It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 5 Creepiest Places to Visit: Have You Been There?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

I love all things creepy, so when I saw This article listing the creepiest places in North America, I just had to read it. I've visited three of the sites, and now the other two are on my radar screen.

First up: New Orleans, Louisiana.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Few cities conjure up a creepy atmosphere as palpable as the Big Easy. Mired in a long and sometimes seamy history, New Orleans has been home to slaves and slave drivers, pirates, and—as some will affirm without pause—ghosts. The French Quarter, site of the city’s founding in 1718, is a dense neighborhood of narrow streets and unique wrought-iron and wooden architecture—a prime stomping ground for displaced souls.

Voodoo and Santería, two Afro-Caribbean religions practiced here, have greatly contributed to the city’s mystical atmosphere. Then again, the sprawling graveyards where dead are “buried” in cement vaults below sea level—not the most stable final resting place—have certainly done their part, too. But Royal Street’s LaLaurie House holds the title for the most haunted mansion: it’s the 19th-century home of a reputed serial killer of slaves. The ghosts of the wicked lady of the house, Delphine LaLaurie, and her victims are said to still make appearances today.

I had the wonderful opportunity to visit New Orleans for a day this past summer, and I fulfilled a lifelong dream of visiting the above ground cemeteries. It was a rather ominous place to visit, and I actually find cemeteries peaceful and relaxing places. Of course, the ominous feeling might have had something to do with the approaching storm. Nothing like lightning and thunder to add that special touch...

Second place: Charleston, South Carolina

[quIt’s one of the oldest cities in the United States, and one of the most haunted. They say ghosts from the Civil War patrol some of the steeple-lined lanes of Charleston, while the Battery plays home to some of those lost during the slave trade. The city’s beautiful old Southern architecture makes it worth a visit in any case. Consider a stop into the 1869 Dock Street Theater, especially if you want to try for a backstage glimpse of Nettie, a young lady killed here by a lightning strike in the 1800s, and Junius Brutus Boothe, father of assassin John Wilkes Boothe.

Also called the “Holy City” for its abundant churches, Charleston’s graveyards are regular hotspots for apparitions—but not as much as the Old City Jail, where brutal killings took place and allegedly left some angry spirits who aren’t afraid to push tour goers around, literally.

I love Charleston....it's a beautiful city with Southern charm. It just feels....old, if that makes any sense. While I've never experienced anything paranormal during my two visits, who's to say what really happens there? Personally, I enjoy going for the rich history alone.

Third Place: Salem, Massachusetts

Salem is also home to the Joshua Ward House, said to be one of America’s most haunted houses since being built atop the grave of the witch trials’ malevolent high sheriff. The grave was eventually relocated, but the ghostly phenomena persist.

Never been to Salem, so can't really comment. Nor have I been to the Fourth Place: Key West, Florida

Creepy Key West also got a bump from one of the island’s most legendary residents: Robert the Doll. Many claim this oversized doll is possessed, and spent nights pacing and throwing furniture around the room where he lived in the early 1900s. Drop by the Art and Historical Society to see him, and be ready for your hair to stand on end. Don’t forget a quick visit to Ernest Hemingway’s former abode, where some say you can still hear his typewriter ticking away.

. Video about Robert the Doll, having difficulty linking it. Maybe someone can post it, otherwise just visit the link.

Fifth Place: Savannah, Georgia

Local lore says that plenty of centuries-old ghosts have settled in Savannah among the great mossy oak trees, Gothic mansions, and aging cemeteries. Once voted America’s most haunted city by the American Institute of Parapsychology, this seaport has served everyone from pirates to bootleggers to Civil War soldiers, many of whom were buried here. The only problem is that much of the city was built atop some of those centuries-old graveyards, making it a busy scene for ghostly sightings.

The Moon River Brewery and Mercer House (setting for the 1997 film Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) have their share of ghost stories, but it’s the 1796 Hampton Lillibridge House that had to call in the exorcists—apparently to no avail.

I love Savannah; it's a beautiful town that oozes southern charm. My favorite place to visit in Savannah is a restraint known as "The Pirate House." Built in 1753, the house was a refuge of sorts to pirates and other criminals. The food is nice, but the atmosphere is amazing. While we were there, a few odd things happened; the lights would flicker occasionally, I saw things out of the corner of my eyes, and during the walk through (guests are allowed to tour the different rooms at their leisure) I felt watched. Of course all of these things are quite possibly mundane events in a spooky setting, but I had fun. Can't wait to return.

IMO, the list left off the most haunted place in the South: St. Augustine, Florida. This is one of my favorite places to visit. Situated on the Atlantic, the town is the oldest in North America (outside of Native American areas). The Castillo de San Marcos guards the town and is reported to be extremely haunted. Likewise, many of the older houses and homes date back to the first settlement and have their fair share of ghostly activity.

So, now that I've shared this list, I'd like to hear from you, my friends. Have you visited one of these places, and if so, did you experience anything unusual? Or do you have a different destination that you would add to the list?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
If you want creepy, try that : capela dos ossos, Portugal

www.google.pt...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrysalis

i have been in the Czech version of it. There is a similar church in a small town called Kutna Hora, amazing and creepy at the same time.
Unfortunately i have not seen any of the places mentioned by the OP, but it's good to know what to look for when i go to the Us for a visit!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Palermo, Italy is another great place, specifically the catacombs. I've never been, but it's on my list!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

There is something about Savannah that's always appealed to me. Maybe it's the southern charm without the redneck factor. Never been to any of those cities, and N.O. doesn't really come across as my cup of tea, maybe it's the voodoo, I don't know, but cities along the eastern seaboard have always had my attention. Especially the Carolina's for some reason.

