It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Strong Earthquakes Shake Japan and Taiwan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Taiwan and Japan were both the recipient of strong earthquakes today. Taiwan experienced a 7.0 during lunchtime that lasted up to a minute in the city of Taipei. Subways stopped, stranding thousands of commuters, and Taipei 101, the world's tallest skyscraper, lost power for a brief time. Japan also experienced a large earthquake which registered as a 6.0 on the Richter scale. No loss of life has been reported in either quake.

Associated Press - Strong Earthquake Shakes Taiwan

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) - A strong earthquake shook Taiwan on Friday, forcing the Taipei subway system to shut down during the lunchtime rush. No serious damage or injuries were immediately reported. The tremor gently rocked buildings for about one minute and was felt on Japan's southern coast. On the city's streets, the quake caused sidewalks to shake slightly.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This was the largest earthquake to hit Taiwan since the 7.6 quake in 1999 that killed over 2,300 people and damaged over 50,000 buildings. Experts say that Taiwan could experience some aftershocks in the next few days. At Japan, the earthquake was considered deep enough to not warrant a Tsunami watch.

Additional Sources:
scotsman.com - Japan Shaken by Strong Offshore Earthquake
RTE news - Several injured as earthquake hits Taiwan

Related ATS Discussions:
New Method May Reliably Predict Earthquakes

[edit on 15-10-2004 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
dbates,
thanks for this info...good find.
It'll be days before the "other" media will pick up on this. Once again, ATS breaks news in this country.
*tsk, tsk* like there is no news besides Bush/Kerry and O'Reilly

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This is getting a bit ridiculous, all these large earthquakes around the world, it seems like climate changes are beginning.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hi,

I look at several things happening at once:

1. Mt. St. Helens erupting with earthquakes
2. 6.9 earthquake in California's central valley
3. Volcano Colima in Mexico city erupting
4. 6.9 earthquake in Solomon Islands
5. 7.0 earthquake in Japan and Taiwan
6. Recent large earthquake in the pacific ocean off central america.
7. Smaller earthquakes in the aleutian islands.

I am probably missing a few points, but it looks like the tectonic plate
that forms the "ring of fire" is about to have a major slip in the next couple of years. The earthquakes that will happen when it does make the current ones look very small. All of these recent events are around this one plate.
This puts most of the West Coast of the US in major danger.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by managerie

I look at several things happening at once:

1. Mt. St. Helens erupting with earthquakes
2. 6.9 earthquake in California's central valley
3. Volcano Colima in Mexico city erupting
4. 6.9 earthquake in Solomon Islands
5. 7.0 earthquake in Japan and Taiwan
6. Recent large earthquake in the pacific ocean off central america.
7. Smaller earthquakes in the aleutian islands.

I am probably missing a few points, but it looks like the tectonic plate
that forms the "ring of fire" is about to have a major slip in the next couple of years. The earthquakes that will happen when it does make the current ones look very small. All of these recent events are around this one plate.
This puts most of the West Coast of the US in major danger.

I have been watching these events as well. As to missing points, there is the fairly recent activity in the volcano Mt. Spur in Alaska. Its melted the ice in the glacier and the face of the mountain is now a pit in the ice. There are also eartquakes registering on PNSN that don't seem to be associated with Mt. St Helens. Also, some activity at Yellowstone and Hawaii. I'm sure I've missed a few points as well.

This activity has been dismissed for the most part as "just another of the mama's cycles". I wonder how many catastropic events have happened in the history of the world that were "just another of the earth's cycles."

top topics

join