It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What causes terrorism?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Resistance to oppression is "terrorism."

Almost all cases of Middle Eastern terrorism have been a result of oppression. Terrorists are what we would call Rebels or Freedom Fighters if they are on our side.

As for real "terrorists," I think they could be defined as a psychopathic collective; people who want to cause harm for the sake of causing harm. The rest are just people trying to fight a self-righteous cause.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This does...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
First, it must be acknowledged that "terrorism" is entirely a subjective noun: one person's "terrorist" is another persons "freedom fighter." So in that sense, ALL "terrorism" is a fight for freedom for the other group and vice versa.

That said, "terrorism" is born whenever an existential threat mates with despair. Within that definition, we all have the potential to be terrorists as a simple function of being human. Yet, it is also a term with one purpose, to strip that same humanity from the target of the label and justify a course of action. Ergo, if one is labeled a "terrorist" all debate over cause and effect ceases, any action to deter that person is thus made to seem as just.
edit on 4-9-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

The terrorist freedom fighter analogy is rather cliche. In general, when analysing terrorism we can assume it is for political purposes, targeted at civilians and a threat to the current status quo (both national and international). Wether it is right or wrong is a values judgement we can all make on our own. The point here is to identify the causes in order to find realistic solutions.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think if you pressure people, take their lands and natural resorces,fight them, or insult their believes and intervene with their internal policies long enough and without discretion, then sooner or later some people of any red blooded clan will turn into terrorists!....no one not even the ones not in their so right minds want to blow themselves up just for the heck of it or blow a building just for fun!...let's be fair and square about that...If you are the enemy and you fight back using alternative ways,then you considered to be a terrorist.but if you are from us and do the same thing then you are a freedom fighter or some other fancy title.double standard at it's best,and it's completely natural but sadly unfair.....But in most cases terrorism and terrorists are just a fabricated tool helping bully powers to master and execute their plans.they have been using this method for ages.it just looks new scary and trendy to every generation one after another.and it works all the time.that's why it's so popular.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Terrorist is a word usually given by an Oppressive force to a Resistant Movement fighting against the Oppressors.

Control the Media, and you get to Label the sides from both sides of the Conflict.

Imagine how well it would go over if the New York Times had this Headline.

`US Forces met with Strong Resistance from Iraq Freedom Fighters`

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
In literal terms, "terrorism" is the use of fear to control the behavior of others. Be it fear of bodily harm, death, incarceration or enslavement. Fear of loss of possessions, wealth or status.

In those terms...terrorism is used by just about everyone. "You do what I tell you to do or else"...that is terrorism...

It also becomes the last bastion of the desperate who feel they have nothing left to lose.
edit on 4-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
I pose a legitimate open ended question for people of all perspectives to answer. What are the causes of terrorism? and why do terrorists pursue such actions?

Ask the CIA, pentagon, Central Banksters, World Bank, IMF, Wall Street, UN, NATO, et. al..

Basically, they commit terrorism to create terrorism (aka resistance). Occupation of foreign lands, murder/torture/rape/disrespect of the indigenous, the looting of anything of value.

Ask yourself how many resistance fighters have been created by mass murders of civilians via missile drones? Is that the true aim of this mass murder program -- to make more barely-armed and resource-poor enemies?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

terrorism is a tool of the state
and has been so since the days of Sodom and Gomorrah
if not earlier
don't be fooled by the religious claiming the sodomites were homo's

the sin of sodom was unhospitality or rather the refusal to live and let live
and the imposition of it's norms through terror and violence [using gang rape]
for a look at modern day sodomites operating in egypt see here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and then there are those labeled as terrorists by the real ones

edit on 4-9-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
What causes terrorism?

In the universal terrorism sense:

-first I would say a high degree of "unhealthy fear" or "paranoia in the masses

oddly enough "terrorism" is relative...Some people feel completely safe and at ease with police and armed government officials at every corner...Some people find that to be terrifying. This is another instance of one mans trash is another mans treasure...its "relativity" at work...

While some of you are afraid of rogue governments stripping your liberties and turning you into slaves or corpses...others are afraid of men in caves in deserts who are planning their next attack on "them"...

Terrorism is caused by being afraid....if you aren't afraid you aren't being terrorized are you?

Odd though that some would think the solution to terrorism is to make people MORE afraid of terrorists etc...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Define terrorism..?

