It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture of Girl Flipping Off Unknown Soldier Tomb Goes Viral

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Freedom of speech ... even if it's pure ignorance.

That being said ... I hope someday she goes for a government job requiring a security clearance and is turned down for it. She doesnt' deserve it. I'd also like to see her family suggest to her that she volunteer in a military hospital and work with some of the soldiers who have fought and been wounded for freedoms in this country.

She's a spoiled fat witch and needs a good wake up call.

So if you support people going off to kill innocent people all over the world, you are a good patriotic american and deserve a right to a job. If not, you can die hungry, basicaly?

Ask yourselves, what harm did she do to others, and how much harm did those unknown soldiers do to others.
Also, american soldiers might have died for the "freedoms of their country" in WW2, but not one of them since.

You seem more spoiled to me than that girl, no offense.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by badnickname

Whats more funny is that all the people jumping up and down, this has nothing to do with a dead soldiers. THERE IS NO DEAD SOLDIER.

That was just put in to bring out fire for the viral video.

This is a girl, doing the opposite of the sign. Simple.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
too many apologists in this thread...

she deserves anything that comes of this.

what's next on her sightseeing tour...Ground Zero might be fun or maybe she'll go disrespect those entombed in the USS Arizona. All while claiming she''s just being a douchbag.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If all you dumb bunnys want to complain about something, how about our government murdering people everyday around the world. After that you can complain about this dumb girl.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Many of you should be just as ashamed as this women in the pic!

Sure, she may have made a stupid gesture at the wrong time and place, but the real stupidity comes in the aftermath.

She may lose her job? That's complete crap and we should be standing up for her rights to free-expression. Many of you made this into a political (dirty liberal) thing and even had to say that she was fat, etc.

Do we have to reach into the lowest depths to make ourselves feel better? Ever think that you may offend a fellow member that may be fat? How is that any different than a finger in the air?

I have more respect for someone that is willing to flip-off the tomb than I do the arrogant, hypocritical #heads that act as if they are morally superior in passing judgement upon her.

Deny ignorance? No, it looks like ignorance is alive and well. Sad, really fricken sad.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

I think too many retarded in this thread.

There is no "unknown" dead soldiers tomb in the picture...

She is doing the opposite of the sign.... Silence/Respect = Shout/Finger

______

It would be nice if someone go to the cemetery and take picture of the sign and see where it is located, whether its near a tomb or not.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
While the America I hear about everyday and am shocked by, the theft of American trades, government operations that kill innocents then try to call it "undercover" work.

The Tomb is a place where a man/woman lies that is waiting their turn to go home and be put to rest. The symbolism is the reason. We will leave no one behind. It's a duty that marines compete for and is considered an honor to protect this Tomb.

This defiant person opted to desecrate that site with selfish disregard. I believe one year community service in park maintence would be a great lesson.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i dont agree with her actions but caring this much about what a random person does/ posts on the internet is almost just as sad imo.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Out of all the injustices that happen to living people everyday in this country, they put this on the news and everybody's outraged? A damn picture? Really? Kill yourselves...

That there's a young girl who made a mistake practicing her right as an American. Nobody got hurt in the process. What kind of people are you wishing misfortune on her? Let her learn from her mistake and continue to strive to be the best person she can be and live a good long happy life. HOW DARE I SAY THAT?!?!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Why is that she has the right of free expression, but her employer does not have the same right to express how he feels?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm for freedom of speech and all, but I respect any memorial and/or site where soldiers are buried or remembered for fighting and many falling for whatever agenda that government had at the time. It's like the poppy, I don't wear that for the allies in WW1 and WW2 or any conflict in particular, it is for every soldier that gave his life fighting for what he/she felt was worth fighting and possibly dying for, that deserves real respect, regardless on what people feel about war and conflict.

What this woman is doing is nothing short of iditotic and to disrespect the fallen in such a way just shows a lot about her as an individual. Should she be punished? Not in the eyes of the law, but having her stupid mug plastered all over the internet will be punishment enough, if not for her half wit self, unfortunately it will be, I imagine, for her family.

Freedom of speech is a great thing, but being disrespectful to fallen soldiers or even the dead in general, is not clever, not funny and not proving a point regarding freedom of speech. It's simply magnifying very negative charachteristics of an attention starved individual.

