It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

south coast of britain sinking?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 3Dplus

G,day mate. read this with interest and a bit of a smile. You see, i have a Scottish/English family tree Yeah, i know. We all have personal problems. Now, the scot in me can see those canny scots saying. We can make a quid here by selling cakes of soap and flotation devices to the poms. The pom in me says. But where will we play cricket, while the aussie in me says. HOW LONG CAN YOU BUGGERS TREAD WATER?. Anyway good thread mate.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 3Dplus

Amazing, your article reminded me of this one,
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Thanks all, some really good links and thought provoking posts and an odd sense of humor amongst some o you people. Like I said in my OP: no doomsday, no alarm, just a "I never knew that". I'm not originally from Britain, so I was a bit worried that it may be general knowledge, but talking to some folks here, I am amazed how few people realise we're sitting on a massive see-saw. Lucky us.....wwwwhhheeeeee!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I heard from a credible source that England is actually a reptilian spaceship and will set of into space at the end of 2012. We are currently starting the launching sequence! Seriously though if we are going down then at least let us perish in more tropical waters.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09

Originally posted by FanarFanar

Originally posted by AgentX09

OK.On the count of 3 will everyone in the south be kind enough to start running north so we can balance this out?

Have you see the Scottish diet? Obesity will balance this problem out.
Are they the folks that eat hagis?I get queasy just thinking of it!

If you think eating them is bad, you wan't to try catching one of the buggers.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Hey there and welcome to ATS ... and you brought such an interesting first thread to us ... this interests me for many reasons;

1/ I love geology and obviously this is of geological intrigue.

2/ I currently live in North Yorkshire where the land level remains constant it would seem.

3/ I have friends who live on the Isle of Skye and I plant to move up there in the next few years.

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention I for one found it fascinating

Woody

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

o you had better learn to do some serious drinking & like boredom slow internet & no phone signal i am from the highlands and could not stay on skye try a winters day ?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
You cant get any further south than I am and I can assure you we're NOT sinking.

Mind you there's a very real risk we'll all drown in the tide of BS that comes from the governemnt these days.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I thought things seemed a little "tilt-y" because I'd had one pint too many.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 3Dplus

Ive read all the post and responsies and i say quite an eyeopener.
Im from Manchestore(Maanchester,thats how the young ns pronounce it nowadays.
Good news for us here though.On the 1 hand we wont get short of breath and on the
other we wont have to develope webbed feet.

edit on 5-9-2012 by edged1 because: Spelling is cock a hoop

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
You cant get any further south than I am and I can assure you we're NOT sinking.

Mind you there's a very real risk we'll all drown in the tide of BS that comes from the governemnt these days.

Oh yes you are, well if you are in the south east anyway. You just won't be underwater for a very very long time (likely to be in the millions of years but may be shorter).

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
I thought it was the sheer weight of the ice shelf that rested over Scotland during the ice age, forcing the north down. Then when that melted, a seesaw action was created, so the south is now going down.

That's what I thought anyway.
edit on 4-9-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

I watched a TV program many years ago about that, your comment is what was stated in the program.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
reply to post by woodwytch

o you had better learn to do some serious drinking & like boredom slow internet & no phone signal i am from the highlands and could not stay on skye try a winters day ?

I have friends that live up there so I'm a pretty regular visitor (every chance I get) ... over the years I have been there at pretty much every time of year ... including winter ... and I love it ... it feels like my natural element. They say that Skye will either take you to her heart or spit you out ... so far she has always taken me to her heart ... because I accept that there has to be the storm to compliment the sunshine (as in life)

The very first time I went there I had planned to cross from the mainland to Skye by the Malaig ferry but there was a 'Force 10' gale blowing (literally) so there were no ferries running ... compromise was called for along with some quick thinking on my feet so I had to catch the train back to Fort William and from there the bus to Skye that takes you over the bridge at the Kyle of Lochalsh ... whole journey from my home on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors to my friends front door three parts the way up the island took just over 14hrs of public transport in $h!te weather ... and that didn't put me off in the slightest ... it is what it is.

Living in a rural area already slow internet and poor phone signals and not forgetting good old power-cuts are the 'norm' ... and it's only boring if you don't appreciate and respect your surroundings for what they are and can't stand your own company ... as a tea-totaller I may have to work on the serious drinking part ... other than that I'd be up there tomorrow with bells on ... already have the crofters cottage lined up overlooking Sheep Island in the Minch in one direction and McCleod's Tables in the other and an ancient Broch behind the cottage ... whatever the weather I don't mind waking-up to that every morning

Give me a basic rural lifestyle with no frills and fancies every day of the week ... living in a town or city with all the shops / pubs / hustle and bustle would be my idea of hell.

So with all that in mind all that remains to be said is ... 'tilt away Britain ... tilt away'.

Woody

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join