It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States leads China in ‘real’ medal count - Let the Conditioning Begin.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Link to Article

Our real medal count ignores Olympic disciplines like gymnastics and diving and instead focuses on sports where winners are determined on the field of play. When Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps wins a race, the result is objective and undeniable. Gabby Douglas winning the women's all-around was one of the most memorable moments of the first week. But why did she win a gold over Victoria Komova? Because some judges said she was 0.259 better? It wouldn't be so insulting if we weren't the rubes who accept it like it's real. Gymnastics wins aren't victories, they're subjective decisions based on objective-sounding rules. So factor all of that out when talking about medal counts.

China isn't ahead, the United States is.

Lol, I had to laugh when I saw this. Of Course it's on yahoo, and most people will just see the head line and take it for face value. I can see people talking about this in their workplace, using finger quotes, like they we're told the hush hush facts. We American's are good at that, even if we're wrong, we're right.

Check out the whole article, this guy is a trip, he even made tables.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Just had a look at the medals given for firearm events and if there was something i expected the americans to walk over but it seems not to be the case

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
He does have a point, though, from what I read in the quote anyways. I'm not even American.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I could care less about the Olympics. Except Michael Phelps, because over achievers are interesting to me.

There is nothing fair about the olympics. Whatever country can put the most money in, wins.

Then you do have sports where the judging is subjective, and more than once, I have seen a country counted against.

It is nothing against the athletes, but I will consider the olympics a serious contest when every country is given the same money, and same leverage to compete.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm not sure what money has to do with it. money doesn't make these people better athletes. Having a larger population base is probably what helps the most.

I don't think he has a point at all. He's acting like a sore loser and trying to discredit certain events, simply because they are judged events. And We knew what events would be at the olympics, it's our fault for not preparing well enough. In years past, when we were winning gymnastic events and other judged events, we weren't complaining about any bias. It's two-faced.

Even if you don't care about the olympics it may still be wise to account for how many people that do.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

Money=better trainers, better facilities,better equipment,better nutritionists,better weight trainers,better food.
Not to mention the best medical care and physical therapy. Do you think a runner in Jamaica is getting the best sports medicine doctor money can buy?

Money has A LOT to do with it.

If Michael Phelps swam at teh YMCA, ate regular junk that other young guys eat, and had a high school swim coach, would he win that many medals?
edit on 8-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join