It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban shoot female rights activist teenager

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RimDaas

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Pinke

Originally posted by kyred
The people of Pakistan must decide if this is okay with them and are they willing to live with such things.

I believe Pakistani authorities condemned the act ... but I can only say this based off radio reporting on my way to work.

The people have to rise up. The women have to make their voice and actions heard. They have to fight this battle from within.

Civil Wars are the worst.

While I believe there is already a thread on this subject, I'm not so sure this is the solution. Islam needs to progress into the 21st century. Radicalism exists as a certain malignancy within this religion (as it does in many, but more so in violent forms within Islam today). We see outrageous acts of injustice committed by extremists every day. A revolt within Pakistan will change nothing. Islam needs to modernize itself, and return to certain principles it once held in which scientific achievements in multiple fields were valued and philosophical differences were at least entertained (and not met with acts of murder). The west could offer a helping hand by stepping out of middle eastern issues to an extent.

Nothing will change in this regard until Muslims decide to bring themselves and their religion into the 21st century. They risk it all if they do not, by starting a terrible war (which their radical imam's look forward to) that could potentially reduce not only their own people and religion, but the entire world to a memory.

It has to start with what is in their hearts (and by extension what they teach their children).
edit on 9-10-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

I fail to see how Islam suddenly comes into this. The girl was Muslim. Her family was Muslim. Her supporters are Muslim. And Islam is the problem because the Taliban attacked her. It's like me robbing a bank and saying it's in the name of God. Would you believe that I really did it for God?

Were the Taliban religiously motivated or weren't they? They've openly stated after they carried out this heinous act that they would do it again because they believe this girl was not acting in accordance with Islam. You're kidding yourself if you think violent extremism isn't a problem within Islam. The fact the victim was a Muslim herself does not negate this glaring problem. The religion itself has EVERYTHING to do with it.
edit on 16-10-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
dang and to think the US trained them, gave them weapons and supported them....

I don't think too many of them are still alive.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RimDaas

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Pinke

Originally posted by kyred
The people of Pakistan must decide if this is okay with them and are they willing to live with such things.

I believe Pakistani authorities condemned the act ... but I can only say this based off radio reporting on my way to work.

The people have to rise up. The women have to make their voice and actions heard. They have to fight this battle from within.

Civil Wars are the worst.

While I believe there is already a thread on this subject, I'm not so sure this is the solution. Islam needs to progress into the 21st century. Radicalism exists as a certain malignancy within this religion (as it does in many, but more so in violent forms within Islam today). We see outrageous acts of injustice committed by extremists every day. A revolt within Pakistan will change nothing. Islam needs to modernize itself, and return to certain principles it once held in which scientific achievements in multiple fields were valued and philosophical differences were at least entertained (and not met with acts of murder). The west could offer a helping hand by stepping out of middle eastern issues to an extent.

Nothing will change in this regard until Muslims decide to bring themselves and their religion into the 21st century. They risk it all if they do not, by starting a terrible war (which their radical imam's look forward to) that could potentially reduce not only their own people and religion, but the entire world to a memory.

It has to start with what is in their hearts (and by extension what they teach their children).
edit on 9-10-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

I fail to see how Islam suddenly comes into this. The girl was Muslim. Her family was Muslim. Her supporters are Muslim. And Islam is the problem because the Taliban attacked her. It's like me robbing a bank and saying it's in the name of God. Would you believe that I really did it for God?

Were the Taliban religiously motivated or weren't they? They've openly stated after they carried out this heinous act that they would do it again because they believe this girl was not acting in accordance with Islam. You're kidding yourself if you think violent extremism isn't a problem within Islam. The fact the victim was a Muslim herself does not negate this glaring problem. The religion itself has EVERYTHING to do with it.
edit on 16-10-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

Yes the Taliban claim to be religiously motivated. But I don't know where in Islam it says to kill girls if they are going to school. Care to enlighten me? I never said that extremism isn't a problem in Islam. But this action was obviously not religiously motivated. It was politically motivated and the girl was openly aggresive to the Taliban.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The fact the victim was a Muslim herself does not negate this glaring problem. The religion itself has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Religion has been used as an excuse for all kinds of terrible acts - - by all believes over time.

This one is just current.

However - - prominent leaders of a belief need to start speaking up against extremism.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join