In simple terms, epic fail!
edit on 21-11-2012 by SecretFace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
i'm not sure how to view this. my gut instinct is that she didnt do anything wrong and that soldiers should be proud that they fight for her right to express herself and that she is able to do that without the fear of jail and or a beating like would happen in other countries.

this case is a little different than the girl who called obama the n-word and openly thought of the president possibly being assassinated. i was totally against that case because she used hate and a racist comment to voice her opinion on the president. in my opinion her employer does have the right to fire in both cases, but where does it end with companies firing people over this sort of thing? in this day of viral videos and social networking we could just all be fired if the right picture is dug up and used against us lol!!!

a law should be drafted with specific details as to for what reasons a company can fire an employee over the freedom of speech and or what activities and or opinions a person participates in after and away from work.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979

Why is that she has the right of free expression, but her employer does not have the same right to express how he feels?

The employer does have that right. But firing someone because of their own actions or expressions OUTSIDE OF WORK is just as wrong.

Should I have to worry about being canned if I hold different beliefs than my boss? Should we conduct ourselves in our personal life in a way that is acceptable to our employers?

In my opinion, that is tyrannical.
edit on 21-11-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by howmuch4another

I think too many retarded in this thread.

There is no "unknown" dead soldiers tomb in the picture...

She is doing the opposite of the sign.... Silence/Respect = Shout/Finger

______

It would be nice if someone go to the cemetery and take picture of the sign and see where it is located, whether its near a tomb or not.

Come on... .you're expecting a bunch of "conservatives," to give actual thought to an issue instead of the knee-jerk reaction they've been brainwashed trained to give.

I will admit that even though I'm not a conservative sheep, and I am about as anti-war as it gets, I did initially have a negative reaction to her. I agree that a certain amount of respect should be afforded to this monument-- absolutely. But I also agree with your interpretation, a conclusion I arrived at after just a moment of thought. It's not like she's intending to say "F U soldiers!" as some would assume. As you said, it's like standing in front of a sign that says "no pets on the beach" with 10 dogs on a leash, a thumbs up and a smile. It's a joke that relies on irony and difference between the sign and the action for the "humor." I also agree it's not that cute or funny, regardless. But I am pretty confident her intent was not to disrespect the unknown soldier or the military in any way. And in that sense, she definitely did something stupid and should have thought better of it, and how that might come of to people. But I don't think she should get crucified over a bad joke made in what she thought was a "private" forum.

Or you can just ignore all that, because it makes you feel all superior and patriotic to call someone else names. As another member wisely pointed out, this is neither all that christian, or American. Remember why the unknown soldier and all the other fallen have died for. Not just a flag. And definitely not a monument. The constitution. Freedom. If you spit on those things, all that fighting and death is meaningless.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Sure, she has a right to act like a jerk. Other people and her employer have a right to speak out about it and / or not want her to represent them.

Go figure.

Correct, I'm not defending the actions of the girl. And of course the employer has the right to can an employee over the image she is bringing to the company. Not sure where my post was going now that I reread it..

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

The employer does have that right. But firing someone because of their own actions or expressions OUTSIDE OF WORK is just as wrong.

Should I have to worry about being canned if I hold different beliefs than my boss? Should we conduct ourselves in our personal life in a way that is acceptable to our employers?

Not sure if you would hold that position if the teacher at your kids school was opening part of the man.boy love foundation, or whatever the hell it's called...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ha, this is what happens when you use social media.

This is what happens when you act a fool in public. People get upset.

I don't really agree with her loosing her job and her dad having to go out on TV to explain anything though, that's just over sensationalist media if you ask me.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

No worries

But you do have a point. Lots of folks would love to be able to fire the nuts at WBC, but since they all work for the head nut of WBC it won't happen.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I love when stupid people get bit in the arse by their stupid action. She wouldn't have gotten into any trouble had she simply mimed yelling in front of the sign. It was the act of flipping of the tomb of the unknown soldier that causes outrage - and rightfully so!

If theirs anyplace where one should show respect, it's when standing in front of a monument to those who have fallen in battle. Keep in mind that the remains of an actual person are interred there. A brave young man who died in service, whose remains were never identified.

There are such tombs all over the world, and they're meant to be places for quiet, respectful reflection. You'd think that somebody 30 years old would know better.
edit on 013030p://01111 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Except for the part where it wasn't outside of work. She works at an assisted living home. The foundation she works for sent her and the home's patients to Arlington on a daytrip. She was on the job at the time. Read the story next time.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join