It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Broke The Law By Raising Money From Foreign Donors. Should He Be Disqualified?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
linky

I'm not sure how accurate the article is.
But it does raise some serious questions. If foreign nationals gave Romney money at his fundraiser in London.
Then we have a problem.

Is Romney ineligible to become the next President of the United States of America? It’s a very real possibility, especially since he threw a few fundraisers during his disastrous little overseas meet n’ greet a few weeks ago. These fundraisers were extremely private, with no journalists present (with a single exception, who did not have access to the donors), no filming or photography allowed, no diligence done, and no donor ID’s checked. If money changed hands at these rich shin-digs (which is quote probable, being fundraisers and all), Romney could be in a lot of trouble.

But why? Let’s ask the Supreme Court and their 9-0 decision in Bluman v. Federal Election Commission:

(a) Prohibition

It shall be unlawful for —

(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make —

(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or

(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 434(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph

(A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

2 U.S.C. § 441e(a).[fn2] The statute continues to define “foreign national” to include all foreign citizens except those who have been admitted as lawful permanent residents. Id. § 441e(b).

Now I did find a scribd link with the invite.
linky

According to the invite you need a US Passport. But you know how that works.

And hell. This doesn't even cover the fundraiser he had in Jerusalem.
He's in deep crap.

edit on 14-8-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

My thoughts are both of these "candidates" we have to choose from need to be disqualified...

Romney for all of this crap and then some.....

Obama for destroying our economy and practically the USA for that matter!!

There is one REAL candidate nobody is still talking about!!

GO RON PAUL!!!!! The only one who can make some change for the better!!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

He also raised money in Israel, though many of its citizens hold dual citizenship with the US.

I thought it was really odd that he held fundraisers abroad, that stinks in all kinds of ways.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Maybe this is why Romney introduce Paul Ryan as the "The Next President of the United States!"

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I really don't like Romney for countless reasons. He's a characterless, spineless, cowardly little rich kid. BUT, this is not something I think is fair to bust on him about. There is no law that says you can't go overseas to raise money from dual citizens, ex-pats an Americans working abroad.

Plus, the Supreme Court Justices have made it fair game for corporations -- and there is NO exclusion for foreign corporations (even foreign corps owned by their governments, like in China) -- to donate any or all of their revenue to any political candidate at any level, for any office, at any time.

For example, if BP (British Petroleum) wanted to give its entire revenue to a superPAC in support of Joe Blow for county commissioner, the Supremes have ruled they can have at it.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

LOL! Dude you have got some serious blinders on! Obama has made a living raising money overseas. Including China!

Last year, Obama’s reelection campaign raised $237,000 from American residents of Great Britain, $128,000 from U.S. expatriates in France and $113,000 from Americans living in Switzerland. This year, the Obama Victory Fund already has staged events in Paris, Cairo and Dublin.

The Shanghai event was the first ever held in China, but it’s likely to be eclipsed by one coming up next month that not only features a foreign venue, but a celebrity host. On Aug. 27, George Clooney will host a reception and dinner in Geneva, Switzerland, a sequel to an identical fundraiser he helped put together during Obama’s initial run for the White House. His co-hosts for this evening are Charles C. Adams, Jr., who heads the Geneva office Akin Gump, the well-connected, mainly Democratic law firm and lobbying powerhouse, and Matthew Barzun, former ambassador to Sweden and a leading Obama bundler. Tickets for the Geneva evening run from $1,000 to $30,000. Just three days earlier, on August 24, Adams and Barzun will co-host a more budget-minded Obama fundraiser in Stockholm, Sweden. Tickets to that one are scaled from just $250 to a modest $450.

Obama's Overseas Fundraisers Spark GOP Ire

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by grey580

He also raised money in Israel, though many of its citizens hold dual citizenship with the US.

I thought it was really odd that he held fundraisers abroad, that stinks in all kinds of ways.

Did you think it was odd Obama has had dozens of fundraisers overseas? Or only if someone from a party you don't like does it?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Explanation: Seems both sides, Obama and Romney, have flouted and broken the law.

But then we already knew that about Obama with Fast and Furious SCANDAL!

And we also knew that about Romney after he spent $1million on illegally attempting to discredit Ron Paul by having his supporters hand out false flyers in RP's name!

