It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future of America...Ay yi yi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
These kids are the reason why we must pay more taxes so they can get better schools and not be so dumb.

So stupid that it's funny... and depressing at the same time.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
FACE DESK* FACE DESK* FACE DESK* The capital of washington is tacoma (crosses fingers) and we got our independence from the revolutionary war.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
These are the leaders of the next generation, lmao. I marvel at the stupidity, wonder at the incoherent answers and weep for the future of this world.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yay ! I'm getting old and won't be around too much longer to see how all this turns out.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have no problem with people not knowing the capital of Washington state. I consider that useless information unless you are doing trivia at a bar.

In fact, I think memorizing information like state capitals, is a waste of education. Anything that can be searched on google in less then 3 seconds is irrelevant. Abstract thinking and comprehension are far more important.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Yay ! I'm getting old and won't be around too much longer to see how all this turns out.

Lol, hope and pray that none of the students interviewed are going into medicine and live in your area, lol. There's a very scary thought, lol. I've often wondered the same thing and am horrified by it, lol.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

I could care less about politics when I was in high school. The Berlin wall fell when I was in school, it barely registered on my radar.

Has no bearing on what my interests are now.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

But not knowing which countries border the US??? It may be trivial knowledge, but still, not knowing scares the you-know-what out of me. Just not knowing basic knowledge of the world at large is a massive concern. What happens when they finally go out into the world with little to no knowledge about it?
edit on 16-11-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I can only speak for my school system, but we never had Geography.

I think it is just not as important as other subjects like math and science.

Besides, I didn't get to that point in the video because I think these types of videos are bunk.

You don't know who is playing, goofing off, and they only show the stupid people because the smart ones aren't interesting enough. Not that there are not stupid people, but they don't represent everybody, just like the geeks don't represent everybody or the headbanger doesn't represent everybody.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

I can only speak for my school system, but we never had Geography.

I think it is just not as important as other subjects like math and science.

Besides, I didn't get to that point in the video because I think these types of videos are bunk.

You don't know who is playing, goofing off, and they only show the stupid people because the smart ones aren't interesting enough. Not that there are not stupid people, but they don't represent everybody, just like the geeks don't represent everybody or the headbanger doesn't represent everybody.

Geography was offered in my schools, from about grade 3 to grade 12 (grades 10 through 12 were optional, lol). I'll agree that they are not as important as math or the sciences, still it should be taught in schools. If not for our sakes but for yours. Knowing whats beyond your county, state or countries borders would only be a win win for you.
And I'll grant you that some of the individuals may indeed be playing or goofing off but what if they weren't? Then this would be a sad commentary on the US school system.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

But how can American high school students not know that stuff?

I was not educated in America and even I knew the answers. Admittedly I did live in Washington for awhile, so knew Olympia.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I have often wondered if the younger generations are starting to suffer information overload. There is so much coming at you that they now have to pick and choose what they consider important.
You know have full blown access to the net, the news is 24/7. How many countries are mentioned in the news in one day. You have all the up and coming technologies they learn coming at you at lightening speed.

Maybe they just don't consider it important information.

Some may choose to ignore it.

Even as an interested adult, you can't tell me that American politics are not overwhelming. They might be turning on their white noise filters.

And just because someone doesn't know any geography, doesn't mean they are not smart in other ways.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I feel like I should have not payed attention in school and failed everything.
That way i'd be on the same page as everyone else.

Hearing their answers made me feel stupid anyways..

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Even as an interested adult, you can't tell me that American politics are not overwhelming. They might be turning on their white noise filters.

And just because someone doesn't know any geography, doesn't mean they are not smart in other ways.

I agree on the first point, but the second I'm not so sure that is the point.

Most of the Geog questions shouldn't even need thinking about. If you grew up in the US how can you not know what countries you border on? Don't they teach the American Revolution in school? I thought they forced that stuff down your throats? I could understand not knowing the political stuff, I didn't at that age, would have been the last thing I knew. But there was some real head slappers in there.

You could be right about information overload, and choice of what to ignore. Kids are overloaded with entertainment, computer games, TV, stuff any kid would find more important than geography. But not knowing your borders?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

But not knowing which countries border the US???

Canada... that's a state never mind.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
What country starts with a U ?

Utopia,

Who is the the Vice President?

bin laden.

I can't stop laughing.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
VIce President of the United States? Bin Laden.....err Biden.

How many stars on our flag? Most said 51 or 52.

Most could not name a country that started with a U. DUH.

I am hoping this was scripted. If not, how very sad.

And to whomever said geography is not important?? Seriously?? I personally want to know Canada is to the north, Mexico to the south...and who they are and what they are up to. It does affect you and I.

The youth of America. Sad.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by maxella1

But not knowing which countries border the US???

Canada... that's a state never mind.

I guess that explains why some of them think there's 51 stars on the flag

join