It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New DARPA Weapon - Mesh Worm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Recently found this new "weapon" while looking up some other interesting projects DARPA has been working on. The Mesh Worm is made of mesh, with a coil of wire made up of nickel, and titanium, which can contract and extend when heated. The coil of wire is wrapped around the mesh, and then a current is sent through the wire, extending, and contracting in a way to move the long mesh tube as if it were a worm.

Im not real sure how this can be used as a weapon, but the video does say what it could be used for... Fitting through tight spaces, next generation endoscopes, and prosthetics. Although those are some reasonable uses, what are some reasonable uses to use it as a weapon? Any ideas?

edit on 31-8-2012 by A51TR3B because: Spell correction

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by A51TR3B

DARPA does not always develop weapons.

They even research footwear, clothing and medical devices, for which this may have its uses.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Remote bendable end for a camera could be of use to the military so they can peer around a corner so they can see whats to shoot at, but like alot of things it'll probably end up used 99% of the time to check for blockages in the toilets at military bases

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
One way would be a modern take on the Bangalore Torpedo, create long thin tubes that could move autonomously fit through tight spaces, or the earth, without having to be placed there by humans. Then exploding at a key time or position and taking out a target. With the wire acting as the locomotion this leaves a lot of space in the inside of that mesh for say something like C4 and there you have a exploding worm.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bphi1908

Or another way I just thought up, using it as an (IED) diffuser in countries where its needed most.
A way this would work is to put a camera, and some kind of digging tool on the worm, and go underground to where the IED is and diffuse it from there. Not sure If they already have something like this, but sounds like it could be useful.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by A51TR3B

That could pave the way for creating artificial muscles.
A very interesting invention.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I dont know about you guys, but i see a super soldier suit of mesh which is controlled by micro circuitry....
It will act as an exoskeleton for soldiers to lift heavy weapons or carry loads of super human weights etc....
maybe even a jump suit would be possible if the stuff unrolls faster with more current applied to it.....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I have been in the orthodontic industry for just shy of 20 years now. Nickel-Titanium alloy wires used in orthodontics has been around for some time now. The alloys we use are thermally activated where they are almost dead soft when cooled and become "active" or stiff at around normal body temperature. This allows for the orthodontist to place the wire more easily into the braces when the wire is cool and when the wire heats up, applies force to the braces to move the teeth.

Here is a wiki article on shape memory alloys:

Wiki Article

And on shape memory polymers:

Another Wiki Article

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Artificial muscles can be used for many things, new forms of prosthetics.
Good idea.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by A51TR3B

This will soon be used for Colon exams...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Just ran through this thread but no one mentioned about it's other use (official). It's not so much worms that spy or anything so wild. It's being researched as a way to create an exo-suit that has the same characteristics as the muscles on/in a human body. Form-fitted in micro strands, these will enable increased speed/strength for the test subject. It is lighter and more flexible than a metal exo-suit and if all goes well to be used for the Navy and Marine division as it's free-flowing form is useful under adverse conditions/environments. You ever want the 'skinny' on projects like these, let me know and I'll disclose what I can.
edit on 19-9-2012 by SoulVisions because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by A51TR3B

That's freakin freaky and a little obscene.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Hahaha, I couldn't help but laugh at the way this thing moves about. I think this will definitely have more of a civilian use than military. Someone mentioned artificial muscle tissue, and that seems to make the most sense. Pretty nifty little invention!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Come to think of it, there is a video game out there (I apologize a hundred times over for referencing something like this but..) that follows the same pattern. Crysis. Except what you don't see is that under the outer layer and "muscles" is a VERY complex grid of conductive wires and mesh (like that worn by athletes when exercising) to allow the wearer needed air. When a current is flowing around the skin for so long it has certain reactions, that unless buffered acts in a way that draws out oxygen (increased minimal heat) when there is movement continually. Thus breathability. Not so important with neoprene suits or scuba gear, however.

It must contact the skin, however to activate the sensors (pressure sensitive), that then alert the system to contract or expand a specific node.
edit on 19-9-2012 by SoulVisions because: (no reason given)

top topics

join