Personal Disclosure: VOTE Ron Paul 2012!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Foreign politicians should be barred from stepping foot in my country without express permission, and, if found to be conducting themselves like this, they should be deported and banned from entering for the rest of their lives.

To say nothing of the disgusting things that man did when he was over here.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by grey580

Did you think it was odd Obama has had dozens of fundraisers overseas? Or only if someone from a party you don't like does it?

Yep

And don't forget these:

www.newsmax.com...

pjmedia.com...

How a noname Illnois Senator "raised" 1 billion dollars screams fraud but hey Romney should be in jail except between Obama and Romney only one is under investigation.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Americans living in other countries aren't a problem. And getting funds from those people isn't illegal.

Last year, Obama’s reelection campaign raised $237,000 from American residents of Great Britain, $128,000 from U.S. expatriates in France and $113,000 from Americans living in Switzerland. This year, the Obama Victory Fund already has staged events in Paris, Cairo and Dublin.

This article claims that is not the case with Romney.

“Romney has raised millions in foreign cash at fundraising event across Israel and London, those that we know of so far. One table alone gave him a million in cash. None was from American citizens. Fewer than 10% of Romney’s contributors in Israel are estimated to be “dual citizens.” Others may have just flown the money in.”

If you would of read what I posted. You would of read the above quote.

Romney getting money from American citizens living abroad is perfectly legal.
But if the money is coming from a foreign citizen then there's a problem.
If Obama was getting money from foreign citizens then he has a problem too.

If the above quote is true then Romney is in trouble right?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
My guess is that this is the tip of the iceberg. IF he took money from people who don't have US citizenship, that's a HUGE deal. Citizens of other countries paying for our politicians? That's dangerous indeed.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
DUBIOUS DONATIONS (2012 EDITION)
www.powerlineblog.com...

Back in 2008 the Obama campaign turned off the standard Address Verification System that screens credit-card charges for matching names and addresses.

An experiment was done to see if Obama might have changed that procedure in 2012:

If you go here you will note that credit card donations to the Obama election campaign do not require the credit card security code [i.e., the CVV code]. What they have done is disable the Address Verification System (AVS) which prevents credit card fraud. Yesterday, just to see what would happen, I submitted a donation and filled out the form as follows:

Name – Adolph Hitler
Address – 123 Nuremburg Way, Berlin, Germany
Occupation – Dictator
Employer – Nazi Party

After submitting, I received an email that began, “Dear Adolph, thank you for your generous donation….”

I then went to the Romney and Santorum websites and tried the same thing. Both rejected the donations with a message that the address could not be verified as belonging to the card holder.

This isn't a oops. This is every bit as criminal as rigging voting machines.

...anybody in the world can contribute to Obama. Not only that, but they can do so anonymously. Not only that, they can contribute an unlimited amount since there is no record of who made the donation. I could contribute $49 every day for the rest of my life by just changing names every time I reach $2,500 and no one would be the wiser.

What Obama's camp has done is far worse than Romney. They circumvented the record keeping process.

In fact, if the names and addresses of all credit card donors around the world are on file, perhaps Romney did nothing wrong.

Another source:
www.nypost.com...
edit on 8/16/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
OK so Romney took some money from foreigners......Obama is a foreigner so now what???

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

If the person in your blog used a computer in the US to donate as Hitler, his ip address reflects that. .

And when there is a foreign donation (from a computer located in the UK, for example), a donation requires a passport number.

To donate to the campaign, please use our Americans Abroad donation form.

If you are living abroad, you will also need to provide a copy of your U.S. passport.

Please note that only U.S. citizens and lawfully admitted permanent residents can donate to federal campaigns, and that Obama for America does not accept contributions from corporations, labor unions, PACs, federal lobbyists, registered foreign agents, minors under the age of 16, or any federally prohibited source.

FAQ on Obama Donations

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I remember someone suggesting on the dailypaul to get international donations since people all over the world like ron paul, but the site operator put a notice on the front page saying foreign donations were illegal and even suggesting this is bad publicity.

So to recap: for ron paul you cant even suggest foreign donations, for romney foreign donations are not only acceptable but seen as a positive when they come from Israel. Typical hypocrisy.

new topics

top topics

join