It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The latest in "entertainment" - pay $300+ & re-enact the killing of Osama Bin Laden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

A former US Navy SEAL is offering people the chance to re-enact the killing of Osama bin Laden for $311. Larry Yatch runs the role-playing game, in which participants have the chance to shoot a person dressed as the terrorist with fake bullets, from the basement of a firearms studio in Minnesota. The studio is set up to look like the Pakistan compound where the al-Qaeda leader was shot dead in a raid by US Navy SEALS last year. The retired SEAL said 137 people had signed up for the game, which uses real weapons with military grade simulated rounds, in the past four months. But Mr Yatch said the fake military operation was not just for entertainment but to teach self-defence. "It's close enough [to the real thing] that the amount of adrenaline people have degrades their ability to even experience all of it at one time," Mr Yatch told MPR News.

link...

I would be interested to get the take on this by ATS members with a military background (Beezer and ilk). Simulation and role-playing for entertainment (and/or self-defence) is not a new thing but this situation has the potential to cause more animosity towards the west (and in particular the US) via Muslim nations. I am led to believe that OBL is greatly revered in Pakistan and other Muslim countries - would this new "game" not ramp-up anti-US sentiment amongst said nations - depicting a deceased Muslim in such a way and re-enacting his demise?

(That, of course, is if you believe he was killed in that compound in the first place - and not some time previous to that)

And, with so many shootings in the US recently and subsequent discussions on ATS about same, Mr Yatch's comments that it is not just for "entertainment" - concerns me. Getting dressed up and unleashing a barrage of rounds (albeit in a controlled environment) does make me wonder:-

Scenario - what if one idiot goes through the simulation and a week later decides that he wants to try it out for real life - thanks to the Navy Seal (minimum) training.

Promoting the use of weapons primarily for entertainment, imo, is not a good idea.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
In my opinion this is Capitalism at its best - and its worst.

Can't spite the guy for wanting to make a buck... But my own personal morals wouldn't allow me to make money in this manner.

If nothing else - his list of "clients" probably reads like a "who's going to go ballistic in public next" textbook.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

So were still on for next Saturday? My treat.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
For an extra 65 bux and signing a waiver he will push you out of 2nd floor window in a garbage can to simulate the crash of the chopper that killed the seal team while leaving the compound..

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

SOLD! I find the thing a bit macabre, but meh. I think Id do it if the price was right. More fun than video games. I get why people are grossed out though. Seems wrong to play at death but we do it all the time.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

If nothing else - his list of "clients" probably reads like a "who's going to go ballistic in public next" textbook.

My thoughts exactly. If I was government I would be quite interested in who is on that list.

Thanks for the feedback - its greatly appreciated.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

That picture is hilarious! Sure beats the novelty rollercoaster photo from the amusement park.

...I wonder how he arrived at the odd price...

Reality? Fantasy? Fantasy? Reality? Definitely absurdity!

edit on 8/19/2012 by HolographicPrincipal because: formatting

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

so you pay the money and then get to see someone die in a hospital bed? seems lame

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Can you pay a bit more and take part in a simulation of the training the US gave to Bin Laden? Maybe finish up with a reenactment of the regular meals and cigars Bush shared with other members of the Bin Laden family?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Wait a minute, ex seals unhappy with Obama over Bin Laden raid. Right, they are the one's who should get talked about and make the money.

Wonder if they are getting part of the cash from the commemorative coin about the raid.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I know Osama Bin Laden was a bad guy, but shouldn't we all respect the dead?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

In my opinion this is Capitalism at its best - and its worst.

Can't spite the guy for wanting to make a buck... But my own personal morals wouldn't allow me to make money in this manner.

~Heff

If nothing else? Nah, O wrongo bongo. Ridiculous. I reject your notion as wrong.

Id pay $600.00 if it was realistic in the way it portrayed me popping the quintessential scumbag like Bin Laden.

Saying anything else I believe is UN AMERICAN. I could care less what you think. Irreverent.

Oh BTW, just saying.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Some people would pay $311 for a REAL PICTURE of a dead Bin Laden.

top topics

join