It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any steam punk fans here?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
If you'd have asked me the same question a month ago, i'd have asked you what on earth you were talking about?

However during a search through some images to do with customizing a banjo (yes, sad i know), i got diverted into the world of Steam Punk. Turns out, judging by the films i've always been into, the books i enjoy and the artwork involved in the subject, i would have been classed as a keen steam punk fan for many many years.

So what is it?

Steampunk is a genre that originated during the 1980s and early 1990s and incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, horror, and speculative fiction.

It involves a setting where steam power is widely used—whether in an alternative history such as Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States, or in a post-apocalyptic time —that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art.

This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld, and China Mieville.

Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine.

Steampunk also refers to art, fashion, and design that are informed by the aesthetics of steampunk literature.[1] Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.

Steampunk

What is Steampunk?

For me it's the science fiction and the whole "gadgetry" behind the genre that i love. Some of the artwork involved is amazing.

Does anyone else had an interest in this?

CX.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I can only say that I developed a mild interest in Steam Punk when I went looking from some interesting wallpaper backgrounds for my computer. I've seen some interesting concepts, like Steam Punk versions of Star Wars characters or Steam Punk modded laptops.

By sheer coincidence, I had also read the book called "The Difference Engine" (I believe that's the name of it) several years ago. A kind of early 20th century mainframe-computers-powered-by-steam motif.

To me it's sort of relaxing and mildly stimulating at the same time. It's a fun concept; but I'm not exactly a passionate fan....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
i love steam punk... Mostly because if u type in "Steampunk babe"... uFFF u get some nice pics!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
My husband loves it! Can you list a few suggested movies in the genre that would be good to see.
THANKS!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I am really tired of hearing that word
I have heard to much lately...

I am looking forward to the game Dishonored though.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The first time I came across Steampunk, was before the term had even been invented, via the TV show "The Wild, Wild West." I just loved Dr Loveless and his wonderful inventions.

Dieselpunk is cool too.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yeah, I've been a fan of the aesthetics of "Steampunk" for quite some time. The Victorian-esque fashion is appealing to many within the "goth/punk/metal" scenes, plus the innovation of the Industrial Revolution creates an entire genre of film, fashion, literature, etc.

I also credit the Ravenloft campaign setting for D&D for really opening wide the horror aspect to "Steampunk" as well as horror classics in film and literature.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
My husband loves it! Can you list a few suggested movies in the genre that would be good to see.
THANKS!

The Sherlock Holmes movies are decent, as well as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Those are of course more recent films, Also, Back to the Future 3.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yup! I've been a fan of the Steampunk movement for a few years now.

I stumbled upon the style while researching ideas for a Halloween costume of mine - which consisted of a leather hood and mask, goggles and a respirator with a breathing tube at the end.

Surprisingly, at the time when I was working at the Getty Center in Brentwood/Los Angeles, they had an exhibit for employees only; in which the display poster caught my eye with the dark, Jules Vernesque look about it.

Then around the same time (2010 or so), I went to a (Prog Rock band) Rush concert - only to see that their entire set had been designed with the Steampunk look; drums, amps and stage props were all Steampunk'd out - it was a cool synchronicity for me.

I've always dug the old Victorian homes scattered around L.A. and I've always been a fan of the whole Jack the Ripper, turn-of-the-century vaudevillian posters and advertisements and anatomy artwork --- it would make sense to me to appreciate the whole style of it all.

Some of these cats live and breathe the whole Steampunk movement --- that to me is equivalent to the Hipsters and the 50s Rockabilly movement to name a couple --- it's a lifestyle to these people; they live and breathe that culture - I just appreciate the art of it all... it's great stuff!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Back to the Future 3.

Thanks. Yeah, we own both of those.
I was hoping to see some more obscure titles that we may not have heard of, like "Iron Sky" - We haven't seen it, but he was wondering.

CX

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

THANKS!

I would say "The City Of Lost Childen" definitely comes under this genre, of course Mad Max probably would too.

The book "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman would i think too.

The film "Hugo" maybe?

There are a lot mentioned in the Wiki link in my above OP.

CX.
edit on 28/9/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Thanks! Looks interesting. (not to me, but to him.)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

reply to post by CX

Thanks! Looks interesting. (not to me, but to him.)

Yo' B H. 'Sappinnan?

Steampunk cover = great song...

CJ
edit on 29-9-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I love steam punk, I have been in love with steam punk before I ever knew it had a name. Be it books, movies, clothing, whatever.
If I could afford it, I would buy a victorian style home and completely retrofit it in a steam-punk style. There are websites that have steam punk style computers and other electronic gadgets. This has been my dream since I was a kid.

new topics

top topics

join