It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Camera = Facebook Big Brother??? Maybe / Maybe Not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting, but I wasn't surprised considering everything Facebook does is to promote their users as figures in the public's eyes.

True title of the article:

The Facebook camera that can reconise you every time you walk into a shop

(Source)

Now I don't know about you, but this sounds like it's the first stage to public recognition that could be transferred to any agency and since it's by Facebook which is trusted by many people it will be accepted by the public.

Shoppers could soon be automatically recognised when they walk into a shop using a controversial new camera.
Called Facedeals, the camera uses photos uploaded to Facebook to recognise people as they walk in.

Shoppers who agree to use the system, which has not been developed with Facebook, will be offered special deals.

A promotional video created to promote the concept shows drinkers entering a bar, and then being offerend cheap drinks as they are recognised.
'Facebook check-ins are a powerful mechanism for businesses to deliver discounts to loyal customers, yet few businesses—and fewer customers—have realized it,' said Nashville-based advertising agency Redpepper.
They are already trialling the scheme in firms close to their office.

'A search for businesses with active deals in our area turned up a measly six offers.
'The odds we’ll ever be at one of those six spots are low (a strip club and photography studio among them), and the incentives for a check-in are not nearly enticing enough for us to take the time.

'So we set out to evolve the check-in and sweeten the deal, making both irresistible.
'We call it Facedeals.

edit on 14-8-2012 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Its your fault for using CIAbook. I warned all of you, but NO you think its ok to sacrifice your right to privacy so you can talk to your friends online.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

I completely agree and that's why I don't use Facebook.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
do not use facebook then simple

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I would like to reference Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the ring here, so I hope at least some of you will understand this analogy.

Frodo offers the ring to Gandalf in order to rid the world of the “One Ring”, but Gandalf refuses and he states “I would use the ring for good, but through me the ring would wield a most terrible power”. This is not the exact quote, but illustrates my point.

Facebook I am sure has all the right intentions in offering this service, plus even more customer information, but through other organizations, (eg. The government) the potential for disaster looms!

Nerd level +1

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

I would like to reference Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the ring here, so I hope at least some of you will understand this analogy.

Frodo offers the ring to Gandalf in order to rid the world of the “One Ring”, but Gandalf refuses and he states “I would use the ring for good, but through me the ring would wield a most terrible power”. This is not the exact quote, but illustrates my point.

Facebook I am sure has all the right intentions in offering this service, plus even more customer information, but through other organizations, (eg. The government) the potential for disaster looms!

Nerd level +1

Very good analogy

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Can never see the point of Facebook or those other social media sites. Never had an account on any of them, and have no intentions to either. Who wants to know what somebody has just done "hey, just got in from shopping, knackered", just wanted to know that. If I want to speak to people, it is face to face, or the land line phone. Saying that, as I write this, you know my webcam camera on my laptop, well I have covered that up. I am sure I read somewhere that maybe people, might be able to see you on it even though you do not know. Christ, reading all these conspiracy sites, is making me slightly paranoid!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by KnightFire

Facebook is almost a must for me to keep track of and keep in connection with my distant friends.

phone numbers and email addresses change more often than facebook accounts.

I use facebook, but only in a superficial manner. Plus it could be a great tool for disinformation.

"Interest and hobbies: abiding by the law, turning in neighbors for suspicious activity, spending all my money on consumer grade goods, actively posting positive things about the US government in online forums."

edit on 8/14/2012 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

Facebook is almost a must for me to keep track of and keep in connection with my distant friends.

phone numbers and email addresses change more often than facebook accounts.

I use facebook, but only in a superficial manner. Plus it could be a great tool for disinformation.

"Interest and hobbies: abiding by the law, turning in neighbors for suspicious activity, spending all my money on consumer grade goods, actively posting positive things about the US government in online forums."

I was a member of Facebook until they started that location grabber using your cell phone's GPS and/or your computer IP address to track your location. I know it can be shut off in the setting, but it's not really turned off. Example...I turned it off in the privacy setting and posted a picture of me and my family on vacation, in which only my closest family and friends were about to see my account. My dad called me and said, looks like you just told the world where you are with the picture I posted. I knew then I needed to stop using Facebook.

I understand what you're saying because Facebook is awesome for keeping in touch with friends and family. If you are going to use it, don't post any pictures or personal information that someone could use to track you.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by agnes
Christ, reading all these conspiracy sites, is making me slightly paranoid!

Just being on ATS makes us all a little paranoid.

No worries about the camera, I cover mine up too. I know for a fact the camera can be accessed remotely without the user knowing it's active.
edit on 14-8-2012 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

There are ways around that tracking crap.

but your first mistake was using facebook mobile. Thats a big no-no and i'll never use it.

Most cameras and smart phones make use of whats called "EXIF" data. This is data stored in a picture that you dont see by looking at the picture.

Basically facebook will take that data to geolocate you/the photo. If the exif data has been removed (which you should do for any picture you post online), then facebook may attempt to use your phones current GPS coords to label the pic. Smart phones also come with their own GPS/location service. So you may want to turn THAT off as well. Doing these 3 steps will make "tracking" you much more difficult.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Doing these 3 steps will make "tracking" you much more difficult.

Assuming that turning them off actually shuts down the application.
We naturally trust when the device says off, but is it actually off?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

There are ways around that tracking crap.

but your first mistake was using facebook mobile. Thats a big no-no and i'll never use it.

Most cameras and smart phones make use of whats called "EXIF" data. This is data stored in a picture that you dont see by looking at the picture.

