It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get on Welfare now! Get a free cell phone, free College education, free food, free medical, free hou

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

Not so in the dirty south my friend. I've seen it soooo many times down here. I'm in the grocery line with my few little items adding it up in my head to make sure I dont go over 20-30 bucks, whatever money I have with me. And there in front of me checking out is a black lady with her nails and hair did with a buggy full of meat. And it never fails they always pull out the blue card to pay and then push their buggy out to their escalade/explorer or whatever new SUV with the shiny rims and load up all their meat. You see it time and time again down here.

My dad used to sell insurance. I would ride along with him alot on his debit. Almost all of his customers were black. He would sometimes ask them why they keep having so many kids. The response was always the same. The more childrens I have the more money my check is!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Not trying to rub things in, but dam I'm glad I graduated with my bachelor's back in May. I'm glad I don't have to worry about this sh!t until my newborn daughter has to think about going to college. At least I have time to plan.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

Take what you have now education wise and learn techniques for managerial positions and take those skills and present yourself as if you already have that degree, an employer can tell the difference between someone just looking for work, and a good worker.

As long as you are confident, good at what you do, honest, and hard working, you can in fact do anything, and a degree does not stop that.

Peace, NRE.

Not only did I want to hear that, I needed to hear that. At least I'm not the only one who feels that way. I don't have any college degrees but my real world experiences have led me to being management material and everyone who knows me knows this. It gets frustrating because it just seems hard to get ahead on work ethic alone these days, and that frustration leads me to act like I don't take things seriously. I do, but I also see it all as an unnecessary uphill climb, so I do and say things (.....................) to help alleviate that frustration.

Now, the only thing is finding an employer who feels that way. Ironic as it might sound, an employer who is more apt to see things that way is an employer who looks at their bottom line first and see's how someone, provable education or not, can kelp that grow. That "impersonal" way of looking at things can, in fact, be a very personal way of looking at it all.

If you're in a company that has shareholders though, that's where things will get more inflexible. Let's just say that there will be a risk factor involved. A person with a degree will look like less of a risky proposition to the shareholders then someone with no degree. At least a lot of big companies have been like that in the past. Hopefully, they're wising up to the fact that you have to take everyone on a case by case basis and that having a degree for something doesn't make you automatically qualified to do a job. All it means, at it's core, is that you went through the accepted steps to get to the point where you're being seriously considered above other candidates for a job. And if there are welfare programs out there that can help you get a degree, that's a double edged sword. You night be able to get a degree to get a better job, but for all intents and purposes, that opportunity was handed to you.

The business savvy among us know that if you work for something, you're going to take it more seriously, have more appreciation for it and be very good at it, than if it were just handed to you. There are exceptions to that rule of course, but by and large that's the way things are.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I don't think I need to tell you Sarra, but a lot of people here are in your corner. It's your attitude. Again, I don't need to tell you, but that will help you a great deal.

It's not a persons circumstances but, rather, how they deal with them that defines them. You seem to have your cards stacked against you but you deal with them pretty well based on what you said. Keep it up.

And I hope your legalities see a quick end. I can relate.

You're from the midwest, right? You should be able to appreciate this:

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior

Not so in the dirty south my friend. I've seen it soooo many times down here. I'm in the grocery line with my few little items adding it up in my head to make sure I dont go over 20-30 bucks, whatever money I have with me. And there in front of me checking out is a black lady with her nails and hair did with a buggy full of meat. And it never fails they always pull out the blue card to pay and then push their buggy out to their escalade/explorer or whatever new SUV with the shiny rims and load up all their meat. You see it time and time again down here.

My dad used to sell insurance. I would ride along with him alot on his debit. Almost all of his customers were black. He would sometimes ask them why they keep having so many kids. The response was always the same. The more childrens I have the more money my check is!
I'm from the south my friend, and the people that your dad sold his insurance to, speaking in that stereotypical Aunt Jemimiah assed English, are from a less than desirable socio-economic class. I used to see insurance guys like your dad at my less fortunate friends' parents and grandparents, but that's not even the majority of black people. Like I said before and I'm saying now, the black face has always been on this issue...to reinforce instilled bigotry, and keep all of us at each other's throats.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

