It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sensation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Outlets such as Fox News are liars, that's a forgone conclusion in places like ATS, but the why aspect seems to be an area of confusion for many. With theories ranging from massive global population control to political bias, it is of my opinion that the root of the issue is far more idiotic. Fox News lies because CNN lies, ATS sensationalizes because GLP sensationalizes and GLP sensationalizes because ATS sensationalizes. They're in competition with one another, in competition for ratings, in competition with one another for money or more accurately in competition for survival.

You see the folks that work for ATS need money, not because they actually need paper, but because without it the general population will see them killed. In order to obtain that money they need to "wow" those that can help them obtain it. Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, ATS, etcetera usually don't make money directly, like a salesman they are middlemen. The money lies in the pockets of their viewers, though generally does not come directly from the viewers, but through their advertisers which obtain the money and then pay outlets like ATS what could be called a "finders fee."

ATS found the money for the advertiser, they obtained the viewer by tempting them with nifty things such as explosions and conspiracies. While showing the viewer what they wanted to see they also say "hey, while you're here you might as well check out these products." A percentage of the viewership buys something and the outlet receiving the money pays ATS or Fox News a portion of such.

If you're worried about your posts consistently being removed, buried or otherwise ignored know that ATS really couldn't care less about your psychological condition or views, they only care if it brings in viewers and by extension money. They only care if you're helping them to escape the noose that you're hanging around their neck. Don't get me wrong, they're tying that noose too, but if you're one to complain about media smoke screens beware of the hypocrisy, they're killing you because you're killing them.

P.S. "Ah the doom, the world is going to end so don't forget to stock up by purchasing stuff from our advertisers!"

On the flip side, doesn't it seem a little odd? Perhaps even a little backwards or counter-productive. Maybe, just maybe killing each other doesn't work so well. Perhaps those ancestors of ours, you know the people that thought the world was flat, the people that thought Pharaoh was god, the people that thought the edge of the earth was guarded by sea monsters, well perhaps they weren't so smart and inventing currency was just another one of their bad ideas.

P.S.S. Ah the quandary... Bury it because we certainly can't let the cat out of the bag? Then again it is the truth and damn it all to hell if it doesn't pose a moral dilemma, after all you do have blood on your hands.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Symbiot

::...I'm sorry...did you actually say...ATS and GLP in competition.....wipes tears from eyes...

Des

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You might be surprised. ATS is in competition with ATS. Each individual in competition with each individual. I watched a behind the scenes interview about Reno 911 and as it turns out the actors didn't actually get along as well as you might think. It was mentioned that they were really just trying to be funnier than the other actors, trying to make themselves look better, trying to make themselves more marketable. They hated each other because they all wanted the highest paying job.

P.S. The neck tie does resemble a noose no?

Edit: As a side note, I have a few games available on my web-site. A couple of them are available for download via another web-site, I use that site because it offers more storage for free than general cloud storage sites. Those little bastards had me install Skype so they could try and make me create a game that would help them make more money. They posed as a young modeler that wanted nothing more than to supply me with a few 3d models so he could gain experience, all the while dropping little hints about what they wanted me to do.

He tried to get me to buy Unity Pro for enhanced graphics, when that failed they tried to get me to waste my time porting the entire game over to the Unreal Development Kit for enhanced graphics. Graphics really sell a game more than any other aspect apparently. They deceptively tried to get me to implement different features that they felt would make the game more sellable, features I really didn't care to implement. They don't speak to me anymore, but never actually revealed who they really were.

Edit: They also graciously offered to redesign my web-site for free. Another young one, only 17, wanted to gain experience by redesigning my web-site for me. What a nice guy no? Then again, maaaaybe they just thought the content of my site might get in the way of their pocketbook.

Edit: You know what they never offered? They never offered to pay me to do any of the work they wanted me to do, opting to deceive me into it instead. Not that I would've taken the money, but they didn't know that. Perfectly content to take my work and watch me starve.

That reminds me, there was another web-site I sometimes frequent where they tried to con me into working for them.

It's true you know. They didn't give a hoot about me until one day, they saw me making these nifty little graphics. Everybody likes graphics ya know. All of a sudden little dollar signs started dancing through their heads. "Let's kill him" they said. "Let's kill him, gut him and eat him. Beat him with a club, strangle him, stab him in the back I don't care, just kill the little puke turn him upside down and empty his pockets."

