It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

700+ Bookstores Boycott a Cookbook

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
4 hr Chef Author's Blog

Here is a snippit of what he has to say:

Why? Because I’m the next big bet from Amazon Publishing. I now have armies of booksellers hoping me to fail, despite my only motivation: getting books to as many people as humanly possible.

After reading his blog, I am led to believe that the big book sellers do not feel it will sale so they are not buying it.

He begs for them to have patience and insists it will take off.

Very interesting!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

HA HA HA "Barnes is not Noble"

Book stores are a dying breed... They know that their paper business model is kaput! I expect paper to go the way of the buggy whip! ..... Technology will pass books by but until the electronic world is truly worldwide you will not see a complete loss of paper books.

By resisting the change and trying to fight for the paper market thee stores will lose and go bankrupt unless they change and embrace the future!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

Source? Where did you get this information?

Got it from the authors website but didn't want to get into the issue of pushing web sales or the specifics of the boycott as it's a blog not a news source.

I don't have any articles saying "Barnes and Noble boycott book".
Its more about the issue of brick and mortar effort to combat e-books than the actual book it's self.

I like the author and his other two books are good.
www.fourhourworkweek.com... is his blog and the entry is on the first page.

The issues of e-books versus physical books has, to my knowledge, been a testy but basically business arrangement. He who sells most wins. I haven't seen the actual interference of chains on individual e-book sales so I wanted to open it up for discussion.

ATS finds much more interesting things than I usually do so I'm glad there has been a little interest here.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I don't get it. I bought my wife a Nook color (she loves it) when she wanted to read the 50 shades trilogy. I downloaded the Nook app to set the account up on my phone (there are great free books, or very cheap books, there). Nook is a Barnes and Noble operation. Why would they have anything against promoting ebooks?

To tell the truth I think it's the choice of publisher for the e-book that has them in a twist.
Amazon is pulling a big market share.
It doesn't do to rub Amazon customers the wrong way though. They don't NEED brick and mortar stores but most of them go to them when they get a chance. Usually they buy multiple books and try to support the stores because real book lovers also like real books.
I think it is down to corporate misunderstanding of the customer more than anything else.
Like I said. It's a mundane little conspiracy but books are important to me.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I think there is a lot of that not understanding their customer.

Whole Foods is a company that used to. Not so much anymore.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I still lean toward the preference for paper books, but I am loving my e-reader a lot more. The one that I have is called the Libre by Aluratek. I usually get my e-books from Kobo.com. My husband got it for me about 2 years ago and it was about $80 then and I don't know how much it might cost currently. It is nice in that it is solely an e-reader. No internet, apps, movies or whatever else. Just books. Actually, I think you might be able to load music on it to listen to also, but I've never used it for that, just reading.

Something like that might be worth checking into if someone isn't interested in all the latest upgrades and only wants a plain e-reader.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I have a LOT of real books (I prefer paperback for portability) and I have thousands of e-books. I get em all free online. I keep critical stuff backed up in e-book format like "how to" or survival books BUT there is something to be said for a real book. I find reading e-books on a PC screen can be hard on the eyes. I'd much rather crawl in bed with a paper back to do my nightly reading. Try reading War and Remembrance in e-book format ( the book is over 1000 pages) - no thank you. My eyes would commit murder. ( whats funny is i can spend all day on the internet and it doesn't bother me, only when i read e-books)

I have never had an e-book reader or any type of tablet based reader, i use a laptop for PC, so i don't know if you guys with those Kendals have these same problems.

If not, i would invest in one provided i can use it with any e-book i can download - anyone know these things?

Hey Glencairn, no way you can have a 12 year old if that's your picture in your avatar. Why that hottie doesn't look older than 25 !
edit on 9-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Heya! Yup, that is me. I do have a 12 year old and that is the sweetest thing that I have heard this week! Thank you.

My e-reader isn't compatible with Kindle or Nook's proprietary formats, or it wasn't I don't know if those readers are playing nice with others yet or not, but it does read PDF's and EPUB and I forget which other formats. I haven't had any trouble with it bothering my eyes, but I think that is going to be different for every person. To me, it looks exactly like the pages of a paper book and is one of the reasons why I chose it.

I tend to use mine for novels and such, so I don't have any experience trying to use it with manuals or anything, but I do know that the selection of books available for my reader is huge. Just about any book that I could get in physical form, I can also get for my reader.

I only go to Barnes and Noble for paper books, because the Nook stuff wasn't compatible with my reader, so I can't say it surprises me that they are not playing nice with a self-published author if they published through Amazon. They do carry other self-published books, though. I just now looked and an author that I like self-publishes and her books are available for the nook as well as at Amazon and Kobo. I'm not really sure what to make of that if the claims by the author from the OP are to be believed.

Thank you again for the pretty compliment!
Take care,
Cindi

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

Thanks.

I love the paper books myself. But some of the stuff I just cannot get in book form. I have to have the PDF, either because of them just no being printed or still available in that form or because of price.

For instance one PDF I have sells for $20 for the PDF download or about $200+ for it in book form. A few of the other things I have I am just not getting in book form, I am not sure any of them have survived.

The book I got that is from 1905 I managed to get for $7. I could have bought the reprints but they left out the artwork plates in the reprints. In this case I would rather have the original first printing. I also have the book on PDF so that I do not hurt the book that is moving toward 110 years old. Sure some of the information is prior to some information we have now but some of the other stuff is still holding well. That and the original book looks good displayed with some of my fossils.

Raist

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
This will blow up in their faces if they are not careful. E-books may be a popular thing right now, but it will never replace the real thing.

Hell, I can't stand to use one of them damned Kindles or whatever they are called. My eyes hurt after about 10 mins....so I read the book the way is was meant to be read.

You obviously haven't seen the paper-white kindle. Nothing there to hurt your eyes. Passively lit, and looks just like print on paper, if you are as old as I surmise by your complaint about hurting eyeballs. Maybe it's a mental block rather?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join