After reading that again I did sound a bit offensive and I apologize if I came off that way to you. You are right, and I should also add that there has not been one time in recent memory where I went to the grocery store and saw someone pay with cash. Its almost always the little blue card. By no means am I knocking it. Heck I'm on foodstamps myself as well as disability. I'm recovering from a bout with a horrible disease and i'm thankful its there so I can eat and pay the bills, but I'm willing to bet that alot of the folks here don't need it. Most of the people that I see who are using them look pretty physically fit to me. I live in Central La. and according to the last census, the area here is predominantly black with about 30 percent white and 5 percent latino. Racism is all over the place here but mainly with the younger generation of blacks and the older generation of whites.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

oh no you ditint

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You can still get free financial aid, even if you owe on loans. You won't get accepted if you don't apply yourself.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Many years ago, I remember getting letters from the financial aid folks saying they expected my parents would be able to chip-in for a good amount of my college education. I'd show these to my Dad, and he'd laugh. He had the money, but didn't contribute "one red cent" toward my college education. He said I wouldn't appreciate it if I had a free ride from him.

I worked in a steel mill during the Summer (earning $9/hour, which was great for the early-to-mid '80s), and in retail during the school year, grinding lenses for eye glasses. It took six years, but I graduated with two degrees: Journalism and Business Administration.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Blah blah blah, war on the poor, right wing hysteria, welfare, etc.

Deny ignorance.

Save your welfare bashing for the corporations that rape this country everyday.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior

After reading that again I did sound a bit offensive and I apologize if I came off that way to you. You are right, and I should also add that there has not been one time in recent memory where I went to the grocery store and saw someone pay with cash. Its almost always the little blue card. By no means am I knocking it. Heck I'm on foodstamps myself as well as disability. I'm recovering from a bout with a horrible disease and i'm thankful its there so I can eat and pay the bills, but I'm willing to bet that alot of the folks here don't need it. Most of the people that I see who are using them look pretty physically fit to me. I live in Central La. and according to the last census, the area here is predominantly black with about 30 percent white and 5 percent latino. Racism is all over the place here but mainly with the younger generation of blacks and the older generation of whites.
Apology accepted, and I really hope that your situation improves.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Gary, Indiana aka armpit of America... Get out!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

No offense, but paying for community college on loans was a bad decision. The other thing is that in order to qualify for more you have to enroll in a four year program. The caps are placed on the level of education you are pursuing. Once you finish your AA and transfer to a university, you should be eligible for more. This was put in place to prevent people from attending community college for years upon years, like they used to do.

I do agree that cutting off peoples loans midway into their schooling though is simply bad for this country. This might be an example of where government can really screw stuff up. A private bank would probably realize the potential of having you as a graduate rather then dropping out before your college is complete.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Poor people needs some eaducatn also. LoL

Dont hate the player hate the game!

Obama, Osama, politics are a control construct!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q33323
reply to post by spyder550

Many years ago, I remember getting letters from the financial aid folks saying they expected my parents would be able to chip-in for a good amount of my college education. I'd show these to my Dad, and he'd laugh. He had the money, but didn't contribute "one red cent" toward my college education. He said I wouldn't appreciate it if I had a free ride from him.

I worked in a steel mill during the Summer (earning $9/hour, which was great for the early-to-mid '80s), and in retail during the school year, grinding lenses for eye glasses. It took six years, but I graduated with two degrees: Journalism and Business Administration.

Well, guess who is going to pick his nursing home?

Good for you for sticking with it.

sad eyed lady

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by samlf3rd

O_o Im sorry who gets a free college education because they are from a 'bad' part of town?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I know many people who live in bad areas that get free college in Hammond Indiana. I am not asking for free education, I am simply asking for the opportunities those before me received. I am repaying my loans right now. I don't live in a bad part of town either.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Poor people needs some eaducatn also. LoL

Dont hate the player hate the game!

Obama, Osama, politics are a control construct!

I got you, I was venting and letting it all out. I wasn't judging anyone here, just making a point toward the structure of our society right now. We can no longer help other countries. We can't donate to the kids in Africa anymore. We are all broke I guess. But nothing is going to be worse for the American economy than a bunch of uneducated people. Because, I am not sure that the government has checked the numbers but you will never make a stable economy when this sh*t hits the fan. Wait until people have no technical skills and see what happens. There is now a food shortage, gas is skyrocketing, gold and silver are through the roof, everyone sold their gold and silver to pawn shops, and what is in the homes of every American? T.V.s, cell phones, tablets, and computers made in some other country. Why? Because it is cheaper to put a factory over there than here. We need some help quick. I think every person I know is broke-searching for a bed of money that has dried up long ago. The factories here are closed, you really have to know someone to get in-especially in any Union around Chicago things are slow for us all.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join