can be drawing a picture or writing what items you can find in kictchen cabinet, what can you do with these items etc

Teaching has gone a little bit to steiner school (walford school ) type of eduacation where learning is more dynamic and child friendly.
Learning to read goes with sliding alphabets in the words rather than learning exactly how each alphabet sound alone. This speeds up reading and every kid had learnt how to read at the first grade if they had not learnt yet before school.

edit on 28-11-2012 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

Yes, but that is not the type of teaching that is taking place in South Korea. That is the point I am trying to make.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter

Yes. I too had that desire and fulfilled it by moving to Sweden, which pretty much looks like Finland and Norway. I ve been here for over ten years now and do not look back to that violent, dog eat dog society I left back in ol US.

Scandinavia is a paradise for a family with a good education and high hopes for their children. I mean what do we have in US. The mad jungle of LA, the decay of Detroit, the corruption on all levels of society, the super eilte on the top stealing every dollar from the sheeple? You tell me.

I agree with that but if we all think like that the there would be no Americans in the countries. Also when it comes to education why do not there should be little awareness about the educational reforms. U must say that if the education system may reformed by new minds and thoughts there are more chances for our young generation can do more better.
edit on 6-3-2013 by droiddna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by droiddna

Originally posted by johncarter

I agree with that but if we all think like that the there would be no Americans in the countries. Also when it comes to education why do not there should be little awareness about the educational reforms. You must say that if the education system may reformed by new minds and thoughts there are more chances for our young generation can do more better

To develop the nation it is more important what you are teaching to your young generation.

cert iv tae40110
edit on 11-3-2013 by droiddna because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join