Basically facebook will take that data to geolocate you/the photo. If the exif data has been removed (which you should do for any picture you post online), then facebook may attempt to use your phones current GPS coords to label the pic. Smart phones also come with their own GPS/location service. So you may want to turn THAT off as well. Doing these 3 steps will make "tracking" you much more difficult.

Thanks for sharing the information about the EXIF data. I knew a picture had data behind it, but not that type of data.

I'm good to go with the GPS on my phone. I turned the GPS off the first day I got it.

This is what I love about ATS....I learn something new everyday.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

Doing these 3 steps will make "tracking" you much more difficult.

Assuming that turning them off actually shuts down the application.
We naturally trust when the device says off, but is it actually off?

So very true. We trust they are not active, but in reality.....anything is possible.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

What you are insinuating is highly illegal and would land a manufacturer in very big trouble.

Supreme Court: GPS tracking without a warrant is illegal 2012

This would be no different than placing a tracking device on someone without a warrant. The only reason these smart phones are allowed to have this technology is because it is voluntary and can be turned off. Besides, you can still be physically located through your phone without GPS through cell phone triangulation. Which would make what you are suggesting highly unlikely because THEY dont need it to accomplish what you are saying.

Basically all phones are constantly sending out "pings" to any nearby receivers.
Phone: "Hey is anyone out there that can help me send data if I need too?"

Any Tower within range replies: "Yes, you can contact me here if you need to trasmit data".

Now if your phone happens to ping 3 or more towers, they can determine within a few degrees of error where you are using simple trigonometry and geometry.

ETA- Cell phone triangulation is not illegal and it is commonly used in civilian search and rescue operations.
So why do something illegal to accomplish something you can do legally right?

ETA 2- I should also point out though, that with a warrant, it is very probable that law enforcement can have you're GPS tracking secretly turned on. I know that on-star has this capability as well.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Not to offend, but your comments seem to be a bit naive. You are knowledgeable, i agree to that. But you are just regurgitating the information presented to the public. My comment was to invoke some critical thinking on your part and not a statement of fact.

With all the known deceptive tactics undertaken by not only the US government but all governments, you are denying the possibility that a remote third party would not be able to gain access to said devices/software. Heard about the virus plaguing Iranian computer systems?

Your comment is very closed minded, good luck to you sir and your puppet master.

edit on 14-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Where did I DENY the possibility that a third party could gain access to something like this? I never said that, and I know its totally possible. In fact i even stated that LEO could get a warrant to access this. Which means the capability is there, which means it could also be done illegally, right?

Just an FYI, I am a senior in college completing a Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics degree currently carrying a 3.94 GPA, on track to graduate with Summa Cum Laude honors. Hate those damn -A's

So I would have to argue that I'm not naive on this topic.

I have done law classes, cyber investigation classes, ect, ect, ect..

My respect for the legal system has increased 10 fold since I started this program. You would be very surprised at the effort the LEO community(in general) goes to ensure that their investigations are within the confines of the LAW so that their work and cases don't get thrown out. So i have to ask, why would they break the law for GPS cell phone data, when they can get your location legally, with no warrant, through cell phone triangulation, which is currently not illegal? Just one example

Of course very deep agencies like the NSA and NRO more than likely have to ability to use GPS services without a warrant as they are usually working under the auspices of National Security. However, these guys do not go after joe schmoe down the street. These guys go after the hardcore extremist and terrorists. And we all know those types of people arent covered by constitutional rights anymore. They get labelled "enemy combatants" and get military tribunals.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Sir, i am trying to stimulate debate. You are copy and pasting your answers. You have not really offered a opinion on the matter.

Not wise to provide personal information on the internet. I recommend editing your post. I did not attack your credibility at all and this display just shows your immaturity.

Doing a quick search, it appears their is a high probability to attend ****** college, possibly part-time...

It would be quite easy to attack you educational institution and your GPA, but I have a bit more class. Enjoy your attempt at flaunting your ego.

Edit: Removed the name of your college

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Lol you are too funny.

There is not a single thing I posted in this thread that I copy and pasted except for a couple hyper-links.

Everything else I wrote on my own. You seem to love coming up with random assumptions about people and claiming them as fact. What exactly did I copy and paste now?

Also, I really dont care if people know where I am or where I go to school. Exposing what school i go to wont be my downfall. In fact if you go over my posting history I've mentioned a few times what state I am in and what school I go to.

I am curious what school you think I go to. I counted the asterick's and it didnt match up with the number of letters. so go ahead and tell me what school I am enrolled in, im just curious what you think. I would also love to hear you attack the credibility of my institution as it is funded through the DOD. The school takes part in top secret research and investigations. Our facility is a multimillion dollar TEMPEST class facility, which are the same regulations used by the NSA. MANY of the 3 letter agencies have offices in our building.

Also, you did attack my credibility by calling me naive and close minded.
At least I offered up my credentials on the subject. Im curious what you are working with? XD
I worked my BUTT off to have the grades I do, so thanks, but I earned the right to be proud about it!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I see I am being overly abstract here and I have obviously upset you. I apologize. Congratulations on your grades, I wish you all the luck in entering a successful profession. I will not turn this into a pissing contest with regards to my education and occupation so I will stop that there. You posting your grades to lend credence to your argument is in ill taste. To each his own I guess.

I used "Copy and Paste" as a figure of speech. The information you have provided is correct and valid, but its general knowledge. I was hoping for a more detailed position on your part.

We have derailed this thread enough.

North American society is experiencing a trend of growth with respect to interconnectivity, this is just another phase. I think we can all agree that we share a hope that this is not used for nefarious purposes.

Edit: Star to each of your posts, for defending your position, regardless of your means. To often does one back down from a "tenuous" position when confronted.

top topics

join