In western society they are simply criminals if out side of this society its terrorism

My take, The angry little boy/girl who saw the UN tear to shreds their mother and father right in front of them via bombing the crap out of the area he lives. IF i was that little boy/girl I 2 would be very angry pissed off and would no doubt grow up to an adult with the same emotions and hatred toward the people that bombed my area, The smell of burning flesh stays with you FOREVER and when you see that and smell that smell from your own baby siblings and mother and farther i think that would cause someone to lead in to terrorism and seek revenge on the people that caused ones personal devastation, So growing up one would seek out the means to exact revenge.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
I pose a legitimate open ended question for people of all perspectives to anwer. What are the causes of terrorism? and why do terrorists pursue such actions?

This may relate to Islamic terrorism, terrorism in the middle east, international terrorism or any form of assymetrical warfare. The only reason I post it in this forum is because Salafist Islamic terrorism seems to be the most predominant and it continually dominates the headlines. Perhaps a discussion of the causes could lead to some creative and effective resolutions to terrorism. Fire away

What causes Terrorism?

Very good question.

Well, I think it comes down to this:

There is this thing called money.
Since they invented it there are those that collected the majority of it.
Money used to be backed by gold. This actually made things fair since most countries could mine for gold on their own and create wealth.

Then the gold was exchanged for invisible marks coming out of a centralized world bank.

Now, if you are a country that still has a private bank backed by gold, then you can't be "bought" or "had" or tricked into joining the world bank or "owned".

So, since all of the "real" wars have been fought and all we have left is this corporate war in a global corporate battle field where acquiring wealth through partnership can be accomplished easily with regime change.

Here's where the terrorist come in.
See, you can't have America attacking China or Russia and you can't have Russia or China attacking America or each other out in the open. Wars are a thing of the past, everything is too transparent now for that to really happen without diplomacy.
Sure we can invade countries like Iraq or Afghanistan, but full on war like it used to be between two powerful and great countries, those days are over.

So we create terrorists that "seem" to operate from some fringe of a certain culture but in actuality are aligned and funded by greater powers, ie countries.

Basically, If you are a country that still privately funds and backs your own bank then you are the next target to world domination and you can expect insurgents to uprise and cause a regime change.

Let's see, there are not that many countries left that have not joined the world bank and still have their own money backed by their own gold. Here are a few:

Libya

Iran

Cuba

Venezuela

North Korea

others? Syria?

Well, look what just happened to Libya, their gold is now gone and their bank is now over thanks to our "friends" in the Muslim Brotherhood. We can work with these guys see, no problem.

Terrorism is caused by the need to fight but not be seen fighting.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I think the use of Torture and lack of basic needs being met causes this! Usually, Terrorism is over Religion or Political Agenda. I think the most dangerous way to create a Terrorist is to take everything away from them..when this is done..what do they have to lose??

How do we stop this?? Talk to whomever from whatever country is having a problem with us! Do no Harm to anyone! Revenge is never ending..it has to stop somewhere!! Make up for whatever wrong was done.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

misuse of bosses from stupidity and Ignorance of some people.
how to prevent that ?
by boosting people awareness !
is that simple ?
no because we are witnessing governments supported terrorism throughout world. so it is not a simple terrorism !

edit on 5-9-2012 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This causes terrorism:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Quick and direct answer.

Power through Fear

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Outside of Islam , it is a mean to achieve goal.

Some westerner countries help terrorist groups to legitimize their invasions and wrong actions.

Or

To eliminate the resistant group which stands invasion and looting from inside.

Islamic ignorants , also known as fanatics use terrorism to get to heaven quickly.Other family members are also bribed with big big big money to support them for living.

But that blood money won't work for anybody.

edit on 6-9-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The Casus belli of terrorism or the Casus belli of George W. Bush’s so called “War on terrorism” are two different things, yet in the same instant to many they are two of the same, however your threads poses a subtly different question

What Causes Terrorism?

It is a difficult question to answer it depends on your perspective and in my personal view no one can ever provide you with an answer in a single thread or even in a single book anyone who does is a liar or ignorant. One has to first account for the ideological standing of the “terrorist”, are they acting in the ideological believe derived from a theological book such as Al-Qa’ida or are they fighting for the Independent sovereignty of their nation such as ETA. Then there are those groups who seek to change the very ideology governing their state, there are those who seek to use terrorism to fight for the rights of others such as anti-abortion and animal rights groups. Other “terrorists” may be “criminal terrorists” or they may serve a far-right agenda seeking to purify their nation others may be fighting for a historical injustice or for a combination of several reasons.

The key to understanding the cause of terrorism is to understand these ideologies in a historical context in combination with understanding of sociology and a pinch of psychology. The motivation for a man to blow himself up at an army check point or to take women and children hostage at gun point is deep and multifaceted it cannot be explained to the layman in a single book let alone found online, it takes years of study.

I know this is not the answer many would want but it is the truth.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join