It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents, how would you answer this question re: school enrollment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So my son's father and I were filling out the school questionaire. The usual, allergies, addresses, emergency contacts.

yadda yadda

Then it asked, if it was ok to allow media to interview and take pictures of your child?

I immediately said no, his father said yes. We went with no.

Now, of course mostly anything that has to do with media in the schools it would be like; this school is having a fundraiser, etc.

But knowing the media the way I do, I don't want it to be a segment on how this school is not up to par and then they interview my kid. LOL

So out of curiosity, what would you of answered and why?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I would have answered no.

There might be situations where I allowed my child to appear in the media in relation to his or her school, but I wouldn't allow carte blanche permission for them to do so.

I think you made the right choice, take it on a case by case basis.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I also had this recently when enrolling my 3 year old into nursery (attached to the school she is going to next year). I also said no and then spoke to the teachers about it. They said (in this particular schools case) that "media" referred to photos and the like to adorn the school walls, rather than direct involvement with the mainstream media.

To which i replied, "why don't you make that obvious on your forms then?"

Is it possible that the school in your case means it in a similar way?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I always answer no. I actually don't mind and I'm sure my boys would love being on TV. But I would just want to know first. Since that's not an option, I put no.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I would say no.

say your kid had a bruise on their face from falling and was on video with a bruise.

people would crucify you as a child abuser

you would be subject to harassment and child services all because your kid fell and hurt themselves

thats the type of society we live in

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I advised the school they require written consent from me in order to post my child's picture in any public forum, be it media or their own website.

They aren't allowed to photograph or video them or allow others to do so unless approve by either me or my husband.

The media should NEVER be invited to a school in any case, there is no legitimate reason to have reporters talking to young children.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
For our school, this refers to sporting and club events among other activities that may be covered in the local paper or even in the school newspaper. If parents do not want their child's picture in the general public, then we do our best to accommodate that wish even to the point of keeping their picture off of the school website.

I believe that when people hear the word 'media', they picture the aggressive reporter who only cares about the story. The school sees it as any public exposure while at any school sanctioned event including day to day attendance.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

It's just looks a normal legal disclaimer because it is illegal for the media to use the image of a minor without parent permission.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's interesting and in my opinion good that they are at least asking this now.

When my son was in 5th grade, I received the local paper and "Surprise" there is my son on the front page. Hauling donated food in a wagon.

The worst was when they quoted him, in another article about a tour of our hospital. They showed the kids different X rays, and my son says "That's my brothers!"
It was a very clear X Ray of a Quarter in a throat. Yes, my youngest really did that.
edit on 1-11-2012 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingTheWorld

This was our issue. There was no explanation. Pictures on the school walls are no problem. But other than "media" you really have to guess at what they mean.

I figured we could look into it and change our answer.

Thank you everyone for your input.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Good responses everyone. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Depends on the age imo. If they wanted to interview my girls(18&17)go ahead. They are their father's kids. What they got from them they probably couldn't use because of the profanity.
Younger kids, hell no. You aren't using my kids to force any agenda.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The question isn't presented as a short answer request but as yes or no so asking permission first isn't an option. I checked no. My youngest had to be removed from the class because of some activity being video taped. He was a bit irked but I like knowing that strangers can't identify my children and even though the school claims the video or pictures won't be used deceptivly they aren't the ones signing responcibility papers. Why is this? The school has no control over what happens to the photos.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

At my school, this simply means is it okay to put your child's work, picture, etc on the school web page or in the newspaper.

For example, we recently took a field trip and I posted the photos on our classroom blog. If a parent opted out of the media permission, I didn't put up a picture of their child. Or I won't put their written work online.

If it really worries you,talk to the school. I know our policy is to never publish pictures with names.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I wish there was just a: ask me first option. lol

new topics

top topics

join