It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Programming books

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Let me start by saying I do not have a back round in computer programming but I do have an awesome work ethic when dedicated. So please don't hold back any information that you may have because your worried it'll be over my head. Chances are it will be but I'll learn to understand it.

But...I need help in determining what computer programming books I should read to learn how to create a program similiar to an online poker program. As for a cyptograph, display, how to create a program and have it check for updates, etc. I'm not even sure what exactly it would entail.

Currently I have read an introduction to Java w/ oop focus and a data structures & algorithums book. These are the first 2 courses in UF's comp sci program. I am also in my 5th year of engineering school so I do have a strong math and science back round (if needed).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Ahh. Well I had a few books in mind until you mentioned Java. Sorry, I don't have that much experience in programming with Java. Only C++, Basic, C, C#, Ruby, and a couple others. But I can help you with finding books that aid you in the design process of a program.

A few are:

en.wikibooks.org...

www.goodreads.com...

www.goodreads.com...

www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_b_4

These are all good books, but I recommend staying away from the 2 Michael Dawson books if you don't want to take up C++, although his other books use DARK Basic, which is a relatively easy language to learn fast

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Thank you, I will definately look into them. I personally have no attachment to java and will learn C++ if I need too. I really enjoy programming as a hobby and the more I can learn the better.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Almost forgot to add in SQL. You should learn about SQL and Server lists and Cloud programming if you want to do things online.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
You will first want to choose a backend language.

If you are just starting out, id recommend you become familiar with PHP. Also, you will need a database technology if you are wanting to store any persistent data (user accounts, poker game records, etc). Schemaless databases are becoming big nowadays so take a look at MongoDB or CouchDB. If you want a traditional DB, go with postgreSQL. Of course you will want to look into HTML5 and CSS3 as they will be needed to structure and style your web application. Javascript will also be needed if you want to have live and dynamic data.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Is this in the wrong section or are you really interested in web design? Java isn't going to be much help if you are.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 1plusXisto7billion

How well do you understand basic programming logic? I want to know how well you understand the three basic structures of sequences, selections, and loops.

Do you have a firm understanding of the rules for variables, constants, literals, arrays?

More often it helps to get a firm understanding of Programming Logic and Design, before trying to tackle a programming language.

Study writing flowcharts and pseudocode.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

Hands on training is far better than abstract learning. Most programmers start out learning with an actual language and simple applications. It doesn't have to be elaborate but much better than sitting there like a bookworm trying to soak up information that hands on practice would teach anyways... and is more fun!

Here is a nice guide to Ruby if you like that:

mislav.uniqpath.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

He mentioned online poker website so it is in the right section.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ApolloBloodline
reply to post by SpearMint

He mentioned online poker website so it is in the right section.

A program similar to an online poker program, so I don't know if what he wants is web based or not.

If it is, then don't bother with Java, aside from teaching you basic language principles it's going to be useless. For browser side functionality you need to learn Javascript and of course HTML and CSS for structure and styling. If you need to store data on the server you'll need a server sided language like PHP, Python, Ruby etc.

If I were you I wouldn't purchase books, you can learn all these things for free, I did.
edit on 12-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Thank you for all your replies.

As far as the basics for computer programming (i.e. arrays, variables, loops, etc.) I feel I have a decent understanding (I also know Visual Basics if that counts
. I can write the simple tic tac toe programs and the sort but I'm not sure where to get started when it pertains to creating a web page, having the program download upgrades, fancy visual effects, and security features for clients' personal information.

On a side note, I think a hands on approach probably would be the quickest/easiest way for me too learn. Any recommendations as to the type of positions I could volunteer for? I'm assuming with my level of skills, other than volunteering, I wouldn't have much success.

Every a good day everyone.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ApolloBloodline
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

Hands on training is far better than abstract learning. Most programmers start out learning with an actual language and simple applications. It doesn't have to be elaborate but much better than sitting there like a bookworm trying to soak up information that hands on practice would teach anyways... and is more fun!

Here is a nice guide to Ruby if you like that:

mislav.uniqpath.com...

You know, a lot of the people I know started that way, but I found it difficult. I had a much easier time using the abstract-approach to learning the concepts.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If you're already familiar with BASIC and/or Visual Basic you might consider using DarkBASIC Professional as your editor. The regular version is free and there's lots of support on the website.

www.thegamecreators.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hey guys, thank you for all your help. I started to read C++ through game programming. It looks very similiar to java (definately different though but the foundations seem similar).

I have a question for you guys though: are there any types of books that would teach me how to build programs for practical use? I don't know if I said that right but basically every program I write, I have to use the command line to call/start it. How can I learn to create desk top icons or alternative ways of running them? And/or have them search (my database? perhaps) for updates?

Thank you again for all your help and maybe someday I can return the favor.

Cheers

edit on 15-11-2012 by 1plusXisto7billion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
hello,
complete reference is good book for java..
you can read online from websites..
1www.roseindia.net...
1.www.cafeaulait.org...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I like read books of computer programming,nowadays everyone can get more information by online books of computer and can learn programming language himself.................

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I have to concur with some of the other posts here. First off, you need to decide if you want browser-based or standalone, as both have very different methods of application.

Browser-based:
As already mentioned, you will need _javascript, html, css, and a backend database language, preferrably PHP (as it is the easiest from my experience to work with).

Standalone:
I would stay away from anything BASIC oriented. I haven't used VB for several years, but still dabble with DBPro and find that the remote socket options they provide aren't all that crash hot. You'd be much better off running with C++ and getting the extra power and security from many of the already established header files that are out there. You will, however, probably have to fork out more money for the extra functionality, and spend more time developing your product, but it will be worth it in the end.

As a side thought, have you considered your assets yet? Do you know how you are planning your front end? Graphics or textual representation? Food for thought...

Edit to add:
You mentioned command line interation. To move away from that, you want to explore Object Oriented Programming. I haven't checked this out fully, but you might want to check out this site: www.tutorialspoint.com...
edit on 17/5/13 by Scaleru because: Added extra information

new topics

top topics

join