It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture of Girl Flipping Off Unknown Soldier Tomb Goes Viral

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by beezzer

She is owning it.

Like I said before. EVERYONE has the right to say what they want to. Just dont be offended when EVERYONE says your wrong.....

This is exactly right. The unknown soldiers have fought so people have the right to say and do stupid things.
It was a joke in poor taste nothing more.

We should probably be more worried about how people who are still alive are treated.

I think the unknown soldiers would probably be more upset at TPTB's sending them to their death then what some stupid little girl does for a laugh.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I want to play devil's avocado here because she should have a chance to let her story be heard.

She said it was a joke in regards to the sign that said "silence and respect," not the actual monument. Kind of like looking at a sign that says "NO SMILING," then taking a picture of yourself smiling next to the sign.

I honestly think she meant no disrespect here, but made a dumb decision and now she's being hammered for it.

In the case that I'm wrong and she was legit pointing that bird at the tomb, then she gets what's coming to her. I can't say what she deserves as I don't think either way she deserves anything for this, but I won't protest her getting what she gets.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
What a complete waste of time and energy to care about this whatsoever. It's just another one of a billion pictures taken everyday by everyone everywhere.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
there is this fad or whatever you call it of people taking pictures doing things that are forbidden, often in an ironic/fun way, a guy pretending to run right next to a "don't run" sign, that kind of thing. The girl is pretty much doing the same thing, pretending to yell next to a sign that says "silence", she is not flipping the bird to the dead, but to the sign.
It really scares me that younger generations don't know where the line is. We are becoming too insensible.
For all our disgust i am sure there are loads of people out there that found it funny or edgy or whatever.
THAT is the moment we should fear, when sacrifice becomes trivial.
whatever you think of war and politics, whatever you think about soldiers, whatever side you are on, many of these people died because they didn't have any other choice, and many of them have died so we wouldn't have to.
Frankly, she deserves all the s*!t coming her way.
That, and to be sent to an actual war so she gets the idea of what it feels like. Maybe she would learn there are places you just don't go.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
well ,as a vet yes it boils my blood ,but she didnt deserve to lose her job , but as they say YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW!!!
KARMA can take decades or instantly hit you , well we know which kind she got

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Oh please....
Bunch of whinnies...
You can't disrespect "the fallen" because they are DEAD, they don't exist anymore.
She disrespected YOU and YOUR sense of correctness.

Me, I wouldn't do that "joke" because meh, but what the hell is wrong with you people?, seriously THIS is what causes outrage?
THIS!? Some random chick doing something silly!?
Sure is a first-world problem.......

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by davcwebb

Freedom, Free Speech, Land of the Free!

You Americans make me laugh!

You preach tolerance and Freedom, yet when some one does some thing YOU consider bad taste or wrong, you wanna go hang em high!

Personally i think what she did was rather stupid, but that was her choice, and i will not judge her personally.

And as to the farce of the tomb of the unknown soldier? All wars are stupid and set up by the elite to control and then send suckers off to fight their battles while they stay nice and safe (try Switzerland, the most disgusting country in the world).

SO WAKE UP ALL OF YOU! WAR IS STUPID PEOPLE WHO GO OFF AND FIGHT THEM ARE MANIPULATED.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Wow, ATS, what ever happened to deny ignorance? She isn't standing over the body of a soldier flipping them off, she isn't kicking down a tombstone, she isn't "tagging" a tomb, nor is she burning a flag over the body of a soldier. She's standing next to a sign, looking towards the ground, OUTSIDE OF THE GRAVEYARD mocking the sign.

The only disrespect going on here is against the sign itself, nothing else.

To those of you in an outrage over this and calling her vitrol filled names, ya'll need to take a step back and look at yourselves first. Was it really necessary to call her a fat B***** because she's flipping off the ground near a graveyard?

