It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home schooling ambush

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I came across this today and Thought to add it to the thread. I also think people should have the right to home school, but what really interests me is why does the Government want to eradicate home schooling to begin with?

No Child Unrecruited

Should the military be given the names of every high school student in America?

www.motherjones.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
High School Cadets in Marietta Georgia

Sharon Shea-Keneally, principal of Mount Anthony Union High School in Bennington, Vermont, was shocked when she received a letter in May from military recruiters demanding a list of all her students, including names, addresses, and phone numbers.
The school invites recruiters to participate in career days and job fairs, but like most school districts, it keeps student information strictly confidential. "We don't give out a list of names of our kids to anybody," says Shea-Keneally, "not to colleges, churches, employers -- nobody."

But when Shea-Keneally insisted on an explanation, she was in for an even bigger surprise: The recruiters cited the No Child Left Behind Act, President Bush's sweeping new education law passed earlier this year. There, buried deep within the law's 670 pages, is a provision requiring public secondary schools to provide military recruiters not only with access to facilities, but also with contact information for every student -- or face a cutoff of all federal aid.
"I was very surprised the requirement was attached to an education law," says Shea-Keneally. "I did not see the link."

More

Source: www.motherjones.com...

[edit on 16/10/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I happen to reside in North Muskegon, and get the paper. I'll see if I can dig up the article and post it. I read the news daily and have an archive. I'm sure it was within the last month or two because I remember reading that.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Dr wrote: "Maybe we should refrain from historical examples altogether, since public school revisionism is one of the arguments made on this thread . . . "

Mea Culpa!

My sole purpose for bringing up historical examples is to point out that there were many masterful and noble legends who did not endure years in a public school and years in a college to motivate them to invent, or become the great legends of history.

Getting back to the home school issue--one of the really good points to focus on, in this discussion, is home schooling certainly keeps a family unit strong. It helps establish self-reliance, self-determination and self-control. Which I am inclined to believe those qualities ruffles the governments feathers-- that is where it becomes a thorn in the governments side. They prefer to have a Nanny-State (of mind)

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My wife is home schooling our kids, do to the FACT that the PS sys is short of teachers, drags out the learning process, instills un-healthy competition, lacks challenge and well needs to be completely overhauled. Besides the fact of bullies (look at Columbine) and the rest of the "socialization" (creating us/ them mentality) that goes on at school, that teachers seem to overlook as natural behavior. I can see were the majority of people need the PS sys do to being duel income families, BUT public school systems ARE selling our kids short of a proper education.

BTW, there are some parents that should not be allowed to home school, they simply don't have the drive, knowledge or structure to do so and there have been parents charged and social services have been brought in because they did not educate their children properly (at least I have seen this happen in Canada, I don't know about the US though).

Oh and most parents that I know that home school their children are by no stretch of the imagination Christian, there are a few but the majority I know are not.

Even in Canada, the government (school board) hates home schooling. A friend of mine went through six months of hell trying to get the funding from her 16 year old returned. He was enrolled the previous year but didn't like the PS sys, so she (the mother) said he was not going to return to Public School. The school board said "You know that if you take your kid out of school that we can't release his funds to you." After looking into it she found out they were lying, then they said "If we release his funding to you we will have to lay off one of our teachers." (another lie)
In Canada the school board gets $36,000 per kid per year, so it is all just a money game, it is bloody BS.

The public school system should be looking out for:

1) What is best for that individual.
2) What does that individual want and/or need.
3) What is in the best interest for the parents.
4) What are the main reasons behind home schooling children.
5) What steps can they take to improve the system.

There is no need to make a person feel guilty for wanting what is best for their child, if the PS sys fails the individual in some way, they should try to change that problem, but they should also respect that persons right of freedom to choose. It is called FREEDOM and TOLERANCE. PS sys is not for everyone.

As for home schooled terrorists:

DENY IGNORANCE, and DO NOT STERIOTYPE

We are all individuals, with individual wants and needs.

edited for spelling and grammer

[edit on 16-10-2004 by amike555]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Let's see if I can give a list of reasons why I am investigating home school for my own spawn rt. now.

1. PS schooling techniques include a lot of "experimenting" with new teaching techniques. I want my children to learn by tried & true methods.

2. PS curriculum is focused on the business of "busy-ness." As another poster wrote, if you follow your PS kid's day, there is standing in line to put up your coat, standing in line to get your coat for recess, standing in line to wash your hands before lunch, standing in line to get lunch, etc. ad nauseum. They tend to be heavy on "hands-work" crafts to show parents, and light on conceptualization.

3. I want to emphasize foreign language, and linguistics in general.

4. Our local elementary PS no longer teaches memorization of addition/multiplication tables!!! No wonder that no one born after 1980 can make correct change in less than 30 seconds!!! Check out the "connected math program" fiasco at Plano, TX schools:

www.cnsnews.com.../Education/archive/EDU20000208b.html

Check out how your seventh-grader's math book is rated, here:

www.mathematicallycorrect.com...

