It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just in: China cracks down on Tibetan student protest, Many severely injured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Just in: China cracks down on Tibetan student protest, Many severely injured

www.phayul.com

DHARAMSHALA, November 26: In reports coming in, over a thousand Tibetan students in Chabcha region of Tsolho eastern Tibet have been carrying out major protests against the Chinese government since early this morning.

“Chinese force started to severely beat the students without provocation, injuring many,” Tenpa said. “According to sources in the region, four students have been severely injured and many more have been hospitalised."
(visit the link for the full news article)

There are also reports that Chinese security forces fired live rounds during the protest, although it is not clear whether the shots were fired at the students or in the air to disperse the protesters.

edit on 26-11-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: add

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
It's not often we hear of mass protests in China/Tibet. And when they do happen, then it's hard to get news out of the country. To be honest, I am surprised China has been mostly untouched by protests, at least from what we are told.

I have to go to work in a few minutes, so if anyone can find updates, please post them

www.phayul.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Chinese people are probably afraid to protest because they know this is how it is dealt with. Either that or like you said, they don't let the news of protest out of the country.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Strictsum

It could also be that the Chinese don't feel the need to protest very much at all and that these protesters in Tibet are being led down the garden path of despair by hostile Governments who would just love to have Tibet for themselves so they could instal missiles aimed at China.

To be honest, I do not have a clue, but with the amount of crap that is known to be stirred up by outside influences in many, many countries I will reserve my judgement.

Protesters around the world are usually handled the same way by security forces.

P

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Strictsum

Chinese people are probably afraid to protest because they know this is how it is dealt with. Either that or like you said, they don't let the news of protest out of the country.

Not true! There was a huge protest in china over something being built. Cant remember what it was, but the protest went so well, that the chinese government had to change their mind on building it. I saw protests when i was living in beijing. Pretty much the same as protests all over the world.

As for tibet protests. Last time this happened, they rioted, and even beat and killed chinese people living in tibet. But you wont see that in the western papers
So, if they are violent, what do you expect the chinese police to do, just let them get on with it?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
When people are setting themselves on fire in protests, you know something isn't right in that part of the world and China are at the centre of it.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by Strictsum

Protesters around the world are usually handled the same way by security forces.

Exactly. Protesting doesn't work under authoritarian systems, for which China is the world model. In other words, get used to violent state crackdowns on expression--they're coming to the West in a big way. All the signs, slogans, and marches aren't going to do anything except get people killed. Direct action is needed to affect real social change. This can, unfortunately, also lead to violence, but hopefully with something to actually show for it in the end. Protests garner a few quickly-forgotten news stories, a few jokes on SNL, and that's about it. People just don't have the attention span to really care until things slap them in the face, by which point it's usually too late anyway.
edit on 11/26/12 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
was about to say that nothing was learned from the tiananmen square massacre ... but now i think about it .. i guess the authorities learned it was a very effective way to deal with that scenario .. so long as they dont care what the rest of the world thinks ...
even in the threat of death .. i think we should never .. ever .. back down from these regimes we oppose so much ... easy words to say ... i mean that to people who dont have dependants .. of course i dont want anyone risking their lives and leaving their families without ... but the people who can fight .. should ..
edit on 26-11-2012 by Segenam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Anyone who protests risks getting a beat down

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Actually, China is Marred by civil un rest. The thing is the most western Media get their information from the mouthpiece of the CCP, Xinhua, so they just repeat what the regime tells them

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Given their government structure, protesting is a no no.

Wonder if this has anything to do with China's new leader and showing he can lead with force and authority?

After days of talks behind closed doors at the 18th Communist Party Congress, China reveals its worst kept secret: Xi Jinping has assumed control of the Communist Party.

-SAP-

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Somehow, I'm not surprised.

top topics

join