If I ever hit the lottery though and start travelling, Salem would be near the top of list. I have kind of a passing interest in this sort of thing, but it really helps point out how much this country has to offer to see and do.

Cool thread.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Been there many times, truly impressive, recently they have dug up a new section of it, and exposed the findings, if you can, definitely go, took my girlfriend there last year. she even managed to make some videos of the place

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Haloweens coming, huh?

If'n you ever make it to the west coast, The Winchester Mystery House is a weird enough place to visit even if you don't get spooked. I mention it because I've lived in this valley all my life and never visited the place. But I did see a ghost there from outside the fence. I thought he was a work man. As it turns out, he was.

Years later I come to the web and lo and behold...

mysteryhouseguide.com...

Its one of my ghost stories. One day I'll bring it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I have visted Salem a few times,but a place that is truly scary is DudlyTown ...tou can feel the evil and it is totaly silent, not even one bird chirp.

Birder's Journal: Old Curse Haunts New England Forest

Was Connecticut's tiny Dudleytown, which was settled in the mid-1700s, cursed from the start? That's the only explanation many people have for the disproportionate number of horrors that befell the residents of the town before it was abandoned a century ago.

According to some local historians, the town's remains have witnessed madness, suicide, fatal accidents, natural disasters, and vanishings.

cmtk3.webring.org...

edit on 5-10-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Ooooooh, cool thread. I have been to Salem Massachusettes. It is awesome. I swear you can feel strong energies there. It is rich in history and has many quaint little shops. DO NOT go on halloween! Oh my God,you'll wait hours to get into any museum or restaurants. Go when you can see and experience all they have to offer.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Been to NO and been to Salem. The other poster is right, there are some very deep, almost creepy vibes there.

But it is beautiful at the same time. Saw the second most haunted house in America there, outside though. It was closed, and is an architectual firm.

New Orleans is worth going to just for the cemetaries.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I really enjoyed walking through the cemeteries in NO. I love cemeteries in general, but there was a different feeling there.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I should have seen this list earlier! I have been to every one of the places on the list! The irony - with the exception of Salem, Mass. ( went there as a child, maybe 7 or 8 years old ) only one of them creeped me out at all. Salem smelled old, I remember - like wood... and I think my father probably had a lot of fun making me ten times more frightened than I should have been. So I don't quite count that as creepy - even though it was at the time.

Savannah is gorgeous and I go there at least once a year - whenever possible. Beautiful place.

I've only been to New Orleans once - literally the afternoon before Katrina. I got sent because the person who normally handled that market refused to do it that week because of fear about the storm. I had mixed impressions about the parts of the city I experienced ( I had to visit three clients in New Orleans, and then drive to a town called Houma, to the south ). I thought that the graveyards in New Orleans ( passed them a LOT because Mapquest gave me improper directions - forcing me to look for a highway that was not actually built yet ) were absolutely captivating and beautiful in their own way. But, other than that, the parts of the city I was in were, for the most part, totally run down ghettos - reminiscent of a Detroit, or the Bronx in the mid eighties.

Charleston was a city I had business dealings in on a regular basis and found it to be a typical southern city - it never stood out to me as especially creepy at all.

As for Key West? That place does strike me as creepy. I visited many times when I was between 10 and 13 years of age - and camped their several times as a boy scout. I never felt "good" around that area... it always did creep me out greatly. It may have been just me... but I always felt uneasy in the keys.

~Heff
edit on 10/28/12 by Hefficide because: clarity

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I've lived in Charleston my whole life, I love this city with all of my heart and many locations here that I'm very familiar with have proven many times to be truly creepy. I love Savannah, New Orleans, and Key West as well...unfortunately, I haven't gotten to visit Salem but I plan to one day.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Been to NO and been to Salem. The other poster is right, there are some very deep, almost creepy vibes there.

But it is beautiful at the same time. Saw the second most haunted house in America there, outside though. It was closed, and is an architectual firm.

New Orleans is worth going to just for the cemetaries.

These above ground cemeteries in Louisiana just creep me out in general. I saw an article in the dailymail a few weeks ago that dozens of these cemeteries are getting washed away because of erosion and rising water levels. Decomposed parts are washing up in places... Ugh! So creepy ( not that a word about these jeopardized cemeteries is appearing in local newspapers).

I will add to that, they put cemeteries everywhere in Louisiana. I pass 6 on my way to work. One is in someone's front yard in a regular subdivision, 1 is on the corner beside a gas station. Most are not associated with churches. There is one cemetery a few blocks down from my house where some idiot has painted every vault vibrant purple. That creeps me out more than anything! I'd have to haunt someone's arse if they made me permanently rest in a fluro purple vault for all eternity.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja

The purple vault thing is kinda funny, albeit disrespectful...kinda groovy yet sacrilegious at the same time, LOL.

That's probably awful of me to say. =/

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jcutler12888

I should stop and take a picture, they have even painted all of the tombstones purple. It is so bizarre!

I will have to get one of the mods to post it for me though :-)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja

LOL, definitely take a picture and see if you can put it on here, I'd love to see it! Wow, even the tombstones...that's so trippy, haha.

I don't know how to get pictures on here...I've been trying to figure out how to use my picture as my avatar but I can't find a way to upload it or whatever. Do you know how to do the avatar upload process? If so, please tell me how to!

top topics

join