It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a great idea about marriage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It would perhaps require a reprogramming of values among society, but in the end I think it could work and be so much smoother than the system we have today.

In the future, let's declare that marriage be as irrelevant to the government as what you select for lunch from your fridge. It shall be a personal thing, a mere matter of two people considering themselves married... nothing more complicated than that. Include a nice ceremony if you wish, religious or not-- It shall be of no legal consequence.

Now that we can marry anyone we wish-- of course, I hope the public will have the good sense to keep it between consenting adults-- what about the legal benefits attached to the government-controlled "marriages" we have now? Well, I propose that two humans be registered together in a mutual partnership, which include all of the current caretaking privileges and stuff. And the two people don't even have to be married or even in a romantic relationship in order to obtain it! I do think that at least one of the partners should be financially stable as a possible requirement, though.

So, what do you think?
edit on 8-9-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I am not totally opposed to this personally, but why change things?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think it would be awesome... right up until a long term couple decided to part ways and both got greedy on their way out of the door. With no legal contract or courts to decide the disposition of property it would leave couples with only violence or intimidation as a means of separating functionally.

Marriage is a legal contract. All the hoopla about gays getting married, etc is just religion trying to impose itself upon law.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have an Idea too - How about people mind their own business and worry more about their own lives. I don't care who you marry so why should you care who I marry. Too many of the worlds problems can be traced back to somebody else trying to control how somebody else lives.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Anyone or Anything?

Man marries pillow

Edit to add:

What IS THAT on the pillow?
edit on 8-9-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Most licences that people get for things like driving a car, or having a gun, or watching a tv, all have an expiry date.

So I don't know why a marriage licence should be for life.

When you get married you ask for a 1 years, or a 5 year, or if your really sure go for a 10 year licence.

But whatever one you sign up for you know it has an expiry date.

If at the end of the expiry of the licence you can still stand your partner by all means sign up for another one.

But otherwise you can just walk away a single person.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I do see nothing wrong with legal contracts between anyone who decides to have one. I say that whether they want to decide themselves married along with it is their business and no one else's.

I'm not really sure what I'm proposing. That the government remove the label of marriage from the contract? Hmm.
Kind of whacks off the sentimental value, eh?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I foresee a new form of business partnership.
~~~~~~~

And, indeed, what IS that pillow? The link says it has a face on it.

I've heard of people marrying anime characters. Fascinating.
edit on 8-9-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

What I really want to know is who's going to stand up for the rights of the pillow when that relationship goes south?! Surely it's not of sound mind and body for any terms here, and will no doubt get walked (or laid on) all over when things sour.

Does anyone how power of attorney? I can't see the legal system allowing such a one-sided situation...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Islam (one branch, anyway) has exactly that system available. I can't say I agree with it personally as I believe in life-long monogamous commitment, but I can see the benefits for others who don't share my spiritual beliefs.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
good idea... though there would be alot of upset politicians and priest as theyd lose a lucrative source of income they extort in fees for people to get married..

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
There would also have to be something in place to keep little kids safe from being taken advantage of by adults, where the free marriage thing is concerned. The last thing I'd want to see is Little Crystal's name listed on the dinner roster as Uncle Joe's wife. People will always find a way to pervert things. -_-

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I have a good idea too. Lets ban divorce. For any reason. If religious people feel that the sanctity of marriage needs protecting to the point of lunacy make divorce a capital offence. As well as adultery. See how quick they would allow gay's to get married! They don't need gay people to get married to make a mockery of the institution. They do a fine enough job themselves!!!

It's like George Orwell wrote. All pigs are equal.....some are more equal than others...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Most licences that people get for things like driving a car, or having a gun, or watching a tv, all have an expiry date.

So I don't know why a marriage licence should be for life.

When you get married you ask for a 1 years, or a 5 year, or if your really sure go for a 10 year licence.

But whatever one you sign up for you know it has an expiry date.

If at the end of the expiry of the licence you can still stand your partner by all means sign up for another one.

But otherwise you can just walk away a single person.

Did you propose this idea here on ATS before?

I know I've read this idea here before, not sure if you were the one that brought it up, but I really liked this idea before, and I really like this idea now!

It's perfect! It's easy for people to stay together even if they don't really like each other, simply because they are already married and it's more difficult to get a divorce than just stay together and be unhappy.

But if your marriage just naturally expired after a certain number of years, after 10 years or so, and you two don't really love each other any more, it's super easy. Just be like "yeah, I don't think we should get married again" and viola! No longer married!

I think it would be great. There would be less unhappy couples, because they would just by default get a divorce after a certain number of years.

I think prenups should be required for every marriage. The easiest is a 50/50 split. Either both parties decide on what to split up, and if they can't decide, stuff gets sold and each person gets half the money. Clean break.

If kids are involved that makes things more difficult though. Many times it's actually worse for the kids for their parents to stay together and be miserable than it would be for them to break up and be more happy, though.

If you ever manage to get the marriage expiration date into law, you can count on my vote and/or signature! I love this idea!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I have a great idea....

how about marriage counselling BEFORE you decide to get married

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Have you not seen fights over legal contracts before? With the contracts, the greed just gets to be poured into a lawyer's coffers.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

The idea has been in my head for a long time but I have never written it down before. This thread seemed appropriate so I spat it out.

Glad you liked it. I cant see it ever happening though, just like lots of my great ideas
far too sensible.

Can I just say that I have been married to the same lady since 1981, and we lived together from 1976 before getting married. Sure we have had our up's and down's but overall it's been a good marriage and I wouldn't change her for anyone. I guess I'm just a lucky guy but I do know of many many bad relationships. Some things money just can't buy.

new topics

top topics

join