It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low Budget & Low Tech Home Security/Defense tactic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Agreed. A simple door wedge would really slow down an intruder if they weren't expecting it. They could certainly get past it, but its an easy way to buy a few more seconds. And windows? Yeah, if the S has already HTF, just board them up. One other thing you could do? Plant thorn bushes under your windows. Won't stop them, but it will slow them down.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
My redneck house alarm is pretty low tech not so much low budget. I have six dogs and if a bird flies over the yard they raise 19 kinds of he!!.

You cannot sneak up on my house.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If you shoot a machine gun into a house they've proven that often there's enough sparks and things to cause the house to catch on fire. So that's one problem

The other problem is that with no fire department cities would turn into fire storms on there own, that's another problem.

So even if you lived in the country unless you have a man watching with a rifle in all directions 24/7 the moroders could just throw a torch or molotov cocktail at your house and you'd be screwed.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXTriker
My redneck house alarm is pretty low tech not so much low budget. I have six dogs and if a bird flies over the yard they raise 19 kinds of he!!.

You cannot sneak up on my house.

Same here - I have two cattle dogs outside(they can come and go as they please via the dog door but stay outside mostly) and my wife has two ankle biters inside.

Add to that we have geese - geese are the best at alerting me to arriving cars actually. They honk and honk. Also at night they react to any predators in the same manner. The dogs now have taken to acting like a QRF for the geese (not that they need it) when they get riled up the dogs shoot out the door to see what is up. Latter if any is left I'll find raccoon, possum, and even a dead coyote every once in a while.

However, to the OP - as a career Soldier and former Special Forces Engineer Sergeant (mines and demo) remember Murphy always.

Never make it so hard for someone to get in that you can't get out.

On a serious note if your perimeter security starts at the front doors, windows and other entry points it's already too late. You need a large enough perimeter to give you (or your team) time to arm and prepare to repel.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

4 of mine can come & go as they wish during the day. At night they come in. The fifth one wouldn't be much help as he is very old and deaf/blind but I love him dearly. The other is an ankle biter inside but very vocal. She stays in the kitchen area and my bedroom is on the complete opposite end of the house (at least a hundred feet and closed doors)and she can wake me up. Protection kept in almost every room so it is close at hand.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I would say use copper wire, and the same config. Then run some current to the wire, with a simple switch to each area of the house. That is assuming there is power. I have had a set up like this before, its easy if you live alone to remember, but if not, I dont recommend it.

Seeing some scum fry in your spider web is quit satisfying however.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXTriker
The fifth one wouldn't be much help as he is very old and deaf/blind but I love him dearly.

I understand this very much. I carried an old friend of mine up and down the stairs for the last year of her life as she slept on the bed but could no longer climb the stairs. Even when she had trouble with the stairs she could still go about her business around the house.

She eventually succumbed to adrenal cancer - I could tell when it was time. She was tired and ready to go. 15 years is a long time to love a thing and let it go and I know it sounds cheesy but I could tell when she was done if you know what I mean.

She was deathly afraid of a trip to the vet and I desperately didn’t want her last memories to be of that so I looked and looked.... When I found out about the adrenal cancer I was able to give her shots for a while and she maintained her same quality of life. In the end I was able to find a vet (a very expensive one at that) to come to the house and put her down laying beside me in the bed we shared for longer than the one I shared with a wife until that time. Actually, truth be told I had the one dog and three wives in those 15 years

Some thought I kept her too long - my wife thinks not long enough but I had her before the wife so she got no vote when the time came (we all know that was a lie stated purely for ego purposes :wink: ) my wife was the one to convince me to let her go. Hard thing to do.

The unconditional love of a pet is something unexplainable to those who don't have any.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Do not stay in the house. Use it as a decoy and turn it into a kill zone.

Use prickly pear cactus, blackberry bush/canes, and osage orange as means of natural defense/ barbwire...very effective. Set up to channel intruders into the kill zones and as intricate maze like layers to delay, isolate, and trap the invaders.

Set up markers along kill zone with distances marked off at 30-50-70-100 yards... maybe color coded.

Camoflage or hide your home, bunker, shelter or entrance in a shed or outbuilding or into a bank, ravine wall, gulley.

The black berries and osage orange actually produce feed for small livestock..ie goats and also people.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

im with ya on your house being a decoy. one of my ideas is to make the house all ready look looted, break out some windows ,doors kicked in , fecal matter on the floors and a nice strong piss smell , this should deter most looters and if not they can spend some time cleaning the shat off the bottom of their shoes, while me and the old lady are safe and secure in our little invisi-home.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I understand. My old boy is around 15 now. But he still eats good and occasionally runs like he used to. His litter mate is gone now about 6 months from cancer. He and the other dog I had at the time got me through some very rough times when I got a divorce. His "sister" is on my mantle and I will do my best to have him there too even though times are tough now. They meant so much to me during that time and I'm not sure how I would have fared without them.

Yes you do know when the time comes but it isn't yet for him. We have a holistic vet in our area and I may contact them when the time comes.

Even though he came after the dogs, my new husband is just as attached as I am. What would we do without our critters?

Sorry to be off topic-will cease now.
edit on 9/11/2012 by TXTriker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join