It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What space did the universe expand into?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Did a quick search, couldn't find it.

Now a quick question: If space and time was created at the moment of the Big Bang, what space did the expanding universe expand into?

Now, this is just for chat. I don't wanna see comments of go to school, click all these links, blah blah blah.

I'd like to read what you know, and if you don't know, then your opinion is still welcome.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The Uni-Universe or you could call it Meta-Universe
Or maybe Universe is one living organism made of me you and everything inside it including the stars and galaxies and we're simply part of the system. If you look at electrons around the nucleus in atoms, it's very similar to how a solar system work. Now imagine if an infinitely smaller living thing existed and they had a whole civilization of them on one of those electrons. They're conscious of their own existence, but they're not able to fly away from this electrons to get to another because at their scale, your body is the size of the universe and other atoms are stars in "the sky".

Now if you go deeper
living things all live in pure harmony with nature & "mother" Earth. Every species do this except humans. We probably did long time ago, but on to my next point.

Do you know that a cancer is not a disease... It's a corrupted cell that effectively forgets it's purpose and can't do what it's supposed to do, duplicating & destroying its very own system. There's no "infection", no outer body or virus.

Now since we're the only one destroying the planet, we're very close to the definition of a cancer! That is if you consider true that the planet is alive and part of our own living system. Some see the planet as a ressource for profit-making, in fact the whole industrial system see it this way. That's how a cancer thinks

It can be hard to believe, but the more science advances, all they discover is that what you find above is the same as what you find below, only in different scales. Everything has its very unique purpose. Everything is connected
edit on 28-9-2012 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It's expanding on the screen of some cosmic computer. Or the multiverse. Or nothing?
edit on 28-9-2012 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is one of those big questions that scientists go crazy thinking about.

String theory holds the idea that there is no sudden creation of anything..just energy being sort of passing back and forth between different dimensions, called membranes.

I like to consider things more like a big plant. our universal bubble is really just a new flower bud that popped off a stem....mostly because the question is too big for me to understand.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
why cant it just always have existed? why is that question denied so harshly?

the space before the big bang existed infinitely and will always exist.
its beyond our comprehension as we are just appearing right in the middle and will die out just as quickly.

imo

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Now a quick question: If space and time was created at the moment of the Big Bang, what space did the expanding universe expand into?
The expanding universe didn't expand into any space. There was no space outside the expanding universe, or so the standard theory says.

what is the universe expanding into?

Perhaps the simplest way to look at these questions is the following: if the universe includes, by definition, everything -- all of space, time, matter, energy -- than there can be nothing outside of it (and hence no edge), nothing for it to expand into. Its true that this is contrary to our everyday experience, as is much else in physics and astronomy; but of course our everyday experience does not extend to the entire universe.

edit on 28-9-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't know....................

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I like to think of it like this.

The Universe is all the stuff, Space is the Void.

The Universe (galaxies, stars, planets, dark matter, dark energy...) is expanding into the void of space.
I think this is the most simple and practical explanation there is.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I like to think of it like this.

The Universe is all the stuff, Space is the Void.

The Universe (galaxies, stars, planets, dark matter, dark energy...) is expanding into the void of space.
I think this is the most simple and practical explanation there is.

How do you explain one side of the universe expanding faster than the other with this model? Seems like something outside of our universe is exerting a gravitational force on one side?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic
How do you explain one side of the universe expanding faster than the other with this model? Seems like something outside of our universe is exerting a gravitational force on one side?
Watchitburn's explanation is certainly not that of astrophysicists. However if you are talking about dark flow, it's a bit uncertain as they don't even know if it's coming or going:

Dark Flow

right now our data cannot state as strongly as we'd like whether the clusters are coming or going," Kashlinsky said.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
See how a bottle of beer/lemonade with the cap on has no bubbles?
Release that pressure taking the cap off..
Those bubbles are universes..

IMO.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

Arbitrageur was very correct.

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Watchitburn's explanation is certainly not that of astrophysicists. However if you are talking about dark flow, it's a bit uncertain as they don't even know if it's coming or going:

I said that was how I like to think of it. I am in no way, shape or form, an astrophysicist.

I am aware of all the crazy math and models, M theory, string theory, and all that other jazz.
But this is how it makes sense to my uneducated brain.

But I don't remember hearing one side is expanding faster.
I'll have to check that out, thanks

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
why cant it just always have existed? why is that question denied so harshly?

the space before the big bang existed infinitely and will always exist.
its beyond our comprehension as we are just appearing right in the middle and will die out just as quickly.

imo

The fact that it's still expanding faster than the speed of light strongly suggests it wasn't there before.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

yourmaker,baby....that won't get it....this question is where the human brain "short cicuits"......this where one realizes God is real....and He has instore for us ( if you will read scripture) something in store for us that is better than we can imagine to a degree that is a greater mystery than the ones that short circuit us.

Now go read at least some of the scripture and like supernatural magic your eyes will see the truth....but you actually have to read it to get this stuff
Ya know what you'll have then?.....what you've been looking for....the search will be over.....the war will be over....
edit on 28-9-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh ...coolest of names

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
There is some very fancy math that explains the properties of what M-theorists call "the bulk". But wether there is a "bulk" has not been proven.

Without math, its too abstract of a picture for our human minds. the properties that make up space and time were none existent and we dont experience anything like it in our everyday lives.

If you want to get a good idea of what mainstream cosmologists know, or think they know, then read about Inflationary theory. The universe didnt just go from a point, to were it is today. There was 2 stages. Ever hear about the ultimate primordial soup? The quark gluon plasma is the stage of matter that they predict everything was in a few moments after the first inflation.
edit on 28-9-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

Love the avatar dude....On topic: I think the big bang theory is incorrect..I can not comprehend how the trillions of billions of galaxies, stars, planets, and moons that make up the universe, all that matter, could be condensed down into a singularity..I think it's a static universe that has always existed, and always will exist..I see no beginning or end to our universe

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It expands the same way mind expands. If you want to understand what is at the edge of the universe. Understand whats at the edge of the mind.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

The thing that got humans this far is not the philosophy "if we don't know, assume it's god", which sadly a lot of people go by. It's "if we don't know, let's find out". Fairy tales created by humans are not the answer and are not related to the question.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

That is why religion will be out of date eventually. Cause the gap between what we do know and we dont is getting smaller every day.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I don't know, but I think if I was able to observe all of existence outside of our Universe it would be enough to drive me mad.

Maybe enough to turn me into a super-villain.
edit on 28-9-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join