It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On overly picky relationship seekers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Online several months ago, I read a remark by a girl that she wouldn't consider dating someone if he didn't know what TARDIS stood for. (I don't even remember where I read this from, so I can't verify it... but you can no doubt see how common her attitude must be.) This was an obvious Doctor Who fan.

I understand how lonely niche fandom can be in the offline world. I myself have given up on encountering any fellow Nintendo players, let alone someone who shares my liking for The Legend of Zelda-- and I'm not referring to it being an idle side interest, either.

However, I would hardly pass up on any interpersonal relationship based only on that! What ever happened to personality? Other shared interests? Heck, maybe the other person IS a fellow fan, but doesn't happen to possess that tiny, insignificant little detail. Heaven forbid it be you that the information comes from, huh?

Maybe this signifies that such people are simply spoiled. They want things ready-made for them.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I can't believe it. I know what Tardis is. When your flashing up to a wall in roofing, that's what you tell your helper.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I don't understand....

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ohh come on, everyone should know what a Tardis is! I hate Doctor Who - but I still know.

I think us girls do set our selves standards - A lot of what you blokes find entertaining - we don't.

That's why we wont waste our times with anyone we cant share the similar little mundane things with us.

From my point of view anyway.

For example, I love the Premier League, and could not date anyone who hated football.

I also couldn't date someone if they didn't watch the news.

I would however enjoy time spent with somebody who knew who I was impersonating if i said "Bazinga!".

Amuses me, amuses them - tiny little gesture, but it makes all the difference

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Oh, I know what a TARDIS is too. Time machine made out of a police call box, yeah?
Eh, I guess I can relate to liking the little things. Like what the timeline for the Zelda games is. That's an obscure detail though.
edit on 22-10-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Yes but what does T.A.R.D.I.S. stand for? She asked what tardis meant, not what is a tardis.

Time And Relative Dimensions In Space=TARDIS

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
reply to post by Sinny

Yes but what does T.A.R.D.I.S. stand for? She asked what tardis meant, not what is a tardis.

Time And Relative Dimensions In Space=TARDIS

What, like LITERALLY what it meant?!

Run.

She's a freak - In a groovy way.
edit on 22-10-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

link   
I couldn't be with someone who didn't understand what TARDIS meant either.

My wife is now a Doctor Who fan.

Now we are both hanging for the xmas special and the continuation of season 7.

link   
Haaa! You'd think they chose the words to fit the 'tarded acronym and not the other way around.

All right, you guys, I was really being serious with my original post. You're getting discouraging.
edit on 22-10-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think when you obsess over something, or as you say "and I'm not referring to it [Zelda] being an idle side interest, either." you risk disqualifying other parts of your life. You're too focused on something [Dr. Who, Zelda] to enjoy your full life.

So flip that around, and you get a selfish person not wanting to free-up their obsession so they ask of their new relationships to be pre-qualified with their obsession before even starting out.

It's selfish, yes. And so is the person making the demand. But look at it this way - would you want to be with such a selfish person? If not, then she did you a favor by showing her true colours.

edit on 22-10-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is why im single. no girl on earth could ever possibly want me.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I take it you dont know anything about doctor who or zelda, dont worry they have some stuff on wikipedia, im just reading up on all things tardis and zelda ready to pick up some chicks

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I figured that I would try to date someone and then send them a link to my threads, and ask them what they think, without them knowing it was me.

What we do here is more important then a television show, but...... this is still a large part of my life, so being picky in this aspect to me is a deal breaker.

BTW, its not they have to agree, but I think that some people out there should be aware of the inner thoughts of someone they will like or love. I can see most men running for the hills if they saw half of what I have written here.

Peace, NRE.

Also if you can spend 3 hours listening the the ATS live show with me, I can watch 3 hours of football.. its only fair

edit on 22-10-2012 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman

I take it you dont know anything about doctor who or zelda, dont worry they have some stuff on wikipedia, im just reading up on all things tardis and zelda ready to pick up some chicks

I know that a tardis stands for time and relative dimension in space.

But.....theyre overly picky on everything. Thats why ive given up on dating.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by EllaMarina

I can't believe it. I know what Tardis is. When your flashing up to a wall in roofing, that's what you tell your helper.

Haha I like this one !!!

Seems to have passed over everybodies heads.Spose felting a roof isnt a popular pastime anymore ;D

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
All I ask is that she make lots of money,

and cook without the aid of a phone and a take out menu,

and, this is the most important requirement,

she must be portable....

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Hey, I feel the same way you do. But, I think being self-defeatist is the wrong attitude. I'm sure guys like you and I have an abundance of likable and favorable qualities. Don't let low self-esteem get in the way of recognizing just how valuable you are.

Back on topic. I think that TARDIS girl from the OP was joking. Nobody could be that myopic and really mean it. Could they?

I mean, just because I like Romulans doesn't mean I wouldn't date a girl who likes Klingons. And we all know Romulans and Klingons would never get along!

top topics

join