It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 page book converted into DNA by researchers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Awesome.
Thanks for the links.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
heck. maybe that's how we were created.. store it in amber, mutate it so it can survive when we ship it off to a different planet to try again.

dunno. I've been smoking. I sound pretty crazy

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
do any articles go into how they were able to retrieve the information? ( access the book encoded in the dna)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
So does that mean i can be turned into a book

A best seller, or more likely a cheap christmas present book

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

Thing is, your DNA is probably not written in binary. Or else you'd be a robot.

Beep boop ?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The genetic code is far more advanced than any man made code. It's able to carry multiple codes simultaneously, eg. binding sequences for regulatory and structural proteins, signals for splicing, and RNA secondary structure.

"DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created." - Bill Gates.

This sort of thing has been ongoing for a while.

Craig Ventor, the designer of the first synthetic cell encrypted some text into the synthetic DNA.

Venter speaks freely these days about DNA software, genetic design, and digital life. His team even programmed text messages into their synthetic cell. To emphasize the informational nature of DNA as software, O’Connell pointed out that human-designed DNA software even has bugs:

But perhaps the most intriguing anecdote Venter shared was his description of how his team ‘watermarked’ their synthesised DNA with coded quotations from James Joyce, Robert Oppenheimer and Richard Feynman, only to learn that they had included a mistake in the Feynman quote. Venter’s rather airy description of how they just went back in and fixed it drove home just how far we’ve come in being able to understand, and even manipulate, our own DNA molecules.

The parent of this cell was in fact a computer.

"All living cells that we know of on this planet are 'DNA software'-driven biological machines comprised of hundreds of thousands of protein robots, coded for by the DNA, that carry out precise functions," said Venter. "We are now using computer software to design new DNA software."

www.newscientist.com...

As for "junk" DNA, this is an unfortunate name from a failed prediction. Functions for non coding DNA are being found constantly.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
Imagine if it did answer many mysteries, but we learned that we are pointless and there really is no purpose for life, or reality in general. Maybe we would find that there was a plan originally, but something happened long ago and we have been stranded as a failed experiment.

Would the general public be deserving of that knowledge, or would it only serve to throw civilization into chaos?

Well technically it wouldn't matter then, would it? What I mean is, if it was proven without a doubt that there was no purpose to anything on this planet and we were just some experimental ant colony that somebody got bored of an abandoned, then would it even matter if civilization went into chaos? The world could totally explode at that point, and it wouldn't matter, because there's no purpose. Why bother?

Say I have one tree in my back garden. I'm building a birdhouse for it and I'm about 30% finished. I go to sleep that night and a terrible storm knocks the tree right over. CRACK. Tree is dead. Do I continue building the birdhouse? No. There would be no point, because there is no purpose for it anymore.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Really interesting!

It sounds alot like the game plot in assassins creed! Perhaps the game isn't far off from possible capabilities in the future?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
It absolutely amazes me the stuff that the scientific community is churning out lately, yet they still cant find a cure for cancer or aids..... whats up with that eh?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

B.) Maybe we should start some heavy in-depth research into what the hell exactly is all that Junk DNA is that we've been carrying around all this time?
- (From Slayer)

Me loves this whole concept, as with the "look within" aspect.

This could potentially change life as we know it

edit on 22-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
People are letting their imaginations get ahead of themselves. The achievement here is that scientists have coaxed DNA into storing digital data, that is all. It isn't proof of aliens, creationism or any of that nonsense, any more than coaxing magnetic fields into storing digital data is proof that aliens have modified magnets or that magnets are proof of a god.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DARREN1976

Your argument makes absolutely no sense what so ever. What does aids and cancer have to do with anything?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Anyone thought of "Matrix" by now?

"Just put me this or that DNA-Book/Ability into my body and let me absorb it."

Also you may connect to C.G. Jung's collective unconscious. Quite interesting.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

The akashic records are described as containing all knowledge of human experience and the history of the cosmos. They are metaphorically described as a library; other analogies commonly found in discourse on the subject include a "universal supercomputer" and the "Mind of God". People who describe the records assert that they are constantly updated automatically and that they can be accessed through astral projection[1] or when someone is placed under deep hypnosis

en.wikipedia.org...

Here it is described in near identical description. Funny how new age hokum seems to be scientificly proven time and time again. Nice Slayer

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Here is an interesting read on junk DNA, I just stumbled upon:

Only 10% of our DNA is being used for building proteins. It is this subset of DNA that is of interest to western researchers and is being examined and categorized. The other 90% are considered “junk DNA.” The Russian researchers, however, convinced that nature was not dumb, joined linguists and geneticists in a venture to explore those 90% of “junk DNA.” Their results, findings and conclusions are simply revolutionary! According to them, our DNA is not only responsible for the construction of our body but also serves as data storage and in communication. The Russian linguists found that the genetic code, especially in the apparently useless 90%, follows the same rules as all our human languages. To this end they compared the rules of syntax (the way in which words are put together to form phrases and sentences), semantics (the study of meaning in language forms) and the basic rules of grammar. They found that the alkalines of our DNA follow a regular grammar and do have set rules just like our languages. So human languages did not appear coincidentally but are a reflection of our inherent DNA.

wakeup-world.com...

I know, it sounds weird. But that over 90% of our DNA are just junk, sounds weirder to me.

I decided to give it a chance and ordered the book, they referring to. But it's unfortunately(for most of you) only available in german language.

edit on 22.8.2012 by grobi77 because: typo

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
I don't want to mix mysticism, spirituality, lessons of the ancients, and ancient alien theories into a big lump but...

"Look within" "The answers lie within" "Look within for guidance" ad infinitum, are phrases repeated in every culture, practice, religion, and spiritual understanding in the world.

Do you think...that there is a literal connotation to that piece of wisdom. What would happen if we were to seriously look within and find philosophy, art, music, entertainment, science, spiritual practices, and so forth all encoded within our very DNA from some very distant paternal hand?

Uh oh, I'm feeling the writing bug biting.

Can't believe no one has commented on this. Your post coupled with the original thread is the reason I signed up to ATS!

Thoroughly thought provoking!

I truly believe we are living at the cusp of incredible changes in the world as we know it. Just hope they are all for the betterment of civilization!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Where on earth are you getting the notion that new age stuff had been "scientifically proven" by this novel experiment?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Your argument makes absolutely no sense what so ever. What does aids and cancer have to do with anything?

And your jumping on me makes no sense whatsoever as i wasnt trying to make an arguement, i am truly amazed at what is on the forefront of cutting edge science at the moment, i just made a passing comment on why they havnt found cures for 2 deadly illnesses yet, because i think personally if all the worlds top scientists where to concentrate on some real problems and teamed up and got their heads together, then there is nothing they couldnt solve, due to the fact that these amazing things keep coming to the forefront.... so whats your problem, did i offend you in anyway, or are you just trolling for a confrontation?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
I wonder what we could call the event of our arrival?

The Apocalypse.

Do you honestly think its a good idea to spread our seed around the universe?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

No, your argument still does not make any sense. Scientific discoveries aren't mutually exclusive: it's not a toss up between making one breakthrough or the other.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join