It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me this is a hoax NY officials consider prison for Sandy Victims.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
They jumped the Fema camps and went straight for the endgame goal.
Oh I know it is Fox News but even for them they need to start with a grain of truth.

New York officials reportedly consider closed prison for displaced Sandy victims

Read more: www.myfoxdc.com...

edit on 9-11-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

Of course it no Joke, this is the America the land of the Obedient..... or go to prison

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

What's the big deal? Thousands of people need temporary shelter and this big place sits empty. It's not like they would be put on lock down. Any port in a storm.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yeah, screw organization! Throw them all in the Superdome! /sarcasm

What's so bad about organized shelter?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

What's the big deal? Thousands of people need temporary shelter and this big place sits empty. It's not like they would be put on lock down. Any port in a storm.

Let's hope that this is not the case

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I would think the camps got flooded or destroyed.
I thought Louisiana was the only place that built housing below sea level for Democrats.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WiindWalker

After hurricanes that cause a lot of damage it's pretty common to open up whatever big empty building is in an area to temporarily house people until they can find more suitable housing. An empty prison can offer shelter to a lot of folks who have either lost their homes or have no electricity right now. Private arena owners don't seem to be "knocking down the door" to volunteer their buildings as shelter, so I would think that they are just working with what is readily available without having to cut through a lot of red tape.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I agree. They need to get the water and electric up and running and several hundred people will be temporarily housed; out of the cold; where they can eat, sleep, get clean (still in freedom); and have a place to talk and comfort each other. I know that a former prison is not appealing; but in reality they are not criminals; just people who want to be out of the cold and waiting for more permanent housing.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think it is brilliant.

It has a roof, heat (if they get it working) a large kitchen, bathroom facilities, rooms and offices.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
It has a roof, heat (if they get it working) a large kitchen, bathroom facilities, rooms and offices.

And Bars and Locks, you forgot those.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Yes!!!! Finally a voice of reason. There's a thread on GLP about this and I can't understand for the life of me why people (people who don't even need these shelters at this time) are looking at this in a very bad way. Who cares if it's a prison? Prisons have heat, showers, beds, security and clothing. Some of these posters act as if it's going to turn into Auschwitz...I'd go in a heartbeat to keep my kids and family, let alone myself, alive.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

maybe they " jumped " straight to using a mothballed prison - because there are no FEMA camps ?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

And Bars and Locks, you forgot those.

It's more secure than a homeless shelter, where theft, sexual assault and communicable disease is rampant. I wouldn't mind being locked up safely in a cell with my family while we sleep. Geez. people...there are more pros than cons here...get over the prison thing already. Even the people on the Walking Dead know that a prison is the safest place to be...under thoses circumstances.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I think it is brilliant.

^you are the kind of person that I could get along with. It is a brilliant idea. People need to get over the fact that it was a prison...it is now a life-saving facility.

So many dumbasses have a problem with this...as they sit in their warm homes and eat a hot lunch.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If I had to choose between a formerly occupied prison, and sleeping out in the snow and peeing in the corner, I would vote for the prison. Let the people choose.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BacknTime

Of course it no Joke, this is the America the land of the Obedient..... or go to prison

cynicism and pessimism is the root of all extinction.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
All the horrible things they did to the Superdome haunts me to this day,

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

especially in solitary. It's really safe!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen

Originally posted by BacknTime

cynicism and pessimism is the root of all extinction.

Were dinosaurs that pessimistic?

Anyhoo...

It's not a bad idea.
Lots of decommissioned buildings are just money going to waste.
It's got pretty much everything they need except decent shower facilities.
They could bring in modular shower trailers or at least build stalls and lockers.
Even refugees should get a little privacy when they are washing ...stuff.
Needs to be done pretty quick though.
Getting cold up there.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
No need to mention the security potential of it should some of the populace get out of hand... solitary confinement anyone ?

But seriously, a prison is already set up properly to house a large-ish population of people. Beds, toilets, sinks, large scale industrial kitchen, eating area, rec areas, etc.

Why not utilize a building that's already got the proper facilities and just needs a little elbow grease to clean it up ? It would save a huge chunk of money that can otherwise be used to help these people get back on their feet, rebuild homes, etc.

Housing people in a superdome failed miserably for many reasons, at least in a prison people can have some privacy from one another.

It makes perfect sense to me.

top topics

join