It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard and the Making of the Unabomber, brutalizing psychological experiments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Posting this in light of all the question surrounding James Holmes,

Harvard and the Making of the Unabomber

This is fascinating,

Harvard and the Making of the Unabomber

In the fall of 1958 Theodore Kaczynski, a brilliant but vulnerable boy of sixteen, entered Harvard College. There he encountered a prevailing intellectual atmosphere of anti-technological despair. There, also, he was deceived into subjecting himself to a series of purposely brutalizing psychological experiments -- experiments that may have confirmed his still-forming belief in the evil of science. Was the Unabomber born at Harvard? A look inside the files

deceived into subjecting himself to a series of purposely brutalizing psychological experiments

www.theatlantic.com...

I had no idea.

Through research at the Murray Center and in the Harvard archives I found that, among its other purposes, Henry Murray's experiment was intended to measure how people react under stress. Murray subjected his unwitting students, including Kaczynski, to intensive interrogation -- what Murray himself called "vehement, sweeping, and personally abusive" attacks, assaulting his subjects' egos and most-cherished ideals and beliefs.

My quest was specific -- to determine what effects, if any, the experiment may have had on Kaczynski. This was a subset of a larger question: What effects had Harvard had on Kaczynski? In 1998, as he faced trial for murder, Kaczynski was examined by Sally Johnson, a forensic psychiatrist with the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, at the order of a court. In her evaluation Johnson wrote that Kaczynski "has intertwined his two belief systems, that society is bad and he should rebel against it, and his intense anger at his family for his perceived injustices." The Unabomber was created when these two belief systems converged. And it was at Harvard, Johnson suggested, that they first surfaced and met. She wrote,

During his college years he had fantasies of living a primitive life and fantasized himself as "an agitator, rousing mobs to frenzies of revolutionary violence." He claims that during that time he started to think about breaking away from normal society.

It was at Harvard that Kaczynski first encountered the ideas about the evils of society that would provide a justification for and a focus to an anger he had felt since junior high school.

Although something I had suspected for a long time, how the Universities mold the minds.
edit on 123131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Poor quackie, he quacked under pressure.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
There were (and I believe, ARE) some very unethical and cruel human experimentation going on in our hallowed halls of higher academia. It is covered up, of course, because destroying a human being, whether physically or psychologically, is considered to be morally reprehensible.

Follow the money to learn who pays for these abominations, and for what nefarious purposes.

Nice find, OP. These types of individuals aren't created in a vacuum.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, I am still working on the topic.
BBL

new topics

top topics

join