It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LIght-arms tactics against TANK Warfare

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catacomb

Also, one point about bomb-dogs: Even if you're cool with it, and you think it's going to work once It Kicks Off, you're lacking the key thing the Red Army had in order to train the dogs in the first place:

A tank to run under.

I am guessing you have your tongue firmly planted in cheek? Otherwise, silly statement.

Really? How *do* you intend to get a dog to believe there's food under specific 60-ton objects then? Because if you're just hiding steak under your parents' car then the first thing that'll happen when you let slip the dogs of Suburbia is... it'll run under a car. Not a tank. Because it has no reason to believe that's where the food/treat/bait is.

And *I'm* the one making silly statements?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
No mention yet of Concertina wire as an obstacle? It's very effective at disabling a tank, have seen it happen before.

Set triple strand C wire up, and a tank crew will have to dismount to clear it.
They will not willingly drive through it.
Once they dismount...

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Why not just use bubble gum?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SymbolicLogic

I'm sorry, have you seen the effects of concertina wire on tracked vehicles as well and have something to add?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

You're talking about this?

compass.seacadets.org...

Perhaps you should watch this?

www.youtube.com...

Honestly I'm thinking that Stryker brigades are more useful in an urban environment than tanks.... fire support capabilities along with drones?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Or just put a bulldozer in front of the tank?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Yep, that video showing the explosive test has a triple strand setup of C wire. Not many would think it a formidable obstacle for a tank, but it is. Sure it'll drive on through it no problem, but won't be making it very far after that.

Thanks for sharing the video.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82

I'm sorry, have you seen the effects of concertina wire on tracked vehicles as well and have something to add?

You won't get people to tell you much in detail....but that little wire is capable of damaging some very thick metal that always leaves you scratching your head how such a little wire did so much damage.

I'd use a paintball gun against a tank. She stops in her tracks when she's blinded.

Do you think China and Iran are making some paintballs out of some kind of slime that's really really hard to clean off?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

While you make some valid points, I would like to point out that we have a tendency to develop tactics in warfare, only to stop using them in future engagements. One of these formally mastered tactics was the Tank/Infantry combination. It is a tactic we would learn and perfect in warfare, only to stop training our troops afterwards. Our troops would the improvise tactics, which were essentialy relearing the tactics our previous generation of troops had honed. In the jungles of vietnam, or even the jungles of world war two, infantry would establish a perimeter around a tank, and would slowly move as one unit in mutual support. The infantry would engage threats, such as anti-tank rockets and the like, protecting the tank. When things got hot, the tank would provide direct fire support for the grunts, usually at the direction of a platoon leader talking to the tank through a comm box at the rear of the tank. In urban areas, infantry would move down the streets first, clearing buildings and doing their normal sweep and clear ops. When they became pinned down by heavy fire, the tank would move up and take out the structures from where the main threats (such as crew served weapons) were positioned. While some tanks are lost in these operations, their value has not been lost on the men who worked in these operational pairings. Other traditional roles have been to use tanks as cover for the infantry when assaulting defensive lines over open ground. A tank can make or break an op, and it is wiser to use them when you have them than to declare them obsolete. Even the old Iowa class battleships, which are considered obsolete by everyone out there, is still an effective wepons platform when used properly.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What does shredding concertina have to do with using concertina on a tank to immobilize it?

Originally posted by SymbolicLogic
reply to post by Sek82

You're talking about this?

compass.seacadets.org...

Perhaps you should watch this?

www.youtube.com...

Honestly I'm thinking that Stryker brigades are more useful in an urban environment than tanks.... fire support capabilities along with drones?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pacific_waters

You be trolling. Keep on trolling. Trolling trolling.

<< 1  2   >>

join