It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK anti-terror agents probe mines theft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

UK anti-terror agents probe mines theft

presstv.com

British counter-terrorism units have launched an investigation into the theft of anti-tank mines used in Afghanistan form a freight train in Britain’s Cheshire region.

The mines, which belonged to the British Ministry of Defense (MoD), were reported missing after the train that left Longtown, Cumbria on Wednesday arrived at Didcot, Oxfordshire the next morning.

Media reports said ten packages containing anti-tank mines used by UK troops in Afghanistan have been stolen probably when the train stopped in Warrington, Cheshire.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Has anyone seen this reported anywhere else?

It does bring up a couple of immediate thoughts:

1. How the hell can explosives be stolen from a rail shipment? Surely armaments are guarded while being transported?

2. Why would the MoD be sending anti-tank mines to Afghanistan? Last time I checked, the Taliban didn't have any mechanised warfare capability.

If this story is indeed accurate, I find it rather worrying and wonder just where these mines will end up and what they will be used for, possibly on the domestic front. I don't buy into it being a possible theft of opportunity by anyone looking for easily shifted goods to be sold on for cash.
Have to keep any eye out for any follow-up or story from the UK press.

presstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The explosives still need their detonators but it was probably a opportunity job where someone put something on the line to stop the train and then grabbed a load of easy carry boxes from the 1st carriage they could get in as it does happen now and again since there's generally no security to speak of around the train lines and with only a driver who's busy sorting out the problems and getting earache for the delay so just wants to get back in the cab and off again so won't do any forms of checks to ensure the carriages are still secure

They'll probably turn up in a car park a few miles away in a few days once the junkies realise what they have and that no ones gonna give them tuppence for fear of a bunch of SAS guys dropping in to have a party

But would it of hurt to stick 2-3 squaddies on the same truck just to ensure its safety as they'd be able to trace the junkies back to the house by the brown trail they'll leave when they open the carriages and a few rifles are shoved in their faces

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

www.bbc.co.uk...

These are not something we want on our streets,although they have possibly been stolen to order,by some dodgey bar stewards.

Not good at all.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Although on closer reading,it could be kids who don't know what they found,as they dropped 7 out of the ten explosives.
Hmm,was someone giving chase I wonder?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Although on closer reading,it could be kids who don't know what they found,as they dropped 7 out of the ten explosives.
Hmm,was someone giving chase I wonder?

Thats the best case. They were stolen by some scumbags looking for something they could fence. If thats the case they'll probably turn up. You cant sell military explosives down the pub.

If they were stolen to order by people who understand what they are its a worry as I can think of no end of evil they could be used for.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
It was more than likely stole by Metal thief's that didn't know what they were stealing. I await a Headline "Stolen mines found, idiots blow themselves up"

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
What concerns me is whether the fatality was connected to the theft. (The mines were stolen while the train was held due to the line being blocked by a mop being struck by another train).

There's also the issue of these mines being used to blow up structures in Afghanistan. Why the hell would you use bar mines instead of blocks of pe?

I ain't buying the gyppos/junkies angle just yet.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
What I find ludicrous is that explosives are sent by rail without any guard. In fact, transporting any armament without it being guarded - by armed personnel preferably - just seems to be asking for trouble and I wonder if this is the usual policy? If it is then someone needs a serious kick up the arse for allowing it to happen.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

In my experience these trains have really strict schedules, you don't stop them for anything other than emergencies. They only go into specific loops or sidings when booked to do so. (Not if a passenger train is late...they keep going until their next stopping point). I was always under the impression that there were armed guards at the places these trains are booked to stop.

Edit to say: Actually it looks like it may have been opportunists as the person killed seems to be a "normal" suicide. www.yorkpress.co.uk...
edit on 29-10-2012 by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The British army no longer uses Anti Personnel mines

en.wikipedia.org...

As far as I know the British army no longer use any land mines, I could be wrong of course, These could be old weapons being taken for disposal? Seeing as the report comes from Press TV, who are reknowned just as much as Western Media for bending the facts to suit their aims, I'd hold off on judgemnet until reading other reports.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Shminkee Pinkee

They are Bar mines. Big old things to take out tanks. You wouldn't set one off even if you jumped up and down on it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Ah right, the ones they used to use, so basically it's old stock, I doubt they were heading to Afghanistan. Although it is worrying to a certain degree as there are still explosives in them and if they were stolen by someone with 'Know How' they may be able to fashion them into some crude but deadly bombs.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Yeah, though the Mail reckons they were using these mines to blow up bunkers and stuff. Guess using old gear is cheaper than C4, eh?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Panic over, seems they've been found

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Haha, bet those lads are wondering what the hell they've gotten themselves into now!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Ringpieces will be twitching in abundance :-)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Thats the best case. They were stolen by some scumbags looking for something they could fence. If thats the case they'll probably turn up. You cant sell military explosives down the pub.

Well, I do not know what kind of pub you like to drink in, but there are DEFINITELY pubs all over the nation where you CAN sell anti-tank mines. You just have to know which ones! There would be no way for terror groups, criminals, arms dealers, and so on to source goods locally otherwise.
edit on 30-10-2012 by TrueBrit because: Left stuff out. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Originally posted by justwokeup

Well, I do not know what kind of pub you like to drink in, but there are DEFINITELY pubs all over the nation where you CAN sell anti-tank mines. You just have to know which ones! There would be no way for terror groups, criminals, arms dealers, and so on to source goods locally otherwise.
edit on 30-10-2012 by TrueBrit because: Left stuff out. Sorry.

Fair point. Its the knowing which ones and then not getting robbed and/or murdered in the process that would be the tricky bit.

top topics

join