It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just for the love of argument...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cimmerius
I like Colin Powell, though I fear his reputation has been tarnished by association with President Bush, in particular when he gave the speech citing the evidence for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. I get the impression he was taken advantage of. Somewhere there was a meeting and it was decided that Colin had credibility, people trust him, so lets get him to say it...

Just my opinion.

This is true, but remember that Powell was the first person to tell Bush that he thought it was a bad idea, and he was squelched immediately. After that, what choice did he have other than to just do what his boss told him to, and try to mitigate risk and damage.

I really think he's more qualified for Secretary of Defense than Rumsfeld, but he has a lot more pull in diplomatic issues as Secretary of State, so that might just be the right place for him. If Powell was SECDEF right now, we probably wouldn't be in as big a mess in Iraq.

But then, that's probably why he wasn't chosen for SECDEF, and Rumsfeld was.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Dude, McCain/Powell is the DREAM TEAM!

I'd love to see this ticket for the Republicans in 2008.

President John McCain & Vice President Colin Powell (2008 - 2016)
President Colin Powell & Vice President ??? (2016 - ????)

Originally posted by edsinger
Alan Keyes I probably would...

Alan Keyes is a great guy. Very intelligent, thinks like the founders of the U.S. did -- his philosophy is very similar to Thomas Jefferson's.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Ron Paul, maybe
McCain, never
Powell, sorry, I think he's better being in charge of the diplomatic end of things.
Alan Keyes, no--it was too weird they way he became the candidate for Senator in Illinois.

But, for right now, I'm happy with Bush. Gives a fresh, new republican candidate a chance in '08. Or better yet, a strong Libertarian uprising in the next four years.

<< 1   >>

join