It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Corinthians 13

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

You're not nitpicking. You can throw scripture at me all day but your definition of fear is off. It's about revering Yahweh. Was Adam unwise before he fell when he would run to God without fear, but with the love of a child excited to see his friend? Certainly not. Fear didn't creep into him until he fell and gained knowledge of what he had done and the price he'd have to pay and in return Yahweh gave him faith to combat that fear which is what the "clothing" made from skins was about, it is a metaphor for giving Adam a temporary righteousness until the Savior could come and fix Adam's mistake. Nakedness in bibical terms is a reference to unrighteousness, God made Adam spiritual "clothing" to cover his nakedness in the form of faith and adhering to God's commands. Reverence of the Lord is to love him, respect him and be in awe of the strength of his greatness and glory. He wants your love, will you give him fear instead? The children running to Jesus knew who he was and they ran to him without fear but with joy.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by stupid girl

A 'person' is born when the seeming separation happens. That 'person' dies when it is realized there is no such separation. Life continues. There is real no death because there was no real birth of a physical person, it was just a misunderstanding. A 'person' is a dreamt up idea.
edit on 15-9-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

That sounds nice.
But I disagree.
The Truth is usually not so warm and fuzzy.
I had to learn that the hard way, after my time wasted in the New Agey, kum-bah-yah frame of mind. Now I see it for the smoke and mirrors and clever forgery that it is.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Ah lonewolf, sorry to nitpick.

Do you know why the children ran to him? Because they could see who he was and they were not afraid, they ran to his Voice the way A'dama once did, full of love and without fear. This is how Yeshua wants us to run to him, the way children run to a parent they haven't seen in a while. Through the eyes of a child is the key, and through the eyes of children shall we See.

Proverbs 9:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Psalms 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

Fear is the beginning of wisdom. Fear is what brings you to repentance. Fear the one that can kill the body and the soul. We all fall short and deserve death. It is fear of the unknown and our failures that cause us to fear our father's just punishment.

If we repent out of fear and love our father will forgive us. This forgiveness comes with a promise the gift of the Holy Spirit. Once baptized by Christ with the Holy Spirit we can begin to learn how to be like him. It is the Holy Spirit that teaches us and guides us to the truth. Only the Holy Spirit can leads us down the narrow path and teach us how to love our neighbor. Without the guidance of the Holy Spirit ones understanding of love, and ability to love, falls woefully short.

Since we come to repentance out of fear, fear is the beginning of wisdom. For without truly repenting, and the father knows your heart, one cannot receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and be transformed into something that is Christ-like.

It is easy to say Jesus died for our sins now believe and go to heaven, but this is not what Jesus said. He said repent and sin no more. There are numerous quotes in the New Testament that refer to how someone who has received the baptism of Christ should act. It quite simply says that you can know if someone has the spirit and is with the spirit by their fruit. If someone has received the spirit they will stop sinning and they will love everyone as a brother. Anyone who continues to sin and does not love his brother has not received this gift from the father.

This does not mean that the believer won't make mistakes, but they will not continue to willfully disobey the father and commit sin. Out of ignorance, the believer may still do things that are considered sinful but these things are done in ignorance and not out of a willful desire to sin.

To answer your question. How do you become a man/woman? Repent and turn to the Holy Spirit for guidance. The mature man/woman is someone who understands how to love everyone as a brother, and teaches others to do the same.

Here are some questions to ponder.

Does today's modern Christian, or people who claim to be Christian, resemble Christ? Do they give to those in need, or do they live in excess while others in the world live in poverty? A mature man/woman would work hard and give his excess to anyone in need.

How many church leaders live a lifestyle far above many of their congregation? Jesus instructed believers to serve, not to be served. Jesus said sell all you have and follow me. I would argue that any church leader who does not live at or near the poverty line in the USA is not a mature man/woman. They love themselves more than they love their brother.

If your biological brother was in need you would give him the shirt off you back. We must learn to love everyone as though they are this important to us. Only then can we call ourselves mature men/women. I do not imagine that I have perfected this, but I do continue to seek the will of the father and the wisdom brought to me by the Holy Spirit.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

How did you learn the hard way that death is real? Can you honestly tell me you are dead? Have you experienced being dead?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl

reply to post by NOTurTypical

The truth is there is no death.

Not so.
There is and will be a second death for those who choose it.

Thinking contrary to that Truth may offer you comfort, but accountability still stands. There will be a day of reckoning for everyone, and destruction for those who have chosen death over life.

Our concept of physics means nothing to He Who exists outside of the confines of His creation.

What is the second death? Jesus refers to those who live in darkness as being dead. So what exactly is the first death and second death? Is sin the first death? All who sin our dead.

Just some questions to think about.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

The first death is the separation of the soul and spirit from the body. The second death is the separation of the soul and spirit.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

The first death is the separation of the soul and spirit from the body. The second death is the separation of the soul and spirit.

Ok, 2 questions for you?

Have you experienced the first death? Have you been raised to life with the guarantee that you will not taste death?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Fear is the beginning of wisdom. Fear is what brings you to repentance. Fear the one that can kill the body and the soul. We all fall short and deserve death. It is fear of the unknown and our failures that cause us to fear our father's just punishment

Fear didn't bring me to Christ, sorrow for the things i had done is what started my journey, i felt a call to repent and turn back from the road i was on, not fear of any everlasting punishment. The desire for redemption is a powerful desire. When you've done something so horrible that you wish to die, and you suffer in anguish over it and find no peace, then you will know what i felt. Even then the memories are still there and i still suffer, even though i am sorry for it, there's just some things you cannot undo.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25

Originally posted by stupid girl

reply to post by NOTurTypical

The truth is there is no death.

Not so.
There is and will be a second death for those who choose it.

Thinking contrary to that Truth may offer you comfort, but accountability still stands. There will be a day of reckoning for everyone, and destruction for those who have chosen death over life.

Our concept of physics means nothing to He Who exists outside of the confines of His creation.

What is the second death? Jesus refers to those who live in darkness as being dead. So what exactly is the first death and second death? Is sin the first death? All who sin our dead.

Just some questions to think about.

The Bible uses the term "death" both metaphorically and literally, as an adjective and as a verb.
What Jesus said holds true, those who live in darkness are dead in many ways.

As far as first and second deaths spoken of in the Bible, I believe that they are literal. The first actual, literal death that we experience as an individual, sentient being is the death of our physical bodies, our flesh, when our spirit/soul separates from this vessel in this plane of existence, the earthly/physical domain.

The second death is the death of the spirit/soul, which is to take place after the Great Throne Judgment of all whom have ever existed. Those whom have chosen death, will be obliged. Those whom have chosen life, will remain.

There are many references in the Bible to the second death of the wicked which allude to the possible interpretation/understanding that they will simply cease to exist. I believe several of the references simply state that "they are no more" or "they are no longer".

But as with anything that requires spiritual discernment to truly understand, it is a mystery until that time of discernment.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

How did you learn the hard way that death is real? Can you honestly tell me you are dead? Have you experienced being dead?

I'm sorry, I believe you misunderstood my intent.

I learned the hard way that the Truth usually isn't warm and fuzzy. Typically, when individuals are faced with real Truths, it is usually way outside of their comfort zone.
Real Truth tends to initially make us uncomfortable, until we grow in humbleness and wane in pride.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join