It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8 Tells Microsoft About Everything You Install, Not Very Securely

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

I use XP and I note that Window Explorer 8 has SmartScreen as part of the browser package. If I am correct it is also part of MSE/Windows Defender. I don't think it is new but the way that it acts with in conjunction with the OS may be different.

From what I understand SmartScreen compares the file you are installing against a list of known malware/viruses and warns you that you may end up with an issue. My mom uses Norton Internet Security w/NAV and it has a similar programming algorithym that will tell the user if the installation program is safe (i think this means that they also have a list of know threats also).

I haven't used 7 enough, but in reading I have learned how to bypass UAC without turning the function off by installing programs that usually install to the default program files directory to another directory (such as games).

I haven't tried 8 at all. I try to do the same as the above poster who says that they don't use a new MS OS until at least the time that they put out the first service pack.

As always, don't open emails from people you don't know. Use anti-virus/malware programs, keep them updated and scan your computer and files regularly. Use a firewall. Surf responsibly.

Thanks for the thread.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Thats why they make virtual machines

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join