Then they danced their little rituals waiting for blood to rain from the sky. No blood this time, maybe next time?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Symbiot

I haven't been sucked into anything from my web hosting service. I don't run any ads whatsoever. No popups, none of it. It's not free hosting of course, but its not a rip off either considering its unlimited disk space and data transfer. I use yahoo small business. It's up to me what I put on my pages. I like having full control and don't like ads on my websites. I've used it for about 10 years and not encountered any annoying issues or regrets.

The only time I've clicked on an ad on ATS, is by accident. I most certainly didn't make a purchase. I realize some might and I know there is a small revenue generated by just clicking ( by accident ) on a google ad.

I wouldn't consider ATS in competition with GLP. I see a lot of content here was copied off GLP. Or maybe its the same user posting on both. I don't know, don't care. There are other conspiracy sites besides these two.

I enjoy using ATS and I realize they need my membership as much as I need their services providing this website for us all to use. I consider a fair trade off. We are all using each other. I havent paid a cent to come on here. The day they ever ask me for money is the day I leave.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Symbiot

I don't know what this Reno show is you mentioned. Is it a reality show? Those aren't real and most people wouldn't be surprised its dramatized. We know two people who faked an argument to get on Maury or whatever it was show a few years ago. They did it to get a free trip to New York. They concocted a story on how the boy bullied the girl in high school and ruined her life and she confronts him about it. My daughter went to the same school as them and the boy confessed to my daughter they made it all up.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Reno 911 was a parody on reality shows, it was a comedy shot as if it were a documentary on police in the city of Reno Nevada.

Cooking up a fake story and presenting it as real is how shows like Ancient Aliens and big foot hunters make their money, none of it is true, but many of the viewers want to believe it so they tune in. Most of the internet is not unlike TV, the funding comes from advertisements for the most part, the content is just to get people to see the ads, purchase the products and keep the money changing hands. Doesn't matter if the content is true, just needs to keep people coming.

My website is both free and ad-free. Lucky for me Weebly says they do not force ads onto the web-sites of their free users. Technically they put an ad for themselves onto the free sites, but I was able to cut the ad out with HTML/CSS. They haven't complained to me about it and I assume they won't because they promise no forced ads.

That web-site that my current game project is posted on is actually part of a string of gaming focused sites. Most of the sites offer game reviews and previews to obtain viewership, the one I use offers some review content, but is mostly focused on offering actual games for download which is why my game is posted there, I needed somewhere to host the download.

I am reminded of another tactic that company used with my game. They posted a review of my game on a french gaming site and gently implied that my game plagiarized another very well established game, the comments section was far more blunt about the implication. At first I was taken back a bit as my game is really nothing like the other game. Then I noticed the statistics on my game's page, that article generated a significant jump in viewership to my game page. So why the false 'bad' publicity? They wanted people to think my game was like this other popular game, people really like the other game and if they think my game is similar then they're quite likely to come check it out. Lo and behold they came.

I seriously considered, and am still considering, removing my game from that site. When I posted my game there I didn't consider that they might resort to deceptive tactics to get my game out there, I wasn't even trying to "get my game out there," just thought if someone happened by it they might enjoy it. Now here they are making money off of my work while I scrape food out of dumpsters.

Upon seeing me in my emaciated state they walked up to me and deceptively asked if I'd work harder for them.

Edit: For the record making a video game is not the world's easiest thing to do. Especially when done pretty much alone. Most games have a team of modelers, texture artists, musicians, sound fx creators, story boarders, GUI programmers, AI programmers, level designers, etc. I do all of that by myself... For free

Edit: One more thing, just to add insult to injury there are many that consider it not even work simply because I don't make any money off of it. Doin' the job of maybe 20-60 people and I'm apparently not working at all.

Honestly... I do my best, constantly trying to improve myself. That's why I was so confused before, it's so obvious to me and it's as if this place is trying to stop people from being honest. As if this place is purposely doing everything in its power to stop people from being good honest decent human beings.

Speaking of giving the people what they want... I wonder just why it is that so many people want doom, why so many want the world to end...

new topics

top topics

join