5. I want to emphasize history by having my kids read primary sources, rather than reading "summaries" of famous documents. I can still remember a great deal of Caesar's commentary on The Gallic Wars, which I discovered at age 12. I want them to read Cicero and Machiavelli, as well as Kepler and Newton.

6. I want to focus on electronics, especially integrated circuits. I constantly fix old digital equipment around the house. My brother charges $99/hour in his spare time to inspect repaired circuit boards. It's a great way to learn how computers work.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
dr_strangecraft

well dr strange....he is one of the cutting edge experiments they will be subjected to....teachers are now taught to ignore male children even with their hands up, actually to put their back to them if necessary and chose female children who don't appear to know the answer....the logic behind this technique is that male children excel at certain subjects only because they are allowed to try....forcing the female child to suffer.

Another experiment....a friend getting her teaching certificate showed me a test she had to take on Ebonics. She was about as horrible at math as could be, and she is concentrating on understanding Ebonics.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
(IMO) I'm starting to think why the U.S. Government is more concerned about homeschoolers is how they are not buying the educational party line. And of course the money the P.S. is losing as well as the undermining mind sets.

The Seduction of Homeschooling Families
by Chris Cardiff, from _The Freeman_*, March 1998, pp. 139-144

Do the public school authorities feel threatened by homeschooling?

For the last several years, homeschooling has been the fastest growing educational alternative in the country. Estimates of its growth rate typically range from 15-25% annually. Homeschoolers are notoriously difficult to count, however, the National Homeschooling Research Institute believes that currently 1.2 million children homeschool today.

The sheer number of homeschoolers represent a distinct threat to the hegemony of the government school monopoly. Qualitatively, the academic success of homeschoolers, measured by standardized test scores and recruitment by colleges [1], debunk the myth that parents need to hire credentialed experts to force children to learn.
[3]. Homeschooled children represent over seven billion dollars out of reach of local government schools and, at its current growth rate, each year more than another billion dollars slips away.
Politically, homeschoolers are a force to be reckoned with when their rights are endangered More

Just to add these numbers above are from 1988
Source: www.akhomeschool.net...

Michigan School District Portrays Homeschoolers as "Terrorists"

Comparing us to the most dangerous people in the world is a terrible insult and a travesty. The newspaper promised to print our response in a follow-up story.

Calls already have poured in and the Muskegan Intermediate School District and Muskegan County have issued an apology printed below. More

Source: Homeschool World: www.home-school.com... The Worlds Most Visited Homeschool Site.

YOUR GOVERNMENT AT WORK

Homeschoolers portrayed as terrorists

A Michigan county concocted a scenario in which public-school children were threated by a fictitious radical group that believes everyone should be homeschooled.
The made-up group was called Wackos Against Schools and Education.
Source: www.wnd.com...

[edit on 16/10/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I am grateful that my parents spent their time and money in sending me to a private school. When I first went to a public school I was working in the office ... and after seeing what goes on I decided that no matter the sacrifice I would either home school or send my kids to a private school.

The teachers don't challenge the students, and if a student is found lacking in skills ... the rest of the class suffers. Parents also expect the school to do everything for them. Half the time the teachers are off to training and the classes are mostly taught by subs ... so there is no stability for a good learning environment.

Most parents aren't willing to help their children, and most teachers aren't willing to REALLY teach their students ... most teachers just go through the motions.

As a side note. The public schools in Los Angeles do offer the option ... in a limited way of home schooling. Though the student has to have a good excuse to be out of school for a lengthy period of time, then a contract is signed ... homework assigned ... and the student needs to bring back all the homework on the return date. Though when that is done, the work is graded as a whole and not individually. Like on a scale of 1 to 10.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Last year my niece graduated here in california from a class comprised of over 900 students, out of that only 30% graduated... it did not even make news.
Last year my son was over 20 minutes late more than 4 times over the whole year and I got a letter stating I was going to be referred to the District Attorney for Prosecution if he was late again.
Outraged I called the school, they gave that B.S. copout about needing his instruction by the school district and being with his piers 8 hours a day 5 days a week bla bla bla. when it became obvious to them I wasnt going cavin on this ludicrus horse pucky story, they openly admitted and I quote "We do not get our MONEY, for that student, for that day, unless his warm little body is sitting in his chair, for that day when roll call is made!"
Whoops, there it is
So dont give me the
" its about his education " when its only about one thing, as quoted by the very school itsef - its about " MONEY "

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It seams that Home schooling is something that other Governments want to eradicate

7 homeschooling dads
thrown in jail
Families fined for refusing to send children to government institutions

Posted: October 28, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern
By Ron Strom
� 2004 WorldNetDaily.com
Seven homeschooling fathers in Germany spent several days in jail for refusing to pay fines that were imposed on them for failing to send their children to government schools.
The fathers, who are part of the Twelve Tribes Community in Klosterzimmern, Germany, were forced to spend between six and 16 days in what the group's website translates as "coercive jail." more

According to Hal Young, president of North Carolinians for Home Education, who has followed the plight of the German families, the media in Germany have given the homeschoolers favorable coverage.
As WorldNetDaily reported, some German families have escaped the nation to prevent the state from taking custody of their children.

Judges try to snatch homeschoolers

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join