It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds Cats Are Killing Machines: (Odd study but very interesting results/conclusion)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
My cats used to bring "presents" home back when they were younger, but after chastising such behavior by me and the family all the time they stopped doing it. Now, I have no clue what they do all day and night, other then every time I see them there either hungry or just laying around the house. There practically wild cats, but I think they slowed down as they got older.

But still there basically outside almost all the time even in winter they don't want to stay in the house for long. They usually disappear in the evening and don't show up till way past midnight or in the morning, and they always want the cat food. Though I think they put something in that stuff because they wont eat anything else I give them but that. I am not even sure they ever ate anything they killed and brought back to tell the truth, but I never stuck around to watch what they did with there kills, just yelled at them to take it somewhere else.

However it would not surprise me that there little critter killing machines when nobody is looking. Must be why we don't see that many squirrels around the house as we used to.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Try and get hold of a copy of Neil Gaiman's 'Dream of a thousand cats' in his Sandman series. In it he describes a world where cats are the dominant race, using humans as pets or prey.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I used to hate cats till one answered my prayers. I posted here awhile back how I was under assault from mice with no reprieve. Then one day a family left their cat in their foreclosed home. He got out and made his way to where I live. He scent marked the whole building nightly and eventually they all left. Since then I and other people here feed him and play with him.

He is fixed and has a great attitude. living in my complex like this, he'd have it no other way. Only downside is he managed to eat our entire lizard population, we're talking 10,000 plus!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

How DARE you OP!

Also it doesn't look like that lion is eating the nubian, I think something far more sinister may be afoot.

You really think only one cat per home? I'm all for spaying and neutering pets (I hate it when it's called altering, gives me the creeps) but just whacking every stay seems a bit much.

Better watch your back OP. MEOW!
edit on 20-8-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I have two little pussies.

One's a right mean little bustard, who brings dead and half dead mice home twice a week.

He takes great pleasure in flicking those half dead mice across the lawn with his paws and bounds after them whilst they're trying to escape, right in-front of what-ever window in the house we are to be found.

We chase after him, he then dives under a bush, with said half mangled squeaking mouse and waits until we have given up trying to get him from under the bush and slowly emerges ith the trophy in his mouth; once he's seen we are both inside of course.

I;'ve given up on the number of times I've seen a mouse summer-sault, head over heels, tail spinning mid-air; shooting across the view from the window, only to see my fat mean cat bolt after it.

The other one, only pounces on old socks. Then proceeds to carry them in her mouth to me making an awful racket.
She then demands food.

Kitties! Huh! (love them though.)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This was a stupid study and anyone who's "shocked" by this behavior from their cat is a terrible pet owner.

Cats are predators, and when they play they simulate hunting, so when they hunt - they're also playing. And playing is critical to a cat's emotional well-being, the more they play the happier - and calmer - they are.

To the poster (and anyone else) who got mad at their kitty for bringing home trophies and leaving them inside, try to understand that your pets see this as a gift they're giving to you - and scolding them for this sends a very bad signal to them.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Allow only 1 cat per household, really? I'm hoping this is some sort of sarcasm or something.

So when me and my ex were together and she moved in, she should have just killed her can instead of bringing it into my house, because I already had 2 cats?

Or people who currently have 2,3,4,5, etc cats should just kill them all except one? That's most ridiculous.

Cats aren't a problem at all. I find that incredibly funny coming from a human. Oh yes, all the damage humans have caused to other species and the environment, but lets pick on the little kitties for their miniscule effect on rat and bird populations.

How silly.....

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
This is a fun story:
One of my two "outdoor challenged" cats loves loves LOVES those fake mice - or at least used to (that would be the feline to the left of this post). He'd always seem to have a new favorite of the several strewn about the apartment, managing to fish it out from wherever it last landed. Then we'd have a game of toss and return for a few minutes.

One evening, I'm sitting in my comfy chair working on the computer, when I hear him batting his toy about. He prances up to the side of my chair to unload it so I'd toss it across the room. I reach down, feel for, and grab the toy as I continue to focus on my work. Hmmm. It's squishy (squeeze again) - yeah, it's squishy. Why is it squishy? And warm? Ew! Then I drop it like a hot potato and turn up the lights to confirm that yes, it is actually a real mouse (my squeezing probably sealing its death warrant).

Thing is, I didn't even know there were mice in the apartment, and after 5 years of living there and 7 years of the cat being a domesticated lardass, it was surprising.... to say the least. And gross.

On a side note, I was on my balcony the other day and observed a small, obviously hungry cat take down a massive city-sized rat.

edit on 8/21/2012 by HolographicPrincipal because: spellingz

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
There's this huge stray tomcat that prowls around my block at night, I mean this thing is so big it looks like a fat lynx or something. Pretty cool looking orange cat and it isn't scared of anything either, I take the dog out (a decent sized black lab... obviously) and the beast doesn't even bother to run, it just stands there and stares for a minute then casually walks off when it gets bored.

I have two smaller housecats and they are amazing predators, they can catch flies in the air pretty good and any bug or other living/non-living thing that enters the house gets examined and executed after a meager amount of playing with it. I guess nature found a good combination of speed, flexibility and sharp claws.

Not too smart though, kind of a dumb, instinct driven animal.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by 420smokiesmalls
i really dislike cats, their too sneaky and you just never know what the damned things are thinking.
but they are loving animals and i understand why so many people like them. ill stick with mans best friend

Yes me too. There are decimating wildlife. Why don't the idiots who own them put a detachable collar and a bell on them? And they can quit crapping my my yard or I will get my catapult out. Problem solved!

I recently saw one take a songthrush in my yard and am damn angry about that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join