It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously, why is everybody using "g-dam" in every single one of their sentences?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
its starting to bother me, people all around me, everywhere i look, all have such a lack of creativity.

everyone gets angry, and its always "g-dam this" "g-dam that"

not only does that really make G angry (if your beliefs have anything to do with that)

but on top of that, its just getting really repetitive, and over used.

cmon everyone, give something else a try for a while, do it for you, because you want to come up with a better more satisfying thing to say when your p*ssed off.

how about "you hypocritical contradicting [SNIP]"

or "manipulative jumping pet [SNIP]"
or even "you squirrely ninja piece of [SNIP]"

im just saying.

peace alright?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
See thesaurus.com for better alternatives.
edit on 6-8-2012 by Gemwolf because: Left note.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

When you are pissed off and trying to vent it out...the last thing you want is to trip over your words because they contain more than 2 syllables. Its old, its over used...but g-dam is it effective lol...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Dear SoymilkAlaska,

That is the point though isn't it. Why would an atheist bother asking God to damn anything and why would a Christian say it when we are told not too? It is a short cut to know who to ignore. Peace.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It's just a word and the dam part is spelled damn....
Just sayin.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear SoymilkAlaska,

That is the point though isn't it. Why would an atheist bother asking God to damn anything and why would a Christian say it when we are told not too? It is a short cut to know who to ignore. Peace.

i think i see your point.

peace.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Once could cite many factors... media influence being one. Repeating what we grew up hearing as well. Shock value being another. A desire to offend a specific target or group of people still another.

My thought? We're lazy with our profanity. It is easy to spew four letter words in a moment of rage. But to take the time to be creative and add something like "I hope red ants nest in your colon and I know for a fact that you secretly pleasure yourself to old pictures of Nsync" takes discipline - and discipline is not something that comes easy when one is engulfed by and filled with primitive war emotions.

But, ultimately, any insult is just a word ( or words ) spewed out to illicit a reaction. Remove the reaction and the entire process becomes pointless and embarassing to the person engaging in it.

Oh, and I truly believe that if Jesus were to decide to show up for a stroll down some street today and someone threw a "GD" at him my honest thought is that he'd just shrug it off and figure that we all fall short and he wouldn't give it a second thought.

Personally I'd rather deal with a potty mouth than to watch some shady TV preacher conning folks out of their money. That, to me, is where the real blasphemy happens.

Just my opinions...

~Heff

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I look at it as a request of my higher power, to take time out of his (or her) busy schedule and "Damn" the person or thing causing me frustration. they say "Don't take the lords name in vein". I don't think it's in vein, I'm making a legitimate request & wouldn't be shocked if I got results.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The phrase means you're asking God to damn the thing that made you upset.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Would you rather have them exclaiming the ubiquitous WTF?

As far as the term "God damn," in my view if there was a God, he WOULD be damning much of human activity today. If I was God, I would be more pissed at the pereversion of religions about God than any other human activity. On that heavenly watered list I would also include those that pretend to preach about me.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

We do not allow use of the G_D_ term in our home. If someone uses the term we try to tell them politely as possible that we find that term to be offensive and ask them to respect the rules of our home and refrain from using that particular phrase. If they continue to use G_D_ we tell them if they are so intellectually limited that they can't be creative enough to use some other phrase then maybe they should go elsewhere. We don't have many rules in our house, but that is a big one that my husband and I have always agreed on.

We also have a problem with O_M_G_. Since it is mostly younger people who seem to have a problem with using that one to death we inform them of our feelings about the phrase, then offer some possible substitute phrases. If it continues we inform them that if it continues they will not be allowed in our home anymore. So far it has worked out well as everybody respects our rules and kind of makes a game out of coming up with alternative phrases. The occasional slip up is immediately followed by an apology and usually an interesting alternative.

It is not lack of vocabulary skills that cause this problem of overuse of certain terms. It is laziness and pure habit that causes it. People will not break a bad habit unless there is motivation to do so. We can't control what kind of language people use in general, but we can certainly control what sort of language is used in our own home.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

"I hope red ants nest in your colon and I know for a fact that you secretly pleasure yourself to old pictures of Nsync"

That was beautiful.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It is old school cussin'

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Maybe people just have an appreciation for dams? They do hold back a lot of water and provide a lot of electrical power for people you know. So really, what's not to like about them?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I say it in a different sense, what I mean is ''Please God, Damn this pain!''

Goddamnit!
edit on 6-8-2012 by rambo1112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
come to So.Cali, we drop the F bomb 3 times a sentence. Swear To God!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I prefer to use the following:

Futher mucker
Mother chicken clucker
holy cheese balls
ning nut
you slug in a ditch
horse puckey
and my favorite of all.....
son of bean dip, you mother frito