It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Birthday, H.P. Lovecraft. You Would Have Been Eaten First. For Sure.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Howard Phillips Lovecraft (August 20, 1890 – March 15, 1937)

ATS,

I did not want another second to pass without wishing Howard Phillips Lovecraft a Happy Birthday. Howard would have been 122 years old.

In light of the fact that The Great One will be returning this December to devour the souls of mankind and reclaim the Earth for he and his minions, one might consider all birthdays of men to be insignificant and pointless. But we have our traditions, don't we? And at the very least, I think we owe it to Howie for the heads-up.

H.P. Lovecraft had a profound effect on me as a child. The effect was really indistinguishable from head trauma, but despite the derangement, it was because of H.P. that I ever thought to learn to type (never worked out) or begin to write anything at all. My anterior cingulate cortex will never be the same.

So let's all join together in wishing the Father of Macabre and the leader of our cult a big, Happy Birthday!

have a good week, ATS.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I too have been profoundly affected by Lovecraft...as well as Hunter S. Thompson
Kinda tells you a bit about me...

RIP Mr Lovecraft

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Happy Birthday Mr Lovecraft. I was stocking shelves at work yesterday singing hey there Cthulhu.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
aye, agood day to celebrate the creator of the thing that should not be!!!!
i'm sure he is at the mountains of madness,waiting for chutulu's call!!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

I was stocking shelves at work yesterday singing hey there Cthulhu.

Did you roll to save versus insanity?

In fact, despite our well-wishes for the spirit of Howard, everyone on this thread needs to roll to save.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. LOVECRAFT!
I was reading HP's stories when I was 12. Great author!!!!!

I'm going to listen to that book on tape video later. Thanks!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I hope you get a crapload of stars and flags for this thread.
The title alone is worth a spot on the front page, not to mention your homage to the late great person who has filled my dreams with gelatinous tentacled things from beyond space and time since my youth.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Happy Birthday Mr. Lovecraft! One of my all-time favorite authors!! After all, had it not been for growing up reading Lovecraft and Poe, I might have turned out normal

Starred and Flagged, OP.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Thank you, my friend.

I know that there are a lot of us on ATS that have been influenced by the writings of H.P.L. at one point or another in their lives. I can definitely say that Lovecraft helped me to discover who I am.

Thanks for being here.

To all:

If you feel so inclined feel free to use images or media of whatever type you like to make your posts little H.P.L. tributes. There is tons of great stuff out there, as H.P.L. is quite the web phenomenon. I am grateful for that. He is sort of the bridge that spans many generations of geeks.

I think that Howard P. would have loved this image...

X.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Happy Birthday H.P.!

As you can see you live on in infamy as my signature quote.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
wow nevermind lol
edit on 8/21/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Actually his Birthday was yesterday. Happy be-lated birthday Howie!.

Here's a scan of a painting done by a cousin of mine who gave to me in the 80's. Thanks Rick!

I know it's quite large

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Thank you sir, I realize that we are a day late. But in the end I think the fact that we thought of him at all will probably pan-out in our favor in terms of being eaten first.

Thanks for a great post.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Ah, the sweet melding of Metallica and super-high-quality fan-made video production.

Crank this one up, go full screen, and let the Great Old Ones feed on your aetheric effluvium...

Ia!

X.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Xoanon because: Phatgn!!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
This thread made my night!!!! H.P. Lovecraft's tales of dreams, and elder gods have no equal. GREAT THREAD!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Oh, HPL, may I find myself tonight surrounded by sly, soft cats in your parlor in the dream version of Providence. I will bring the cake and 122 candles, and you will serve the (unspeakable) tea. Or perhaps, we crack open a Great Cold One, if you are fond of beer.

Here is a squamous goldmine of audio recordings of his work and music inspired by his writing for those of us celebrating his b-day this side of the veil.

digitalmeltd0wn.blogspot.com...
edit on 22-8-2012 by Eidolon23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
My deepest respects to H.P. and may he rest forever in peace.

Currently in the middle of reading through them, ive been so busy with Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke and Philip K. Dick, that i kind of forgot about H.P. but about a month ago i picked up a eBook with 68 Lovecraft stories, cant get away from them now

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Starred and flagged!I am a huge Lovecraft fan and started reading his works at an early age.I know this phrase is over-used sometimes,but H.P. Lovecraft was a game-changer.I love horror in any form of media/entertainment and Lovecraft was surely a Master--his works are ageless and timeless.I just watched a documentary about him the other day,it was awesome.I think it was on HULU.
I agree with whoever else said that the title alone for this thread deserves kudos..thanks OP

PS--I LOVE your avatar!!
edit on (8/22/1212 by amrith777 because: reasons

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Happy Birthday HP! May your legacy live on forever!!

Dragonbyte's Complete Library of HP Lovecraft

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Great post, thanks for remembering the man.

I like to believe it's Harvey Korman reading the audiobook

top topics

<<   2 >>

join