It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if oxygen is poisonous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My mate sits opposite me at work and I’m sat working away and he turns around and says to me

“What if oxygen is poisonous and it just takes 80 years to kill us?

It’s got me thinking now!
Is this a good question or just stupid?

Regards Jamie
edit on 7-8-2012 by ototheb85 because: MOOOOOO

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
somones been smokin the devils lettuce

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If we don't breath oxygen.. we die. Pretty much our entire body needs oxygen in some way shape or form. Our brain uses about 20% of our oxygen consumption.

So no basically.

Edit 2 add: We age because our DNA replicates constantly but as we get older it starts replicating glitches. We die because our vital organs break down, usually our heart.. (Assuming natural causes) or cancer which isn't really natural in my opinion, more so caused by our own doing.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ototheb85

I thought that at one point about Aliens , what if oxygen is poisonous to them and that's why they have never landed on the whitehouse lawn !

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Ill have what he is having

Well I doubt that it is.
We have developed so much over centuries that it shows that oxygen really does not kill.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Yes and no.

Oxygen IS very toxic and reactive in general (hence oxidation destroying quite a few non-living things - fire being a fast oxidation reaction, rust, etc...), but is necessary to life on earth given our specifics. With pressure changes, this is a different story.

Aging, however, seems to be a genetic function that I believe we are getting closer to understanding and possibly mastering - doesn't appear to have much to do with oxygen in our case.

Take care.
edit on 8/7/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

link   
That would mean humans are from MARS

link   
reply to post by rick004

Ahh aliens.
There is so many different types. How do we know if they live amoung us?
They may not even be human sized or any bigger. For all we know they might be ants.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
You've heard of oxidation, and oxidizers,....right?

Oxygen is destructive to most elements. I think it might be pretty amazing that we've been able to adapt to so much of it.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 3dman7

I think we adjust it.
Just like fish to water.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
worst case its part of the prison bars if a prison planet existed
bars to keep the body draining until what is called death occures and the soul energy is mindwiped and reimplanted.
edit on 8/7/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Every cell in your body needs it I think , and its one of the most important substances in our system and we are built to use it . Try holding your breath a few days and get back to me if you think I'm wrong.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
An anaerobic organism or anaerobe is any organism that does not require oxygen for growth. It could possibly react negatively and may even die if oxygen is present. Most such species are unicellular microbes, though some are near-microscopic metazoa and some deep-sea worms. Some largely unicellular anaerobic microbes are protists, but most of the anaerobic microbes are bacteria or Archaea. For practical purposes there are three categories:

obligate anaerobes, which cannot use oxygen for growth and are even harmed by it
aerotolerant organisms, which cannot use oxygen for growth, but tolerate the presence of it
facultative anaerobes, which can grow without oxygen but can utilize oxygen if it is present
[color=cyan] In human beings these organisms are usually found in gastrointestinal tract.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The short and long answer is No.

However

"Life is by definition a terminal disease"

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
gastrointestinal tract tells alot about a CREATOR CREATION that is until they evolve beyond the need to digest in that way and can have a whole nano tract designed to absorbe energy from living and dying things.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

OK , that one just broke my brain and I even understood it LOLS

edit on 7-8-2012 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ototheb85
My mate sits opposite me at work and I’m sat working away and he turns around and says to me

“What if oxygen is poisonous and it just takes 80 years to kill us?

Regards Jamie
edit on 7-8-2012 by ototheb85 because: MOOOOOO

Well, oxygen is dangerous, for a variety of reasons, and physiologically it can lead to death. Oxygen is a free-radical and can be cancer-causing. Oxygen is not harmless. We breath 21% oxygen in the atmosphere. During emergencies you can administer up to 100% oxygen, but these levels must not be exceeded much further past 48 hours. This can lead to oxygen toxicity. Basically, the cells in your lungs responsible for their strutural integrity come apart. There are also a number of other damaging effects of O2 besides the lungs. Percentages up to approximately 45% can be maintained for longer periods without danger. High flow O2 can also be dangerous to premature babies and cause blindness. This is a very simplistic summary of oxygen toxicity but you get the point.

So, just like all things in life, too much of any one thing can be bad. Great question.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Try holding your breath a few days and get back to me if you think I'm wrong.

Excellent point, blue! But it's actually the increase in carbon dioxide that makes us gasp when we hold our breath, not a lack of oxygen. Body tissues remain saturated with oxygen for several minutes before hypoxia (low levels of blood in our tissues) occurs. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm board certified in Critical Care

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3dman7
You've heard of oxidation, and oxidizers,....right?

Oxygen is destructive to most elements. I think it might be pretty amazing that we've been able to adapt to so much of it.

Excellent insight, you nailed it. Yes, oxygen can be very destructive, and like both you and Helz below you stated, our bodies adapt to our environment and health conditions by adapting, or maintaining homeostasis. Our bodies are constantly adjusting levels of electrolytes, oxygen, carbon dioxide, acids, bases, minerals, etc, etc.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Oxygen destroys anything like life that doesn't have a barrier, like a cell wall. Most models (if not all) that show evolution depend on a non-oxygenated environment for life to begin, yet earliest rock formations show signs of oxygen being present....so back to the drawing board?

join