It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Numbers Too Convenient...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

Are you serious?
The fact is, these numbers DO NOT include people whom have run out of unemployment benefits.
Nobody wants the economy to be worse than it is.
What we would like, is honesty when reporting these numbers.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

The unemployment number reported has never included certain people, it has a very specific definition.

So what you are saying is that you want Obama to use a completely different formula and definition to make the numbers look worse instead of using the same formula that has always been used.

In short, you don't want Obama to succeed, so you would rather see America fail.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Unemployment numbers just announced...

Down from 8.1% to 7.9% with only 114K jobs created???

It just doesn't make sense...

I think it's a bit too convenient considering Obama needed something to dig him out of the debate debacle.

Thoughts ATS?

Edit: Source

~Namaste
edit on 5-10-2012 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

It is because the DOL has cooked the books.
Not to mention they failed to report the amount of people that have fallen out of the Counting metric.

It is info for the stupid to rally behind the Bum in Office.

edit on 5-10-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Let me say this, the company I work for had been doing forced layoffs every 4-6 months since 2008. I am still with them (knock on wood) and they have not laid off any existing employees in over 6 months. The same has happened with rival companies in my industry.

I can see a definite shift in certain industries. While some sectors have had a hard time stabilizing, that is not the case in others as the rise in employment is more evident.

So what does this mean? Well, most likely things are actually improving for the economy! As hard as it may be for some to swallow, things are starting to shape up, slowly but surely. The mess that we were in is starting to be fixed. Of course it is not as fast as we would have liked it to happen but it is still happening, nevertheless.

So, don't get caught up in the numbers. So what if unemployment is actually 22% instead of 7.8%. If we use the 22% barometer, I think we then need to check what it was 2-6 months ago. You smart folks would see a drop from 25-30% down to "real" figure of 22%, as some are claiming it is. It's all semantics and relative numbers crunching so there should be no need to worry about that.

edit on 5-10-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Unemployment numbers just announced...

Down from 8.1% to 7.9% with only 114K jobs created???

It just doesn't make sense...

I think it's a bit too convenient considering Obama needed something to dig him out of the debate debacle.

Thoughts ATS?

Edit: Source

~Namaste
edit on 5-10-2012 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

i guess you can't wait for the republicans to get back in power...they have done such a great job in the last few decades. the wealthy still need time to finish off the middle class, but, this class war is almost over.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Originally posted by jtma508
Or.... it could be the large retail seasonal push that has been talked about on the news for the last couple of weeks. Retailers are expecting a rise in consumer holiday spending and have significantly increased rheir hiring. Which typically begins after labor day. Is there manipulation? Very likely. But I don't find these numbers terribly remakeable given the overall reportng trend.

Do you mean to tell me that if the middle class spends more money it creates jobs?

But, that is the opposite of what Romney says happens.

No, from a purely economic take, anyone that spends more money, from rich to poor, will help create more jobs though the demand for more goods and services.

Nope. From a purely economic take:-

A family earning $50,000 with an extra $100 a month will spend it in the local economy for more goods and services.

A family with $50,000,000 with an extra $100 a month will send it to the Cayman Islands for.......a rainy day?

But first, they have to have JOBS.

~Namaste

First they have to have more money that will create JOBS.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

I guess this thread is suppose to be about Obama?

Sorry, I don't give at rats tiny butt about who is in office on this issue, I have ALWAYS had a problem with how this is reported. It is ridiculous.

I know it is a reflection of who is in, but they all lie, R or D.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Here's a breakdown of the previous and revised numbers:

Previous
July = 141,000
August = 96,000

Revised
July = 181,000
August = 142,000

How could the government be this "inefficient?"

July = +28.4%
August = +47.9%

This is baffling.

Source:
Jobless rate drops to 7.8 percent; economy adds 114,000 jobs By Vicki Needham - 10/05/12 08:30 AM ET
thehill.com...

Interesting Numbers From A Couple Days Ago:
Report: Private-sector employment up 162,000 last month By Vicki Needham - 10/03/12 08:35 AM ET
thehill.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

chiefsmom.....correct in every aspect....I trade daily in the market....It's pure manipulation by the giant sovergn wealth funds....with whom I'm battling and clobbering.

An amended number is due out in a minute.....the dow will go up today and from now on.....the US dollar will continue it's race to the bottom, a wave I've caught 100 % of .....and the european continental currencies are all going up in a medium speed grind...a trait I've identified to mean a long term trend is in place.....and watch out for the famous...."OCTOBER SURPRISE"

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What really matters is the U-6 numbers put out by the Department of Labor's Bureau of Labour Statistics. . .

the government releases a separate number called the "U-6," which provides a more complete tally of how many people really are out of work.

Source

Now . . . having said that, I have to throw the big horsepoopin' flag on the published 'unemployment' numbers along with a hearty what's up with that to the DOL's bureau because in somewhat convenient fashion, the U-6 data is for some reason . . .

Notice

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:48 AM

The database is currently unavailable.

[ coughcoughbullshirtcoughcough ]

How amazingly convenient.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by HostileApostle
How patriotic of all of you, hoping the economy is worse than reported.

Face it, things are STILL improving despite the Republicans and their obstructionism. And despite all of you hoping for higher unemployment, more people are working.

It's just kind of sad for people to come up with conspiracy theories out of hatred of a man.

What is sad is that there are now hundreds of thousands of Americans who have no job and no unemployment. Obama is celebrating their misery, and so are you.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Guess that was the real meaning of "saved or created".

Creating fictitious unemployment numbers to save his own job.

Yeah those unemployment numbers are too convenient, but what do people expect when they control those numbers.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Sure, you want to talk U6 numbers, fine.

When Obama took office the U6 was at 15.1%. Today it is at 14.7%.

So it doesn't matter how you want to attempt to spin it, Unemployment is finally lower than when Obama took office.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HostileApostle
reply to post by GoalPoster

Sure, you want to talk U6 numbers, fine.

When Obama took office the U6 was at 15.1%. Today it is at 14.7%.

So it doesn't matter how you want to attempt to spin it, Unemployment is finally lower than when Obama took office.

It's just a damn shame that announcement after announcement for months indicates the lowering unemployment figures have as much or more to do with job seekers who are disaffected and dropping out of the hunt entirely.

This is all B.S. either way. If it was lower today if wouldn't be for long...and it if went higher today, he might as well have thrown in the towel because it only gets worse from there.

However, sequestration, in addition to resulting in across-the-board cuts of about 10 percent, would also prompt the furlough of 100,000 civilian defense employees, likely beginning within weeks of the new calendar year and lasting through Sept. 30, the end of the fiscal year, he said.

With the election nearing and voters to be courted, Harrison does not expect the uproar over contractor layoffs to die down soon.
Source

The storm coming will make this crap irrelevant. For what it's worth I'm JUST as happy to see the Republican leadership fry and get run out of office for letting it come to this as well. In the end though, Boehner couldn't lead a High School Marching band down Main St and neither could Pelosi. I don't expect them to. The main hired as President has LEADER in his description and this one has been a 100% total failure in leadership of the two diverse parties he's charged with working with. "They don't wanna" sounds like a petulant child who didn't get their way and it doesn't cut it for a President.

So.... We can be happy about today's numbers or we can be realistic and admit little has really changed either way. The whole cancels out much of the minor fluctuation when the whole is as BAD as it is right now, IMO.

<< 1   >>

join