It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funding NASA for Dummies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ok, kinda tired of all the NASA bashing and reading how we could be saving the world if we weren't wasting all this time and money in space.

Look at it this way.

NASA gets .005% of the Annual National Budget.

Now lets say you earn 35,000 annually.

35,000 x .005 = $175 per year or $14.58 per month.

I know people who spend more than $15 a month on soda and candy.

The amount of money 'wasted' by Space Exploration is miniscule and actually gets a return on its investment. The knowledge we have gained is worth its weight it gold.

edit on 9-8-2012 by jstanthrno1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Another misconception is the thought that we blast the money into space. It actually ends up right back in the economy. If the parts and labor are American made, then the money goes back to America.

You don't eat money when you buy a hamburger, and you don't shoot money into space when you send a rocket out there. But, you can reap the benefits of these actions in exchange for money.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The problem is with NASA. They are obviously cowtowing to the Military Space Command and the Air Force, and hide things, play games with releases, manipulate imagery (by their own admission) and absolutely cannot be trusted, ever. Just like any other Federal entity.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I don't like Tyson, but the man makes a good point.

"How much would you pay for the universe?"

edit on 9-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

Far more is spent on defense and I'm certain the Military has their own Space Exploration projects. I think NASA has just enough funding to keep interesting missions alive and keep the public thinking they are the cutting edge of technology.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

and hide things, play games with releases, manipulate imagery (by their own admission) and absolutely cannot be trusted, ever.

All of their results are released. It's just the places you go make it seem like they are hiding something.
Try going to NASA directly for your info.

Out of all the gov agencies I feel NASA is the most transparent. Not that I agree with the way they spend all of their funds.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1
Ok, kinda tired of all the NASA bashing and reading how we could be saving the world if we weren't wasting all this time and money in space.

Look at it this way.

The amount of money 'wasted' by Space Exploration is miniscule and actually gets a return on its investment. The knowledge we have gained is worth its weight it gold.

Not to mention the TENS OF THOUSANDS of jobs they create with thousands of companies.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

The average person actually contributes much less than that:

www.spaceexplorationday.us...

Your figure would be applicable at a percentage of total salary, instead of the actual rate taken out of total taxes paid.
edit on 9-8-2012 by preezy120 because: percentages incorrect

edit on 9-8-2012 by preezy120 because: percentages incorrect

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Good thread, OP.
While many of us feel frustrated with the avalanche of post asking to use NASA's money to "save da children", THIS is the right way to answer. Hard facts.
Thanks for bringing this information forward.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1

Look at it this way.

Can you please show a link where the info for :" NASA gets .005% of the Annual National Budget."

I would like to read the break down of this #

edit on 9-8-2012 by azureskys because: aw never mind

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
If you're not wikiphobic you can read it HERE
According to the table in that article, in 2011 nasa's budget represented a 0.53% of the Federal Budget.
I admit, accounting is not my forte, I may be misreading something.
Hope it helps.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Thank you, but I must confess,
I actually all ready knew the % was much higher than .005... like at least .40%.
Just wanted the OP'er to show a link to and proof of the outlandish percentage in the post.

Ya want to know something really funny yet sad? My mom thinks NASA is fully privately funded, with no help from the Govt. Oops I mean taxpayers
Scary 'cause she is a faithful voter and helps to keep things the way they are.
Some peoples parents

It may be that.53% of NASA's Budget, is funded from Gov. Money, instead of.53% of the Gov.Budget

edit on 9-8-2012 by azureskys because: added more

edit on 9-8-2012 by azureskys because: changed some words

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I don't care if NASA's budget is even a penny. It's not about the money, it's about the principles. Why do some Americans conveniently forget that one of the main reasons that started the revolution and later our independence was principle of "taxation without representation"? Many Americans are not in favor of NASA research and do not want their tax dollars funding it, which essentially makes it taxation without representation if the government wants to fund this with their money. The only exception, according to the constitution, is the military and all other associated branches (weapons design, R&D, etc).

And secondly, $2.5 billion is not a joke. That money could have been better spent building new, state-of-the-art, solid-state laser weapons for the military.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The % sign was a mistake but the math is still right.

$15 a month to the average person is a fair comparison to the budget NASA is dealt.

We spend more money on foreign aid, not to mention welfare in this country. You can't help them all.

top topics

join