It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizen Khan - BBC mocks Islam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The BBC have mocked Islam in their new comedy series Citizen Khan.

en.wikipedia.org...

There have been 200 complaints.

uk.tv.yahoo.com...

One viewer wrote: “This is terrible stereotyping, ignorant and just dreadful,” while another added: “HIGHLY disappointed especially when her father walks in and she dis-respectfully opens the Koran!!” (sic)

Meanwhile on Twitter, @sayeedahassan1 said: “When will BBC stop with racial stereotyping? Re:citizen khan,” (sic) while @Saduf_I added: “Caked in makeup, a sleeveless top & tight clothes? A pathetic portrayal of a hijabi. The hijab defines modesty. This isn't it.”

Critics have not looked favourably on the new show, written by and starring British Muslim Adil Ray, with Arifa Akbar of the Independent saying: “Comedy doesn't have a duty to represent real people, but it does need to be funny, and while a family comedy requires a broad appeal, this is no reason to unspool recycled jokes that worked a treat 40 years ago.

“The whole show seemed like it was stuck in a 1970s time warp. If the BBC's billing of it as the channel's first British Muslim comedy series had intended to give it some edge, this first episode quickly dispelled the spin.”

One viewer wrote: “This is terrible stereotyping, ignorant and just dreadful,” while another added: “HIGHLY disappointed especially when her father walks in and she dis-respectfully opens the Koran!!” (sic)

Meanwhile on Twitter, @sayeedahassan1 said: “When will BBC stop with racial stereotyping? Re:citizen khan,” (sic) while @Saduf_I added: “Caked in makeup, a sleeveless top & tight clothes? A pathetic portrayal of a hijabi. The hijab defines modesty. This isn't it.”

Critics have not looked favourably on the new show, written by and starring British Muslim Adil Ray, with Arifa Akbar of the Independent saying: “Comedy doesn't have a duty to represent real people, but it does need to be funny, and while a family comedy requires a broad appeal, this is no reason to unspool recycled jokes that worked a treat 40 years ago.

“The whole show seemed like it was stuck in a 1970s time warp. If the BBC's billing of it as the channel's first British Muslim comedy series had intended to give it some edge, this first episode quickly dispelled the spin.”

The creator Adil Ray is Asian and so it is probably acceptable for him to mock Islam. What a mixed-up society we live in. I am sure if an Englishman created such a comedy programme he would be sublect to a life of misery by the Islamics.

www.adilray.com...

Maybe this is the way ahead for comedy - one can only make jokes about the group you are designated to be a meber of. Thanks Islam.
edit on 29-8-2012 by dr treg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

The creator and cast are muslim..And the show is mocking islam because the cute girl in it " is wearing make up! " yes thats one of the complaints about the show, the women are wearing make up...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Im sure I can find list of numerous TV shows and Movies that make fun of, or mock various other religions in some way.

Perhaps the time complaining about the "offense" that seems to be going on would be better spent developing a thicker skin.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
TV shows do this all the time.

The Cosby Show made it look like black people are wealthy.

The Jimmy Kimmel Show makes fun of Mexicans on a nightly basis.

The show Cops exploits poor white people.

I guess Muslim people are fair game too.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is just ridiculous.......As others have said, there are loads of shows; comedy has to mock something.....

Rab C Nesbitt - mocking Scots
Father Ted - catholics
Desmonds - black Londoners
Big Bang Theory - scientists
Mrs Browns Boys - Irish

I could go on and on......

I doubt the majority of muslims feel they are being mocked, as like other groups, the majority are reasonable human beings with a sense of fun and humour. I have seen the show and in no way do I think less or more of any group.

It really is a bad day when we take ourselves sooooooo seriously that we cannot laugh or see the funny side of life.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Its just not funny, it reminds me of the poor comedy shows of the 80s. Comedy has taken a massive nose dive in this country.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I personally object to it for no other reason other than it's crap - it didn't even raise one slight little s'n-word' or half laugh.
Complete and utter rubbish - it's crap like this that make me sympathise with those people who moan about paying the license fee.

Like all religions / groups etc surely there's enough in Islam to take the piss out of and make a quality comedy programme - if that offends people then good, good comedy should offend some people.

ETA.

You got to laugh at ATS auto censor - s'n-word' - I once mentioned S#horpe in a post and that got censored too - damn sight funnier than Citizen Khan!
edit on 14/8/13 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

top topics

join