It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The british spirt at its best?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
today i was thinking about what iconstands out most about the great uk and what makes me proud to be british and what shows are true courage of a nation in are history.

To me it has to be the battle of britain, no matter what we did not give in and came together as a nation to stand strong, every one chiped in and did there part, men as young as 18 giving there lives becasue they new it was the right thing to do even though most missions were suicide runs over the skys of occupied europe, now days you wouldn't find a single chav to give his life for the queen, so the icon i have to say that has the british spirt has to be the avro lancaster

and just to think only 2 are left flying today really does upset me ones in canada and ones in the battleof britain flight team i think as a nation we need to save are heritage so the future genorations can still see one in flight insted of just seeing a picture to hear the power of the four Merlin engines to feel the pride of a once great nation felt to think what them brave men went through over the skys of berlin

please add to this what you think made a nation great peace
edit on 23-11-2012 by birdyat101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
My wife's grandfather was a tail gunner in the Lancaster during WWII.

He made it home to Canada.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
And I think you might want to edit your thread title.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
My wife's grandfather was a tail gunner in the Lancaster during WWII.

He made it home to Canada.

where i live the air strip next to us had a squadron of canadians that went in halifax's most of them decided to stay and the place where i live has streets named after one crew that got shot down the plane crashed in the middle and no one can build on it because theres still half a plane under the ground

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I still have a model I built of the Lancaster when I was a kid in the 60s. It's one of my favorite planes too.
I also love the Spitfires.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

Awesome!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Personaly, as a Brit myself, i find the best of us is in our culture. Not the politics, because all us Brits know that the MP's are crooks and have next to no trust in them, not the 'law', because we are aware that the majority of the laws that are now inplace are there to protect the people at the top, not the system because we all know that the system we are in now (whether it economical, employment, business, etc) are all there to screw over the public.

The best thing about being British is the critical thinking that goes on in this country, that also goes unnoticed, because it tends to be the subtext of our culture.

We are very smart pepople, very cunning, and because of this, we are aware of our surroundings. Our education is well known for it's quality. This sense can not be marked or graded, but we all take a second to think before we make a decision on any of these subjects, and evaluate from many angles, in other words, we are good when it comes to debating (not saying that other individuals are not, or any countries for that matter, but for the power that such a small country has, I am glad that we do). Yes, there are people who are idle and ignorent of these subjects/whats going on, but go down your local boozer and everyone agrees that they are not worth the time, and do nothing than get on peoples nerves.

The one major weakness of British culture, however (which is a major flaw, considering what I have just written) is our apethy. We seem to have given up in fighting back, because we have heard the same old over and over, and faught against over and over, and the MP's/industrialists/elites/whatever you want to call them keep getting away with it, and we have ran out of ideas. This saddens me, because we are a great nation with great thinkers, inventors, writers, artists and so on, who had always seemed to find new ways to project our voices, however, at the moment, it seems that the pain has dried on the brush.

Also, the NHS was brilliant, before it got built to fall back in the Thatcher eara. The NHS shown our compasion towards one another, a true sign that everyone is equil and deserves at least the basic medical treatment, and the standard quality of life that is good health.

Almost forgot, at the last note, but no way the least, is the great British pub. Somewhere you can go after a hard shifts work, read the paper, and chill out with a chat to near enough anyone. Have a few pints, talk about the current events such as football, how to improve politics, new ideas and almost anything under the sun, in a relaxed enviroment, the only real place where community is still felt. Sadly, these places are dropping like flies, and it's hard to find a pub to feel confertable in without feeling threatened or having loud, annoying Simon Cowel music thrown down the ear hole.

P.p.s.....I, as a Brit, appologise to the world for Simon Cowel.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

top topics

join