It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Departing Mexican President Calderón proposes country's name be changed - to "Mexico"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
www.venicegondoliersun.com...

Mexican President Felipe Calderon, whose six-year term comes to an end next week, said he’s sending Congress a constitutional amendment to change the nation’s name to one that reminds people less of the United States.

“The current name of our country is the result of a historical moment,” Calderon said in a speech at the presidential residence of Los Pinos. “It was a product of circumstance that no longer exists. Mexico doesn’t need a name that emulates another country and that none of us use on a daily basis.”

The country's formal name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos but few people know it by that name, nor are even aware of it, it would seem. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to change its name to its more simple and common form, Mexico, as most of the world already knows it by. This would be very much like changing the name of the United States of America to just America, but referring to the US in that manner often raises objections, though it perhaps should not.

By referring to the US as America many would jump up to exclaim, "Canada is also in America! Brazil and Argentina likewise are in America!" We frequently think of America as a set of continents in the western hemisphere. Almost correct, the continents are known as North and South America. If we are advised to call America the "United States" to be more accurate then that can also be confused with the United States of Mexico, so the best way to be correct would be to call the US by its full name The United States of America. But why not just "America"? It is the only country that uses "America" in its official name, thus by rights we should be able to call it just that, not unlike Mexico being called "Mexico." Canada did not name itself the United Provinces of America or any such thing, nor had any other country on these continents elected to use "America" in their names either. So let's call a spade a spade.

¡Viva Mexico!

edit on 22-11-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I agree. Mexico should be just "Mexico".

It was an act of emulation, and I think emulation lacks the sincerity to have legitimacy.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
"Mexico", or whatever name he wishes to call that DUMP, should be SAWED from Americas borders by a huge GODLY-SIZED HACKSAW and pushed down and away from America as far as possible.

A DUMP is a DUMP no matter WHAT name it is called.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
kinda silly, really..
what's next?
obama, i'm tired of everyone calling this country america,
our actual name is, the united states of america.
america, usa, amerika, meximerica and all other names will be a punishable offense.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

I see your point. I would not object to our borders being a tad bit tighter. You should meet some of the immigrant retirees that come here. My paisanos can be a bit of an embarrassment at times. Sometimes I am ashamed to admit where I am from,

reply to post by rubbertramp

What kind of decisions can a departing president really make anyway? Trivial suggestions or some prison pardons??

What, does Obama want Americans to use their official corporate name only now?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
S&F

Why Not?

I see no harm in doing this. Roll back to the 1800's though. Call it..... the "Mexican Empire", or even further... "Mexico-Tenochtitlan", land of the Aztec's.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm just going to call it what I've always called it - "That place where I always get s*** faced drunk on tequila, you know the place..."

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
kinda silly, really..
what's next?
obama, i'm tired of everyone calling this country america,
our actual name is, the united states of america.
america, usa, amerika, meximerica and all other names will be a punishable offense.

....Way to come from left field there.

This thread is about Mexico finally updating it's nation's name.

It's like having your birth certificate say "Baby Boy" - regardless of the name your parents gave you after the fact, your driver's license will still say: Baby Boy.
So you decide to change your name to the true, preferred name given by parents.
....And then the clerk says "That's silly, Obama blah blah blah"

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

This is the least of Mexico's problems.
Maybe they should stop the corruption and drug wars first.
The so called Mexican Americans could all go home and help with the cause. I know so many Mexicans who only call America home because of the paycheck. The trick is to stop the paycheck and watch the rats jump off the ship.

Many come here to work and hide behind the politically correct flag until they have enough money and then they jump ship. They are only using this country and when they don't need it watch just how American they are.

edit on 22-11-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Got to watch making your Kool-Aid with fluoridated water. Americans may be correct about thinking Mexico has corruption, but like the US doesn't, in spades?

Do you honestly think the US wants to stop drug wars or the CIA to stop the drug traffic? Control it, yes.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin
"Mexico", or whatever name he wishes to call that DUMP, should be SAWED from Americas borders by a huge GODLY-SIZED HACKSAW and pushed down and away from America as far as possible.

I know many Mexicans, both on this side of the river and over on the other side. What you may call a dump is full of a rich history of a deep and respectable culture. Much of that culture is long, long gone (washed away by European imperialism). But what remains is one of the treasures of our continent.

Quit reading headlines. They don't speak to the people. And, like all people, there are some good and some bad. But coming from the border, I have a deep appreciation for Mexico.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I agree. Mexico should be just "Mexico".

I agree with you....just the same as I believe that our country should simply be called "America" rather than "United States of America".

Nevermind "state's rights"....the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts....let's start a movement to truly unite all the land under one law...a single rule...next up, NWO baby....NOW!!!!
edit on 22-11-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
Got to watch making Kool-Aid with fluoridated water. Americans may be correct about thinking Mexico has corruption, but it pales by what goes on up north.

Do you honestly think the US wants to stop drug wars or the CIA to stop the drug traffic? Control it, yes.

Bingo.

Like most struggling nations, Mexico's biggest woes are related to US government inspired corruption.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by oper8zhin

I know many Mexicans, both on this side of the river and over on the other side. What you may call a dump is full of a rich history of a deep and respectable culture. Much of that culture is long, long gone (washed away by European imperialism). But what remains is one of the treasures of our continent.

Quit reading headlines. They don't speak to the people. And, like all people, there are some good and some bad. But coming from the border, I have a deep appreciation for Mexico.

Looking back now particularly to my life up north I think I felt like the novice sky-diver making a full descent with the parachute open. I realize there are some who will just never "get it", but there are others like myself that eventually catch-on. It is a magical and contrasted land with a great beauty and an exhilaration of living in free-fall. There is a gentle harshness along with a deeper sense of freedom I find very pleasing. I love this dump, if that is how one chooses to describe it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
its gonne viral in facebook that Calderon is an alcoholic...that gives speeches with terribles hangovers....

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
I'm just going to call it what I've always called it - "That place where I always get s*** faced drunk on tequila, you know the place..."

Well...let me help you get rid off those 666 stars you have... for starters..

You keep getting s***faced drunk on tequilla... I will keep an eye on you not doing anything stupid.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I agree with the entire OP.
edit on 23-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
When Mexico begins taking measures to socially isolate themselves from being associated with you as a country.... Well it might the cue for a little look-see in the Mirror.

I mean this is like the US and Mexico are at a party and when the Swedish bikini team walks up to Mexico and says "Hey, didn't I see you with the US earlier?" Mexico is basically saying "Um, no man. That wasn't me. That must have been some other Latino country...."

I don't like the idea that the world could see us as Mexico's fat, unattractive wing-man.....

~Heff ( Because bar analogies are not only always appropriate - they're basically all I've got )

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The USA should change its name to Usonia.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing this.

I had absolutely no idea, i always thought Mexico was..........Mexico!
Quite ashamed to be honest as i always prided myself on my world knowledge.

Have to agree though, i like this.......Viva Mexico!

new topics

top topics

join