It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build a fire with plastic and water...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Found this and figured it could come in handy for those preps on the go, I mean you can find water and plastic anywhere so this is a great one to chalk up in your mental preps...

Very cool and great to know.

www.wimp.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Looks cool.. Could you say it in your post so People who can't watch the vid can know too.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Cool idea but not practical in a survival situation as you'd need alot of water, a big setup, and you have to wait till the sun is on the right spot.

A small magnifying glass would do the job just as good and it is a lot more practical.
and if you really don't have a magnifying glass you could also learn how to make a fire with a bow drill.
after some practice you will get the hang of it.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Take any plastic material that is similar to plastic wrap. Set it firmly within a frame or anything that can hold the plastic on the edges, so that you can pour water on it without it coming loose. Pour enough water to create a small pool, and it will set in the middle, where the plastic will bulge down with the weight. This creates a water lens. The sun will focus through it, burning anything sitting underneath.

Voila!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Oh. Just another variant of the lens. Thanks anyway!

You could in theory do the same thing with ice, too. just have to sculpt/melt its surface so it becomes a lens.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

You could use something like this as a slow cooker as well. Cool.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
There are videos on Youtube where someone starts a fire with a condom full of water.

edit on 2-11-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Sure what the video shows you is that by taking a piece of plastic and attaching it tightly across wooden poles at the 4 corners, then putting water in the center you can create fire, the condom example is pretty awesome too.

If you were desperate I suppose anything that works like a magnifying glass will do. I am so glad to have this knowledge, it really felt like I learned something when I discovered this, like one of those ah ha moments.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Now that is something I would recommend everyone watch. Very easy to use in the bug out!

new topics

top topics

join