It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacking countries with robotic soldiers. Is it ethical

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
After reading up on an Infowars article about robots that can travel at speeds above 28mph on their feet, I came across additional information that the Pentagon in 2008 had requested that a company build humanoid robots for the use of quelling dissent from "Non-Compliant" humans.

This brings to mind the ethics behind using such "killing machines" in order to invade another country or to kill violent protesters in our own country here in America. Is this Ethical? It would save lives. But in return, your litterally running human beings through a meat grinder. Not much unlike the Pink Floyd video, The Wall. Which just seems wrong and disgusting to me. As well as cowardly.

Here's the article, please read it in full. I would love to know your thoughts in either support or against concerning the ethics of using autonomous machines to kill people.

www.infowars.com...
edit on 9/6/1212 by foodstamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Tis better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt

LOL! Amusing what with the lack of content at this time in the OP.

I think it's just as ethical as any other instrument of war. I suppose if the things had some advanced AI we couldn't really control then I would think it less ethical.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Your title makes me think of Imperial Stormtroopers. and since your post is currently blank, I really just want to watch Star Wars now.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
No it's pretty sick actually.

Just imagine sitting there at home on your comp or out in the yard watering the flowers...

And an army of terminator robots descend upon you destroying everything without any discretion or compassion or empathy at all.

That will put the holocaust to shame.

Imagine it being a worldwide event.
Talk about creating a WMD that can easily get outta control....

link   
I take it this was an "oops" - but, in the end, do we think the world will be inhabited by humans - or machines. From everything I've read, the machines will win...we're screwed...so drink the good wine first.

link   
OP, it's a good question.

Although I DO suggest putting some content into your post, otherwise the mods won't be too happy.

--

For the topic. I'd hate to see robots being used. But we're pretty close already with drones and bomb disposal bots and such.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Are we talking about drones?

Drone Club

The first rule of Fight Club?

You don’t talk about Fight Club.

Obama isn’t a member of Fight Club; he’s a member of Drone Club — which targets individuals in foreign lands, including American citizens and their families, for extrajudicial assassination by drone. And the first rule of Drone Club?

You don’t talk about it.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
After reading up on an Infowars article about robots that can travel at speeds above 28mph on their feet, I came across additional information that the Pentagon in 2008 had requested that a company build humanoid robots for the use of quelling dissent from "Non-Compliant" humans.

This brings to mind the ethics behind using such "killing machines" in order to invade another country or to kill violent protesters in our own country here in America. Is this Ethical? It would save lives. But in return, your litterally running human beings through a meat grinder. Not much unlike the Pink Floyd video, The Wall. Which just seems wrong and disgusting to me. As well as cowardly.

Here's the article, please read it in full. I would love to know your thoughts in either support or against concerning the ethics of using autonomous machines to kill people.

www.infowars.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I think it is.
IF the future is about sending a company of robots into fight.. then yeah ok, lets do it.

pro's

1. No mental anguish for soldiers
2. Robots can be controlled
3. RAPE doesnt exist
4. No loss of life

Con's

1. War would be more easily fought
2. War will be won by economic ability

You then move onto the next idea..

robot war arenas..

two nations square off.. they suggest a battlefield ... IE Sahara desert.
send in their armies..
last army standing wins.

... ok im going to play mechwarrior!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I hit enter and skipped the content part. Can I go back and edit?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Tis better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt

LOL! Amusing what with the lack of content at this time in the OP.

I think it's just as ethical as any other instrument of war. I suppose if the things had some advanced AI we couldn't really control then I would think it less ethical.

The AI doesn't really have to be that advanced.
Advanced AI far off into the future is more along the lines of having a "human like intelligence" to communicate with.

For a war machine you could have very basic and simple AI functions.
Targeting and sensory systems + engagement protocol.

Of course dumb robots are easier to defeat than smart ones, but dumb robots can be a real challenge when we don't have the type of weaponry needed to punch through their shielding. We would probably need high powered explosives to defeat them.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

facepalm

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Yes you can. I do it all the time because I get a little trigger happy before reading over what I've (poorly) written.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well,, As you guys can see I screwed this thread up. I did re write it though under "Invasion of the robots!" thread. I'd love your comments cut and pasted there if you feel like doing so.. I'm getting great comments!!! Thanks guys..

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
All war is unethical as it does not discriminate against who gets hurt , maimed or killed.

Women and children and other innocent civilians suffer no matter if the bombs are dropped by the good guys or the bad guys or by drones or air force pilots.

The only sane and viable solution to this is obvious. End the wars. All wars. No exceptions.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
General:

Robotic Soldiers will save the lives of men and women in our Forces.
The blood of the nation, your family.
Defeating the enemy with any means necessary is vital to the security of the nation.
Are you willing to sacrifice your people for periodic ethical practices when the enemy will have none?

Peaceful Hippy:

If we can find peace within ourselves, we can find peace in each other.
War could not exist leading to a co-existance with all races and robots alike, rather than manipulation of.
A re-birth of community amongst all peoples, sharing our common interests while maintaining the unique.

Me:

I believe we need to stop the world for a moment.
Every single person needs to be brought into the conversation about what it is exactly we are doing here.
What is it you want or need so badly that robotic soldiers are warranted for war?

We have enough for everyone. Water, food, shelter, entertainment. The WORLD.
What do you need war for?

The Psyche of the populations has been infiltrated by a loose transparent omnipotent entity.
And that is money. And the people who have it. or something like that

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

go to your opening post and click edit, post what you want there

(or get an admin / mod to change it for you?)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Thanks Midnite, I should've known that. Heh

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite

facepalm

top topics

join