These posts here are the main reason why I left ATS many years ago in the first place. SMH.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Ana Mladic was Ljiljana Pavicevic. She was my girlfriend in 1991, in Svetozarevo, now Jagodina.
And, that wife of Ratko Mladic, to the left, later, she was mother of some Goran Ostojic, who, as they said, died during the 1999 war, but, I had never heard of him and the other guys earlier.
edit on 23-11-2012 by dragnik because: additional text

edit on 23-11-2012 by dragnik because: grammar misstake

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnik

I said, no contacts after July 1991.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
new entry into a dictionary: under antisocial this picture

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by davcwebb

She forgot to read the sign.

Silence and Respect.

That is the "irony" she was trying to create (loud and disrespectful in lieu of the sign)......silly really and she is at least getting the attention that she obviously desired; wanted and unwanted.
edit on 23-11-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Blind Patriotism? - Give it a Rest People.

For all we know this "Unkown Soldier" might have been a Total Wank.

And he did not die "Fighting for Your Freedoms" - That's the Most Over-Used Blind Patriotism line Ever.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
You may not agree with war, but that doesn't give you the right to flip-off a dead soldier.

I don't like McDonald's, but that doesn't mean I go out and desecrate the graves of former burger-flippers.

Please show me in that picture where she is directing her middle finger at a tomb stone? Oh, I'm sorry what's that? You can't? Because she's flipping off a SIGN?

Oh sh** sorry. I see now. The little black signs fought and died for my freedom during world war two. I didn't know that. Thank you butt hurt people for enlightening me on the situation.

By the way, I'd rather people be throwing around middle fingers than slinging BULLETS AND BOMBS!!! F*** war apologists. War is literally terrorism.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Cos this is hard news, the type we need to consume our minds and distract us from the more trivial issues that surround our great world. I'm more disgusted by the fact this is classified as news then the actual offense itself.

Damn people, priorities.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What a silly, juvenile action for a young adult to commit !

They should give her community service but i don't think she deserves to lose her job or get a custodial sentence.

QV.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
Blind Patriotism? - Give it a Rest People.

For all we know this "Unkown Soldier" might have been a Total Wank.

And he did not die "Fighting for Your Freedoms" - That's the Most Over-Used Blind Patriotism line Ever.

Are you really this stupid? The tomb is for soldiers who were never found and could not get a proper funeral. Honor and empathy that is what this is all about. And to be honest I can see why these simple things would be lost to you.

She had every right to do what she did and I have every right to tell her she was wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by qvision
What a silly, juvenile action for a young adult to commit !

They should give her community service but i don't think she deserves to lose her job or get a custodial sentence.

QV.

She did not flip off any dead soldiers, or even empty graves. She flipped off a tiny metal sign. On top of that, according to what many people here are saying, those soldiers in that graveyard died so that she would have the right to flip off that sign.

If you look at this completely realistically, it's technically the soldiers fault for allowing her to have those freedoms by "laying down his life."

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

Are you really this stupid? The tomb is for soldiers who were never found and could not get a proper funeral. Honor and empathy that is what this is all about. And to be honest I can see why these simple things would be lost to you.

She had every right to do what she did and I have every right to tell her she was wrong.

Are people so confused and in turmoil with their own conscious mind that they are actually letting this get under their skin? If you think she's wrong for what she did, and it hurts you in some way, you are allowing it to hurt you, and on top of that it means that you created an issue out of a complete non issue.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
My thoughts are...

a) She undeniably has the freedom of speech to say whatever she wants

b) The rest of us also have the freedom of speech to say how much of an unforgivably rude and ignorant putz she is

c) Her employers also have the freedom of speech to say they don't want their establishment associated with that kind of behavior so they have every right to fire her.

d) Regardless of what your thoughts are of the gov't, it's still the expected norm to respect the dead. That goes for little known grandmothers with the unremarkable tombstone every bit as the unknown soldier with the 24/7 guards. This is because other than taxes, death is the only other constant in the universe, and everyone reading this post will someday wind up in a hole in the ground too. We are in no position to think we're somehow in a superior class because a few decades will take care of that.

e) regardless of whether or not she was just horsing around or was being sincerely disrespectful of our fallen warriors, the fact still remains she was behaving unbelievably stupid, and unbelievably stupid people are still on the list of those I have little empathy for just as much as people genuinely being disrespectful of our fallen warriors are.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join